fabrar

Anthony Davis 2016-17 Season Outlook

1,023 posts in this topic

Just a year ago we were discussing The Brow as the future of ball, both real life and fantasy. And then the disastrous injury laden 15-16 season happened and Davis' value as a fantasy asset and reputation as a player IRL plummeted. He has barely been in any kind of conversation about the best players in the league. Curry just dropped a bombshell of a season on us; Lebron reclaimed his throne as the King; Westbrook racked up triple doubles like it was nothing; Draymond played like a combination of Pippen, CP3 and his own Splash Bros teammates; Lillard dropped multiple 50 pt games and took a seemingly laughable Blazers squad to the playoffs...etc etc...With the emergence of so many amazing players, is it possible for AD to fight his way back up the food chain or will yet another season get derailed by injury and a seemingly weak constitution and pain threshold?

Absolutely. He's capable. But I think we all know what's holding him back. There's a strong perception that he's not going to be on the court for 20 games in any given season, and I think we've got enough evidence to expect that to be the case. Until he proves that that perception is wrong, he's going to be treated the way I think he's correctly being treated: a mid-1st rounder.

No. He is injury prone and he doesn't have a coach to take him there. It was established last season when the coach pushed him out of the paint to shoot threes and he still got hurt and didn't do squat.

1 person likes this

Just curious, why is he so injury-prone?  Is it his body type?  Training techniques?

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Just curious, why is he so injury-prone?  Is it his body type?  Training techniques?

Style of play.

If he falls to pick 5-8, I'd consider him. If he falls outside of the top 8 I'm grabbing him for sure.

The strategy with AD is to hold him until he has 10-15 outstanding games without injury and then trade him away to a GM for someone like Curry, KD, Harden, etc.

But he has burned me in the past with his untimely injuries so I can understand if he's on a lot of DND lists this year.

2 people like this

As a former Brow owner, I think the following should summarize the entire experience of owning the man:

'Never Again'.

He might be a walking 30/11/3 on a nightly basis but the very idea of watching him reenact the opening chapters of 'All is quiet on the Western Front' every time someone sneezes in his direction too hard is just too much of an adrenaline rush that I can't endure anymore.   

3 people like this

But let's not forget he was a also a huge letdown when on court. He was basically a FT killer all season long. His blocks also took a significant dip. 

I'd rather gamble on KAT then on this fool

I wouldn't touch him until the #7 pick or spend more than 50-55$ in auctions, but I have a feeling that he will be a great steal this season..

I would prefer the more safe option of KAT over him but not LBJ or CP3 as I am not sure that those 2 will play much more games than Brow especially in fantasy play-offs or have even better production...

1 person likes this

AD is a good buy low target especially in Dynasty leagues. High risk high reward. His owners are probably sick of him at this point you may pull off an upset.

Of course I would only do this if you are a middle of the pack team and need to make a gamble to get the win. Or if you really have nothing to lose and make or break for next year's supposedly higher potential draft class.

My my what a difference from this point last year. Everyone and their pet dogs wanted this unibrow freak because they all thought he would average at least 30 points 12 rebounds 1.5 to 2 threes a game and 4 blocks hahaha. The expectation was way too high for him to live up to it, but honestly he can still be a top 3 player if he can just stay healthy.

On 7/4/2016 at 8:26 PM, v1n5anity said:

Style of play.

I completely disagree.  It's his body.  He's long-limbed and very weak.

1 person likes this

So injury concerns aside, I'm wondering how the new team makeup will affect his numbers. Ball-dominant Eric Gordon is now gone, as well as Ryan Anderson, and I can't recall if they made any significant signings. What impact do you guys think this could have? 

14 hours ago, jay14bay said:

I completely disagree.  It's his body.  He's long-limbed and very weak.

He got injured by running into the stands last season. AD is fragile af. 

Remember when he got carried off the court in the third quarter during the Clippers game only to walk casually back to the bench during the 4th quarter of the same game due to only a knee contusion? 

Yeah that guy. All that is left on that team is him and Evans right? And Norris Cole?

i'll take the under on 65 games played.

11 hours ago, misterj said:

So injury concerns aside, I'm wondering how the new team makeup will affect his numbers. Ball-dominant Eric Gordon is now gone, as well as Ryan Anderson, and I can't recall if they made any significant signings. What impact do you guys think this could have? 

I think injury concerns are paramount. He hasn't proven he's able to handle what's asked from his in the past. He's going to have even more on his plate next year. His numbers should be up (although I wouldn't be surprised if losing a guy like Anderson has a negative fantasy impact on his numbers) per game, but how many games will he get in?

Lol @ the part in red.

Anthony Davis has reportedly added "some strength to his frame" this offseason, according to the team's website.

Here we go again. According to previous reports, Davis has reportedly gained 15 pounds of muscle in June of 2012, September of 2013, June of 2014 and September of 2015. If he gains 15 pounds of muscle again, that would mean he's gained more muscle since his college days than the weight of two average adult pelicans. Learn something new every day, right?

Source: NBA.com
S
3 people like this

"dont get suckered in. dont get suckered in. dont get suckered in," i tell myself as i rock back and forth in the fetal position. 

Edited by theantishere

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 1:10 PM, miasma16 said:

I think injury concerns are paramount. He hasn't proven he's able to handle what's asked from his in the past. He's going to have even more on his plate next year. His numbers should be up (although I wouldn't be surprised if losing a guy like Anderson has a negative fantasy impact on his numbers) per game, but how many games will he get in?

I agree. I remember that last year was the year he could have received a bonus if he made it to first team or something? He tried so hard to stay on the floor but he couldn't, even though it was obvious he really wanted that money.

I have this odd feeling that this is the year his health holds up. I would love to grab him at the end of the first round and just ride the ups and downs this year. Even with missing so many games last year he finished as a top 10 player and he had that 50 point game which was a good time to test the trade market. Or maybe it's all just wishful thinking. 

On 9/9/2016 at 9:51 PM, Paddy said:

I have this odd feeling that this is the year his health holds up. I would love to grab him at the end of the first round and just ride the ups and downs this year. Even with missing so many games last year he finished as a top 10 player and he had that 50 point game which was a good time to test the trade market. Or maybe it's all just wishful thinking. 

End of the 1st round?? I'd love to be in your league..

Quick overview of average stats, total value, and what their stats would look like averaged over 82 games, for the first 36 ranked players (avg, 9 cat yahoo).

Capture.jpg

Edited by PuzzBeterson

45 minutes ago, PuzzBeterson said:

Quick overview of average stats, total value, and what their stats would look like averaged over 82 games, for the first 36 ranked players (avg, 9 cat yahoo).

Capture.jpg

Dahntay Jones is my sleeper pick in the 2nd/3rd rd this year.

2 people like this