Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ponza88

How many leagues are you in? How many is too many?

30 minutes ago, mrblonde1984 said:

I have 43 managed leagues as of right now and won't be doing many more aside from the Fantasy Football Championship on RT Sports and my hometown league. So I should be at about 45, 50 max. Also have 15 of the best ball format Draftmaster leagues.

To the point about rooting against yourself, I've never had that problem. I have a certain group of players I draft, and there are players I don't draft. 

With smartphones and tablets and the technology literally at your fingertips, it's quite easy to do a lot of leagues these days. I consider Fantasy Sports a hobby - it just so happens to be one that makes money. 

43 managed leagues. Wow, that is more "work" than I'm interested lol.  I think after a certain number it would start to feel like work to me.  3 managed leagues and a few best balls is enough for me. I also do other fantasy sports throughout the year so that keeps me busy when football isn't going.

3 hours ago, Big Nate said:

43 managed leagues. Wow, that is more "work" than I'm interested lol.  I think after a certain number it would start to feel like work to me.  3 managed leagues and a few best balls is enough for me. I also do other fantasy sports throughout the year so that keeps me busy when football isn't going.

Plenty of leeway there. I mean it's not 48, where you get 30 minutes/day with each league and simply do not sleep for 15 weeks. 

10 hours ago, Big Nate said:

I'm willing to bet that a lot of mrblonde's "managed" leagues are on RTSports, where most of their leagues don't allow trading.  That cuts down a big part of the time investment, when you don't have to go looking at all the team rosters and seeing who could use what from your team, and who you could use from their team.  That's why I don't usually go more than 25 managed (with trading), because any more than that and I can't really give them the attention they deserve.  Still, even without trading, 45 rounds of waivers and lineups each week would be pretty oppressive.

I'm usually in about 6 to 10 managed leagues.  Three of them are ones I have money involved in.  One is a friendly one that I'm the commish of.  The rest are all one's I just do for practice drafting and screwing around with.

When it's earlier in the year it's hard to get a mock auction draft where everyone sticks around past their first three picks.  To solve this I just do a real draft where people take it a little more serious and stay the whole time.  It makes for great practice and I still manage the team during the season but don't focus as much on them.

On 7/18/2016 at 4:08 PM, Big Nate said:

It doesn't take nearly as long as people think. I definitely don't spend 30 minutes on each team for waivers. It's probably more like 5-7, tops. Like, oh, this team needs this. Let's see what's available. A lot of times you're just trying to add the same group of players anyway.

Last year I did 15 baseball teams on RT Sports and did quite well, so this year I upped my total to 20. That keeps me busy after the Super Bowl. 

17 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

I'm willing to bet that a lot of mrblonde's "managed" leagues are on RTSports, where most of their leagues don't allow trading.  That cuts down a big part of the time investment, when you don't have to go looking at all the team rosters and seeing who could use what from your team, and who you could use from their team.  That's why I don't usually go more than 25 managed (with trading), because any more than that and I can't really give them the attention they deserve.  Still, even without trading, 45 rounds of waivers and lineups each week would be pretty oppressive.

Correct.

usually do 3 big $ leagues and about 10-15 custom league with idp scoring about even with offense, 2-3qb, weird scoring 1pt pass comp, 2pt ppr, 1pt rush attemp ect... those leagues are fun if you have managers that know what they are doing

i wanted to get people thoughts on how many shares of each player do you get? i usually have very similar teams but am wondering if it would be better to mix it up incase of injury? but i like being able to watch my players which is easier when i have very similar teams

2 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

usually do 3 big $ leagues and about 10-15 custom league with idp scoring about even with offense, 2-3qb, weird scoring 1pt pass comp, 2pt ppr, 1pt rush attemp ect... those leagues are fun if you have managers that know what they are doing

i wanted to get people thoughts on how many shares of each player do you get? i usually have very similar teams but am wondering if it would be better to mix it up incase of injury? but i like being able to watch my players which is easier when i have very similar teams

i do like variance and i take a few shots on players i may not like but recognize i could be wrong on. the solution about rooting for guys is easy for me. i focus on my family leagues and root for them predominately while watching the games to talk spit with the fam and then monday night is where i really focus on what needs to happen in my various leagues. i usually don't worry too much what player hurts or helps more on sundays. i usually make the playoffs at a 60-70% rate (some years will be better or worse) on average so it all works out in the end

2 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

i wanted to get people thoughts on how many shares of each player do you get? i usually have very similar teams but am wondering if it would be better to mix it up incase of injury?

The best investment strategy is a highly UNdiversified portfolio, when you are right.

1 hour ago, Axe Elf said:

The best investment strategy is a highly UNdiversified portfolio, when you are right.

there is a difference between being right about a player and injuries 

23 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

there is a difference between being right about a player and injuries 

You could be right about their injury potential...

