Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rhythms

Nikola Jokic 2016-17 Season Outlook

Michael Malone said that there's a "good chance" Kenneth Faried will start at power forward on opening night.

It's not surprising that Malone won't fully commit to the Manimal starting, as the big man averaged just 25.3 minutes per game last season and was outplayed by Darrell Arthur at times. This season won't be any easier for Faried, as the Nuggets re-signed Arthur and Malone may be tempted to pair Nikola Jokic and Jusuf Nurkic together at times. Faried has also been in the rumor mill for a while now and the Nuggets could test the trade waters again.

Possibly showcasing Faried is a bit redundant. Anybody who's interested in Faried already knows what he brings to the table. Logjam indeed, I don't think Jokic should be taken in the 3rd just yet. 

2 hours ago, PeachFaceSyndrome said:

Top 15? You're fooling yourself if you think you can still get him by then--this is the same guy that single-handedly destroyed DeMarcus, DeAndre, and Draymond on the big stage. Biggest jump of the offseason. Top 10 for sure.

lol.

I like his game but this guy has my vote for most likely player to be over-drafted (i.e. taken too early) on the upcoming season.  I get the sense people are going to reach way too hard (second round????) due to minutes and rookie/soph extrapolations.  Personally I would go 5th round at the earliest, preferably 6th.

Edit: If Faried gets dumped before the season starts, this bumps him 2 rounds for me.

I loved watching him play against Team USA but man Jokic has way too much momentum heading into drafts. Going to be way over drafted, especially for a team still having to give minutes to Faried and Nurkic in the beginning of season to figure their roster out.

I am going to get Jokic at all costs. He is this year's CJ McCollum.

1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

I loved watching him play against Team USA but man Jokic has way too much momentum heading into drafts. Going to be way over drafted, especially for a team still having to give minutes to Faried and Nurkic in the beginning of season to figure their roster out.

agreed. especially since we don't even know if nurkic will outshine him. he has lost tons of weight and earlier last season everyone thought nurkic would be the breakout star... he definitely still could be. they both could be at the same time...the point is the situation is too unknown. but some people like to take those huge gambles in the early rounds so they can be like "ha..told you so" and get the breakout star from a non big-name player. 

Remember that he's a per-minutes beast with little holes in his game.

Assuming he'll get even 2-3 more minutes will warrant him early-mid value. 10-7-1stl with a sprinkle of everything else, .500/.800, >1.5TO (with upside!) warrants mid value already.

One thing to throw into the equation: Nurkic averages around 3 fouls in under 18 minutes. Foul trouble on Nurkic could mean a bit more usage and playing time for Jokic. It's not much, and a very small variable, but if they're playing together on the court and there's one foul to be issued, my bet is that it will be on Nurkic.

I'm happy I have him in my dynasty. I think I took him like 9th round last year. 

It will be a great game tmr and team usa will plan a defense for him. It is a good barometer for if he can lead the nuggets to the next level because the Serbians have some nba talent players. Bogdonavic should also be a good guard in the NBA too. 

If he can make it a tight game, I am all in for his NBA future.

I grabbed Jokic off the wire last season and was very glad to have him, especially after Marc Gasol broke his foot. In a dynasty league, I wouldn't hesitate to buy early, but for this season I wouldn't take him before about the 45th pick (in 9 cat). He'll take a step forward, but other teams will be planning for him more, and Nurkic will probably be healthier and eat a few minutes.

Took him in the 4th round (16 teamer 56th overall) in our early h2h redraft money league. Some of my colleagues laughed at me why I took him that early. Let's see.

11 hours ago, BbFlyEmCeE said:

As long as you took him in the Marc Gasol area, I think you're safe!

I'm glad I have this guy in my dynasty, sure, but I wouldn't draft him there. Too much competition there for me to draft in a re-draft that early.  Just a hunch.

15 hours ago, Sanjo16 said:

Took him in the 4th round (16 teamer 56th overall) in our early h2h redraft money league. Some of my colleagues laughed at me why I took him that early. Let's see.

56th pick is ok and definitely not laughable. Surely we don't really know what to expect, but the guy finished 68th as a rookie with just 21 mins. 56th will be a normal improvement even if the frontcourt is crowded. They keep saying (Malone especially) how good he is so he won't play less than last year and he will be more ready with one year under his belt. I don't think in any case he ll fall under 65-70 (which is ok for a 56th pick), but if we are lucky and he gets 25+ he can go top 30-40. To laugh at such a pick is laughable.

I'm glad the logjam concerns exist. It will allow me to grab Jokic in rounds 6 and beyond. He is the most talented of the bunch and will get 25 mpg at the very least. Ranked #66 in 21.7 mpg last year. He is a lock for the top 50 with tons of upside; one of the easiest picks this year.

4 minutes ago, LuSamSiam said:

I'm glad the logjam concerns exist. It will allow me to grab Jokic in rounds 6 and beyond. He is the most talented of the bunch and will get 25 mpg at the very least. Ranked #66 in 21.7 mpg last year. He is a lock for the top 50 with tons of upside; one of the easiest picks this year.

I'd snatch him even earlier than that lol. I would be surprised if he fell to the 6th round in a competitive league to be honest.

I'm happy he struggled in the gold medal game though, slow the hype train a little lol. People were going nuts after his first game against USA.

I agree. If it is truly a competitive league he shouldn't last to round 6. I am prepared to take him earlier than that. Though still a ways to go before we get a good idea of what kind of hype (or lack of) there will be surrounding him come draft time.

5 hours ago, barcalover said:

There's no way Jokić goes anywhere lower than 60th pick.

I think you'll be surprised and quite wrong.

Maaan I thought I was high on Jokic but this board is going crazy. I really love Jokic and he was probably one of the most fun pickups I made last year, even with the single digit minute games sprinkled across his game log. But as your sixth round pick? I mean, this year is really deep. Do you really wanna take the gamble that Jokic produces enough consistently to be worth more than a guy like Tobias Harris even?

I'm hoping to get him in the 8th, and if someone takes him before then in my league God bless em. I can already see him being dropped when someone gets impatient so I'd rather hold out hope for that than to take him earlier than I know I should

3 hours ago, lethotjames said:

Do you really wanna take the gamble that Jokic produces enough consistently to be worth more than a guy like Tobias Harris even?

Easily.

Last year Harris played 33,1 minutes per game and finished ranked 60th for the season. Jokić played 21,7 minutes per game and finished ranked 68th for the season. Go figure.

10 hours ago, barcalover said:

There's no way Jokić goes anywhere lower than 60th pick.

I got Gortat at 90 last year. Conley was picked up in the 6th round.

You never know what's going to happen at the tail ends of the season: at the draft and in the playoffs.

In my draft (14 teams) I have pick# 58, and the next one is 83, so if he goes before 58 I won't be kicking myself.

2 minutes ago, barcalover said:

Easily.

Last year Harris played 33,1 minutes per game and finished ranked 60th for the season. Jokić played 21,7 minutes per game and finished ranked 68th for the season. Go figure.

eh harris is just a throwaway example. im just not convinced you take jokic that early

5 hours ago, Gorgeous George said:

I think you'll be surprised and quite wrong.

If he goes lower in leagues you play in, you're playing in some really weak leagues.

Just now, lethotjames said:

eh harris is just a throwaway example. im just not convinced you take jokic that early

My advice: take him THAT early :)