Kaboom

Ivica Zubac 2016-2017 Season Outlook

506 posts in this topic

Not a bad line tonight with 11/5/1 with a steal and 3 blocks. Now all he needs is a nickname. Hint: his name rhymes with "block". Hmmmmmmmmm . . . 

Edited by Kaboom

He looked great but I'm not expecting much from him as a rookie. I don't think he'll get nearly enough run to be fantasy relevant. If he does, the defensive stats won't be there. He's not a shot blocker in most games. 

Will be spending most of the season honing his craft in D League I'd say. Our big rotation is pretty tight as it is and then they're going to be playing Nance at the 5 for small ball spells. 

24 minutes ago, bonezi89 said:

they're going to be playing Nance at the 5 for small ball spells. 

That is absolutely not happening, watching a few minutes of him ever playing basketball would make that pretty obvious.

If Zubac plays well enough he'll be in the roster. If not, he could end up in the D-League. It's not a stretch that he'll make enough of an impression to get a roster spot over some of the borderline NBA players that Lakers have in the frontcourt.

On 12/07/2016 at 7:40 AM, bonezi89 said:

then they're going to be playing Nance at the 5 for small ball spells. 

Spells - short periods of time, minutes, when the situation dictates it. Not Nance is the permanent 5 to enable the Lakers to play permanent small ball. 

I have watched too many Laker minutes in recent times so yes it is pretty obvious to me that it is happening and has actually already happened, he spent 31% of his minutes on the court last season at the 5.

With Luke as coach now we will be seeing fair chunks of small ball and Nance is the best fit at C in that scenario with what he can do, mostly on the defensive end for his versatility and ability to provide some form of rim protection in a small lineup, but he also spaces the floor better than Randle and his basketball IQ is miles ahead at the moment.

Back to Zubacca I can see him eventually stealing minutes from Black as backup C to Mozgov, but initially he'll probably be carving the D-League up with the D-Fenders.  He can't play PF so that's really the only front court spot he can earn minutes at.

Edited by bonezi89
2 people like this

Feel like he's gonna be getting a lot of DNP-CDs (at least in the first half of the season). Mozgov being out helps right now, probably won't keep this up though

Looking good tonight, and notably has gotten the most center minutes in a close game.

10/12/3 blocks and a steal with a few mins left.

i ran as fast as i could. i had montrezl. mozgov's +/- was in the can tonight and zubac's is +8, time for a dice roll

He should be added in all 14+ teams right now to see what happens.

young big should be starting going forward, youngy development, more energy, better basketball IQ, better rim protector than Mozgov. 

3 minutes ago, LuSamSiam said:

Anybody know anything about this dude? Can he shoot free throws??

83% FT in the D league this year, so yep. He has range out to the 3 as well (36%).

Edited by Kaboom
2 people like this

The question is will he start or not? I need one more big and if he could start and get consistent 22 minutes he would be perfect.

was tonight more matchup based? do lakers ever play small with randle at the 5?

Which bigs game does he resemble the most? Would he be a Jokic type player? 

Luke is making it a point to develop him/get him more minutes. I picked him up in a 12 teamer. Zubac was a fan favorite in preseason.

1 person likes this

Just now, Gdupm6 said:

Which bigs game does he resemble the most? Would he be a Jokic type player? 

Yeap, Marc Gasol lite.

Just now, stickman786 said:

The question is will he start or not? I need one more big and if he could start and get consistent 22 minutes he would be perfect.

He was the #11 player in summer league and then he was awesome in the D league. Luke Walton said before the game that he "earned his minutes" and gave him a career-high 26 mins tonight. I'm not sure it matters if he starts if he can do this off the bench. He's 19 years old btw.    

12 teamer seems ok for pickup, I'm in a 10 teamer. I think if he gets 25+ minutes, he could be worth the flier