Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cohenstantinople

When to really draft a QB? WHIR

I've done 2 drafts so far, both 12 teamers. I've landed Ben in the 6th in both, and made sure to grab a decent backup later. 

I think Roethlisberger will be among the top QBs for PPG. 

6 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

I've done 2 drafts so far, both 12 teamers. I've landed Ben in the 6th in both, and made sure to grab a decent backup later. 

I think Roethlisberger will be among the top QBs for PPG. 

Was it his 9th-place finish in PPG among QBs, his mounting injuries, the fact that he had 2 or fewer TDs in 7 of the 12 games he did play, the retirement of his security-blanket TE, or the year-long suspension of the team's best deep threat that led you to this conclusion?

4 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

Was it his 9th-place finish in PPR among QBs, his mounting injuries, the fact that he had 2 or fewer TDs in 7 of the 12 games he did play, the retirement of his security-blanket TE, or the year-long suspension of the team's best deep threat that led you to this conclusion?

Well..

1. I've got Ben ranked 7th last year in PPG from my league history. One guy ahead of hi is Geno on the strength of playing one game and hitting 23.5 points. So that basically means Ben finished 6th.

2. Antonio Brown. Word is that he's pretty good

3. Heath Miller was reliable, but he isn't half the athlete that Green is. 

4. Martavis Bryant missed 5 games last year. Ben played in 3 of those games. He threw for 912 yards and 4 TDs without him. Averaged 22+ points per game in that stretch. 

9 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Well..

1. I've got Ben ranked 7th last year in PPG from my league history. One guy ahead of hi is Geno on the strength of playing one game and hitting 23.5 points. So that basically means Ben finished 6th.

2. Antonio Brown. Word is that he's pretty good

3. Heath Miller was reliable, but he isn't half the athlete that Green is. 

4. Martavis Bryant missed 5 games last year. Ben played in 3 of those games. He threw for 912 yards and 4 TDs without him. Averaged 22+ points per game in that stretch. 

Not sure how Ben got to 7th in PPG (I meant PPG in the original post, not PPR).  FantasyPros has it such:

Newton 24.3

Brady 21.5

Wilson 21.0

Brees 20.4

Smith 20.0

Bortles 19.8

Palmer 19.3

Taylor 19.3

Roethlisberger 19.0

Ben did throw 16 INTs to his 21 TDs though; maybe your league isn't as hard on INTs.  I think FantasyPros probly scores them at -2, so if your league is -1, that could be the difference.

Anyway, I can't give you Geno Smith, 'cause he'll be playing in 2016 too, so Ben doesn't get to pass him up by absence.

9th isn't "among the top" anything, unless your league is 18 teams or more--and that's if NONE of the other factors I mention work to Ben's detriment.

16 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

Not sure how Ben got to 7th in PPG (I meant PPG in the original post, not PPR).  FantasyPros has it such:

Newton 24.3

Brady 21.5

Wilson 21.0

Brees 20.4

Smith 20.0

Bortles 19.8

Palmer 19.3

Taylor 19.3

Roethlisberger 19.0

Ben did throw 16 INTs to his 21 TDs though; maybe your league isn't as hard on INTs.  I think FantasyPros probly scores them at -2, so if your league is -1, that could be the difference.

Anyway, I can't give you Geno Smith, 'cause he'll be playing in 2016 too, so Ben doesn't get to pass him up by absence.

9th isn't "among the top" anything, unless your league is 18 teams or more--and that's if NONE of the other factors I mention work to Ben's detriment.

So you're telling me that since Geno played one game last year, that you think his PPG will be better than Bens? Come on man.

Ill gladly place a wager that Ben finishes among 9th in PPG scoring among QBs if you'd like. I'll also give you 2-1 on a bet that Geno has a better PPG this year than Ben

2 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

So you're telling me that since Geno played one game last year, that you think his PPG will be better than Bens? Come on man.

Ill gladly place a wager that Ben finishes among 9th in PPG scoring among QBs if you'd like. I'll also give you 2-1 on a bet that Geno has a better PPG this year than Ben

Seriously?  What does "Ben finishes among 9th in PPG scoring among QBs" even mean?

And you want to bet that Geno has a better PPG this year than Ben, after just assuring me that he wouldn't?

None of this makes any sense.

