aeron

Triston McKenzie - SP CLE

I think Buehler and McKenzie are very similar. Big stuff...small frames. 

Buehler has the superior fastball...but I think McKenzie has the better secondary offerings.

There are a lot of talented arms in the minors, but Buehler and McKenzie have to be really highly regarded at this point. Their slight frames are the only concern.

Got completely pounded, 7ER in 1.2 but doesn't worry me at all, faced same lineup a couple starts earlier with 13Ks. Let's see how he handles a little adversity. 

Some 4th of July fireworks! 7IP, 3H, 0ER, 0BB, 11Ks

A promotion can't be far off. 

• Like 5

He had a couple bad starts back to back and I figured he was tiring on the season, but he's come back with a vengeance since.  Hopefully he starts next season in AA. 

Probably my favorite pitching prospect right now. 

• Like 1

Last outing of the year - 7IP 0 ER 3H 2BB 10K

Last six outings - 36.1IP 9ER 28H 6BB 54K

Kid has to the most off the radar unheralded pitching prospect going right now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Last outing of the year - 7IP 0 ER 3H 2BB 10K

Last six outings - 36.1IP 9ER 28H 6BB 54K

Kid has to the most off the radar unheralded pitching prospect going right now.

Is he that unheralded? He ranged from about 20-35 overall in the various midseason lists, as a kid who hasn't pitched yet at any of the higher levels and despite still having some scouts questioning whether he can handle starting at the MLB level if he doesn't put on some weight. That's pretty heralded.

I really like McKenzie. I owned him for a while until someone really high on him gave me good offer for him. I still think there is risk there though.  Maybe it's a lazy comparison because of his build, but he reminds me a lot of Carl Edwards Jr. Edwards was great during his time at A/A+ too (though he didn't have many starts at A+). Edwards had similar K rates, worse control, better GB%, HR%, and ERA. There are of course enough differences there to like McKenzie more. Edwards was a college guy so was several years older, and he wasn't nearly the regarded draft prospect McKenzie was. I'd love for McKenzie to be able to withstand the MLB workload year after year.

The full workload this year with good results does a lot to quell those concerns, and it's good that he is coming back in September and pitching well. His ERA in July and August was 3.81 and 3.93. All said, I think his rankings seem about right. Right on that borderline top tier, but not at the top of the lists which reflects the higher level of risk there. If he validates next year by putting out another strong, healthy year in AA then he'll shoot up higher and get more talk as the top SP prospect by mid-year next year.

Edited by jorp
  • Like 1

I guess maybe a more accurate way of putting it would have been he doesn't get talked about as much as some of the others that he belongs with, which I can somewhat understand since he's in A-ball, but I don't think anyone really has to worry about that if he goes out and keeps doing what he did this year.

• Like 3

Indians VP of player development (or something along those lines) was just on the radio briefly discussing some prospects among other things. Anyway he said TMac was shut down but is on a 'quick return throwing program' I may have misquoted him but that's basically what he said. It sounds truly precautionary and he should be back sooner than later. 

• Thanks 1

From Fangraphs prospect chat on May 3:

Carlton, Ritz: Forgive me for a fantasy-related query: Triston McKenzie, worth stashing now for use in 2018? Or do you think he’s more of a 2019 guy?

Eric A Longenhagen: I’d wait and see. Still haven’t seen him in extended nor been notified when or if he’s throwing so I assume he’s still hurt and is not.

Starting to wonder here. Would be nice to hear something concrete but I've looked around and haven't found anything.

Finally, some real news:

Indians minor league director James Harris said McKenzie is back on the mound in Arizona after an extended rest.

"He's in the process of getting (his arm) built back up,'' Harris said. "I don't want to put a hard date on it, but we're hoping to get him to Akron sometime within the next month. Our hope is mid-to-late June."

• Thanks 1

Another decent outing:

6IP, 2H, 2ER, 2BB, 7K, 96 pitches

Some good stats over is last three games: 17 2/3 IP, 11H, 5ER, 6BB, 22K. WHIP of 1.00, K/9 over 9. Settling into AA. 

Edited by 12to6