aeron

Triston McKenzie - SP CLE

McKenzie goes again tonight. Already had a really good outing this year when he went

5 2/3IP 3H 1ER 2BB 5Ks

Hopefully he can keep it going tonight at Hi-A

There was also a tweet by Norris that a scout in attendance threw out a 70 grade on the curve.

He's got all the makings of a monster.

• Like 1

Longenhagen at Fangraphs wrote about him today:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/daily-prospect-notes-419/

Notes
McKenzie has mature strike-throwing ability and good stuff, sitting in the low-90s with a potential plus curveball, and he’s likely to make quick work of A-ball hitters because of this combination. But before you start expecting McKenzie to reach the upper minors as a teenager, note that his work load is being babied early on. Over three starts he’s averaging just 77 pitches per appearance. McKenzie is one of the thinnest pitching prospects many scouts have ever seen, and while his physical projection is an intriguing aspect of his future, this is still a 19-year-old who hasn’t yet grown into his 6-foot-5 frame and should be handled with care.

There's video of a filthy curve at the link.

BA also has a big piece on him today:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/triston-mckenzie-growing/#GvRSLydMQZqeIEyU.97

The 19-year-old righthander flashed a fastball up to 94 mph, a devastating curveball that one evaluator in attendance graded future plus, and commanded his stuff well enough to throw 55 of his 84 pitches for strikes.  

“Everything we’ve asked him he’s done,” Lynchburg pitching coach Rigo Beltran said. “He’s always prepared mentally. Physically we’re hoping he’s going to get a little stronger as he gets older, but he’s in a good spot. At 19 years old, competing at this level and getting people out and being successful, it’s fun to watch.”  

The aforementioned desire to get McKenzie physically stronger has long been a goal with him. McKenzie, the No. 42 overall pick in 2015, stands a rail-thin 6-foot-5, 165 pounds, and adding strength in order to hold his velocity deeper into games is one of his main goals this season.

McKenzie showed some early returns on that goal. He dropped to 87-89 mph near the end of his outing, but reached back to find 91 on his final pitch of the night for a strikeout.  

Even with diminished velocity, McKenzie still had the guile to strike out the side in his fifth and final inning, including getting Brewers No. 4 prospect Corey Ray  swinging.  “A lot of it is just kind of reading the hitters and trusting my catcher and trusting my coach,” McKenzie said. “Understanding what guys’ tendencies are and learning from earlier at-bats. If I got a swing and miss on a fastball or curveball or changeup, it’s just about understanding how the hitter is thinking, especially later in the game when my velo is down a bit.”  

But even with those shortcomings, he controlled the tempo and got swings and misses all night against a talented Mudcats lineup that featured three of the Brewers’ top six prospects. He struck out Ray twice, held No. 5 prospect Isan Diaz  0-for-2 with a strikeout, and kept No. 6 prospect Trent Clark 0-for-1 with a weak infield chopper.

There's video at the link.

• Like 1

Time for a promotion? Tonight's monster line:

6IP, 1H, 0ER, 1BB, 14Ks

• Like 2

I really think I'd rather have Triston over any other pitching prospect right now.

Edited by FouLLine

1 hour ago, 12to6 said:

Time for a promotion? Tonight's monster line:

6IP, 1H, 0ER, 1BB, 14Ks

whats even more impressive? He shut down the high A team loaded with high upside hitters

Corey Ray, Lucas Erceg, Isan Diaz, Jacob Gatewood, Trent Clark 

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Windgara said:

how close is he to getting called up?

He's in High A. I think AA will happen this year. If he's lights out next year, maybe he gets a shot after the All-Star break. But 2019 seems more realistic 

He's only 19 and skinny as a rail and hasn't built up innings in a season yet. He will be a late call up next year is the earliest, but 2019 is probably likeliest. 

An uncharacteristically wild outing today: 5IP (out of a 7IP game), 4H, 1ER, 5BB, 6K. 

26 minutes ago, Steve gar said:

McKenzie has the highest ceiling of any pitching prospect in the minors.

I'd say Kopech if we are going strictly on ceiling, but McKenzie is right there as well.

22 hours ago, 12to6 said:

An uncharacteristically wild outing today: 5IP (out of a 7IP game), 4H, 1ER, 5BB, 6K. 

And still positives to take from it.  The 6Ks in five innings, the fact that he did walk five and give up four hits but only one ER - he mitigated the damage and got outs when he needed to. 

5 hours ago, oswald737 said:

I'd say Kopech if we are going strictly on ceiling, but McKenzie is right there as well.

According to some guy at BA, he's not a top 5 SP yet:

Noel (Portland): Is Triston McKenzie one of the 5 best pitching prospects in the game?
Vincent Lara-Cinisomo: He’s not top five yet, but he is on the rise. Got a great combination of stuff and poise; he has added durability as well, giving comfort that he can be a starter despite how thin he is.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-june-9-2/#TwTOVTuRzHjpKD9T.99

15 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

Walker Buehler has a higher ceiling

True, but not sure I'd say he's a Top 5 SP in the minors right now.

2 hours ago, 12to6 said:

True, but not sure I'd say he's a Top 5 SP in the minors right now.

From pure stuff standpoint, I'd say he is.