2 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

Seriously?  What does "Ben finishes among 9th in PPG scoring among QBs" even mean?

And you want to bet that Geno has a better PPG this year than Ben, after just assuring me that he wouldn't?

None of this makes any sense.

Are you playing dumb now?  I'm giving you 2-1 to take Geno.  A bet only an idiot would make.

Also, how do you not understand the terms.  If Ben finishes outside the top 9 in PPG among QBs, you win and are correct.  This isn't rocket science.  If you want to back track and not take that bet, then just say so

Just now, Experienced Rookie said:

Are you playing dumb now?  I'm giving you 2-1 to take Geno.  A bet only an idiot would make.

Also, how do you not understand the terms.  If Ben finishes outside the top 9 in PPG among QBs, you win and are correct.  This isn't rocket science.  If you want to back track and not take that bet, then just say so

Backtrack?  lol  I never MADE a bet.  I said Geno finished ahead of Ben in PPG last season, and he did.  I'm not backing off of that.

You proposed a bet, or two, axually--although neither one of the statements you made even made sense, let alone being the bet you axually WANTED to make--and I will decline both of them as you have restated them.  However, I WILL take your money in a Draft Masters league if you care to step into my arena.

1 minute ago, vikingapocalypse said:

Always looking for home turf eh axe -_-

Not looking to artificially increase the number of my managed leagues just to swat a fly.

26 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

Backtrack?  lol  I never MADE a bet.  I said Geno finished ahead of Ben in PPG last season, and he did.  I'm not backing off of that.

You proposed a bet, or two, axually--although neither one of the statements you made even made sense, let alone being the bet you axually WANTED to make--and I will decline both of them as you have restated them.  However, I WILL take your money in a Draft Masters league if you care to step into my arena.

To downgrade Ben for PPG rankings because he finished one spot lower due to a bad QB playing one game last year and scoring well is incredibly dumb. 

That being said, I haven't changed any proposed bet. You don't like Ben, I do. I'm happy to take any reasonable action on his PPG ranking among QBs. Also, if you want to act like Geno should be ranked ahead of Ben on where they'll end 2017 by the same PPG system, then I'm happy to give you 2-1 on it. That's all. If not, then you probably shouldn't use Genos 1 game in 2016 effect your arguments against Ben.

As far as Draftmasters goes, I'll gladly step into your arena. I'll complete a few drafts on there to get the feel of it and gladly accept the challenge. In turn, I'd only ask that you step into the daily arena with me for the occassion H2H matchup this year. Only hitch: you can't pass the buck if you lose. Can't spend paragraphs upon paragraphs explaining how the only reason you went down was because of this reason or that reason. You have to lose like a man and own it. 

7 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

To downgrade Ben for PPG rankings because he finished one spot lower due to a bad QB playing one game last year and scoring well is incredibly dumb. 

That being said, I haven't changed any proposed bet. You don't like Ben, I do. I'm happy to take any reasonable action on his PPG ranking among QBs. Also, if you want to act like Geno should be ranked ahead of Ben on where they'll end 2017 by the same PPG system, then I'm happy to give you 2-1 on it. That's all. If not, then you probably shouldn't use Genos 1 game in 2016 effect your arguments against Ben.

As far as Draftmasters goes, I'll gladly step into your arena. I'll complete a few drafts on there to get the feel of it and gladly accept the challenge. In turn, I'd only ask that you step into the daily arena with me for the occassion H2H matchup this year. Only hitch: you can't pass the buck if you lose. Can't spend paragraphs upon paragraphs explaining how the only reason you went down was because of this reason or that reason. You have to lose like a man and own it. 

Well if I lose--or if I win--there's obviously going to be a REASON for it.  But yeah, I play DFS too, but not H2H.  I make my money in the 50/50s.

Watch the "Community Draft Masters 2016" thread in this forum.  We're usually doing a couple of Draft Masters a week.  Hop in when you feel prepared.

I'm always the last person to draft a qb. 

And I'm better at fantasy football than all of you.

So I'd go that route.

17 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

Well if I lose--or if I win--there's obviously going to be a REASON for it.  But yeah, I play DFS too, but not H2H.  I make my money in the 50/50s.

Watch the "Community Draft Masters 2016" thread in this forum.  We're usually doing a couple of Draft Masters a week.  Hop in when you feel prepared.