A lot of surprises in this thread. Like dmb, I thought you would be in more than just 2!

As of right now, ugh, I have 16 leagues. I think I should stop. LOL

I do 3 to 4 a year.  I find the cross over a bit much as is,  if I had 20 some leagues I'd basically hate and love every important player In fantasy,  just not my bag 

29 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

I do 3 to 4 a year.  I find the cross over a bit much as is,  if I had 20 some leagues I'd basically hate and love every important player In fantasy,  just not my bag 

Then draft the same players in all your leagues--which maximizes your win percentage as well.

If you draft anybody and everybody, then you can't win more than a few leagues, and you end up rooting for and against everyone at the same time.

If you do a lot of snake drafts, you might not have a lot of choice, at least in the first few rounds, but that's why I do mostly auctions--so I can draft from basically the same pool of players in most of my drafts.

6 hours ago, ponza88 said:

A lot of surprises in this thread. Like dmb, I thought you would be in more than just 2!

I was in 3 up until this year but 1 folded. 3 is a good number for me. I'll probably join a Yahoo Pro league or something to get 1 more.

Anymore and I start to lose interest in individual teams.

6 hours ago, ponza88 said:

You need to look into Draft Masters leagues.  All the highs of drafting without the hangover of waivers, trades and lineups.

It's like birth control for fantasy football.

Ideally I would like to just do two leagues I really care about. I've gone as high as four, which is too much for me. I'll end up not caring about one league and never enjoying fantasy football because you're always playing against some player in one league that you're starting in another league.

3 hours ago, mister_deez said:

Ideally I would like to just do two leagues I really care about. I've gone as high as four, which is too much for me. I'll end up not caring about one league and never enjoying fantasy football because you're always playing against some player in one league that you're starting in another league.

Draft the same players in all your leagues and you won't have that problem--and if you draft the right players, you'll win all your leagues instead of just one!

On 8/4/2016 at 7:21 AM, dmb3684 said:

I was in 3 up until this year but 1 folded. 3 is a good number for me. I'll probably join a Yahoo Pro league or something to get 1 more.

Anymore and I start to lose interest in individual teams.

Yea I'm same boat.  4 is my tops.  There comes a point where I just think it loses something,  least for me,  when I have guys every where.  For me less is more 

I could live with only having to do waivers and lineups for four leagues.

But drafting a fantasy football team is like one of my all time most favoritest things to do ever--and after a handful of mocks, they're just not satisfying any more.  I'd rather make those in-draft choices with some kind of accountability afterwards--just not six hours of waivers on Tuesdays.

Enter the Draft Masters...

I do two leagues.  I will also play a little DFS.  I haven't looked into the Draft Masters leagues, but that sounds like it could be fun.  As others have mentioned, I really don't like rooting for everybody and against everybody...it really spoils the fun for me.  I end up with some of the same guys on my teams, but not usually too many (particularly my first few rounds) with snake drafts.

25 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

How do draft master leagues work 

You draft, and then you don't have to do anything else--no trades, no waivers, no lineups.  The software automatically sets your best possible lineup after the scores are in, and the most total points scored on the season (usually the first 16 weeks) wins.

The standard DM has 20 roster slots and 9 starters--1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 Flex, 1 TE, 1 K (or Team K), 1 D/ST--although there are variations with deeper rosters (up to 24) and 2 Flex starters, if you prefer.  The MFL10 variety does not use Kickers at all.  You can draft any combination of players you like--you are not REQUIRED to have any Ks, for instance--but you'll take a zero at the position each week if you don't.  It's up to you to draft to cover byes and potential injuries--because you can't make ANY moves after the draft; hence "DRAFT Masters."

So let's say you draft 3 QBs, Rodgers, Stafford and Tannehill, and in Week 1, Rodgers scores 18.85 fantasy points, Stafford scores 11.25 fantasy points, and Tannehill scores 23.90 fantasy points--you get Tannehill's 23.90 at the QB position for that week.  Same goes for the other positions--each week you get the points from your best 2 RBs, your best 2 WRs, your best TE, the best remaining RB/WR/TE, and so on.

It's basically like a mock draft--except you axually get to see who wins--who had the best draft based on the points the players axually go on to earn.  It's all the highs of drafting without the hangover of waivers and lineups.  It's methadone for draft addicts.  It's birth control for fantasy football.

@WEIL3R @Savatage79

Axe and I do one of these every few weeks together it seems.   Happy to invite u and provide some tips till ya get acclimated. 

Great fun, and a completely different way of thinking about building a team.  you can't overpay for studs and count on roster moves to shore up the deficiencies.  The best teams are solid from top to bottom.