Cool.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

As far as "owning it" goes, my gut says that when you win it's "I win because I'm better" and if you lose it's "If so and so hadn't gotten hurt" or "you got lucky with so and so" type crap. 

On 7/16/2016 at 2:57 PM, cohenstantinople said:

Good point about the devaluation of rushing QBs, Jigsaw. I didn't factor that in. But Geno putting up 20 points means little if Wilson and Ben are earning 45-50. In many cases, top QBs are doubling totals of solid WRs/RBs. This is the only league I play in with this scoring, and it's a challenge to balance.

i mean don't get me wrong.  I used Geno as an example to show that even if you're in dire straits, you wont' get shutout at the position.    Obviously he wouldn't be a target of mine.     I'm just looking at it like a top 5 QB and the QBs from 6-15 isn't as large of a gap.   I already tend to draft QBs late, but in a setup with 6 points per passing TD, it would make me wait even longer.  But that's me.  

3 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

my gut says that when you win it's "I win because I'm better" and if you lose it's "If so and so hadn't gotten hurt" 

Well, that IS the reason 99.9999% of the time...

8 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

Well, that IS the reason 99.9999% of the time...

Yeah..that's how a b*tch handles winning and losing. All Im asking is that you win with respect or lose like a man. 

4 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Yeah..that's how a b*tch handles winning and losing. All Im asking is that you win with respect or lose like a man. 

What, you don't think there are reasons why a person wins or loses--that it all just happens by completely random chance?  Use your brain.

15 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

What, you don't think there are reasons why a person wins or loses--that it all just happens by completely random chance?  Use your brain.

That's not what I'm saying.  You cant put words into my mouth so that you can argue against them.  I'm well aware that everything happens for a reason.  All I'm asking is for a little balance.  If it's "I won because I'm the best and a genius" or whatever the F you spew about, then when you lose it's not because of a bunch of sad sack excuses like a little b*tch.  Take it on the chin like a man, not a child. 

1 minute ago, Experienced Rookie said:

That's not what I'm saying.  You cant put words into my mouth so that you can argue against them.  I'm well aware that everything happens for a reason.  All I'm asking is for a little balance.  If it's "I won because I'm the best and a genius" or whatever the F you spew about, then when you lose it's not because of a bunch of sad sack excuses like a little b*tch.  Take it on the chin like a man, not a child. 

It's axually probly more interconnected than that.  When I win, it's because I drafted the best players at the best prices to put together the best team.  If that's the definition of a genius who's the best, then so be it.  When I lose--and of course, that happens so rarely as to almost be negligible--but in that blue moon event, it's because the best players at the best prices were underutilized by their incompetent coaches, or they got hurt and couldn't put up the kind of stats that the best players put up, and so on.  Those are some of the REASONS that the best team (mine) might not actually perform as well as some of the others.  No excuses necessary.

1 hour ago, Axe Elf said:

It's axually probly more interconnected than that.  When I win, it's because I drafted the best players at the best prices to put together the best team.  If that's the definition of a genius who's the best, then so be it.  When I lose--and of course, that happens so rarely as to almost be negligible--but in that blue moon event, it's because the best players at the best prices were underutilized by their incompetent coaches, or they got hurt and couldn't put up the kind of stats that the best players put up, and so on.  Those are some of the REASONS that the best team (mine) might not actually perform as well as some of the others.  No excuses necessary.

Which would mean that Axe Elf was incompetent at predicting usage - which is half of picking the "best players"

1 hour ago, Axe Elf said:

Yeah...I can't stand this childish crap. I don't play with cry babies who make excuses. 

I want to beat you and for you to be humbled...not b*tch and moan like a girl about how the O coordinator didn't use your RB in the passing game enough. 

9 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

Which would mean that Axe Elf was incompetent at predicting usage - which is half of picking the "best players"

More often it means that Axe Elf was perfect at predicting usage, but the Offensive Coordinator was not as adept at implementing it.

9 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

I want to beat you and for you to be humbled...

Yeah, well, a lot of people have wanted that over the last 20+ years.

Doesn't mean you can't reach for the stars yourself, though!

11 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

Yeah, well, a lot of people have wanted that over the last 20+ years.

Doesn't mean you can't reach for the stars yourself, though!

20 years of people waiting to see you lose like a man. Doesn't surprise me.