Gorgeous George

Ben Simmons 2016-2017 season outlook

6 hours ago, Spyplane said:

No, because they just used a #1 overall on Ben Simmons and have committed to him being their PG. Simmons will need shooters on the floor with him.

I hope you're right, since I've had him stashed!

That said, I'd still be skeptical of his ROS value, since - assuming he returns immediately after the ASB and subsequently rests one game of remaining back-to-back sets - he'll only play 17 more games of the remaining 21 in a standard fantasy season. But, this is just the best-case scenario.

Consider the 76ers' handling of Embiid: Embiid is great now, but he only played 16 of his first 25 games (64%). If Simmons misses games at the same rate - which may be likely, coming off of a Jones fracture - he'll end up playing only 13 of the remaining 21 games. It'd be challenging for most owners to rely on him through fantasy playoffs.

I'm rooting for him but am presently skeptical of his ROS value.

Edited by hoop

10 hours ago, Spyplane said:

No, because they just used a #1 overall on Ben Simmons and have committed to him being their PG. Simmons will need shooters on the floor with him.

then why are the targeting holiday if he is going to pay PG? they didn't say he will 100% play PG..

17 hours ago, hoop said:

I hope you're right, since I've had him stashed!

That said, I'd still be skeptical of his ROS value, since - assuming he returns immediately after the ASB and subsequently rests one game of remaining back-to-back sets - he'll only play 17 more games of the remaining 21 in a standard fantasy season. But, this is just the best-case scenario.

Consider the 76ers' handling of Embiid: Embiid is great now, but he only played 16 of his first 25 games (64%). If Simmons misses games at the same rate - which may be likely, coming off of a Jones fracture - he'll end up playing only 13 of the remaining 21 games. It'd be challenging for most owners to rely on him through fantasy playoffs.

I'm rooting for him but am presently skeptical of his ROS value.

Hey, there's a risk element to this all. A big one if you're fighting for a spot in the playoffs. I hope I'm right as well.

Here's what is boils down to for me:

If you have an IR spot, hold him until after the All Star Break to see how soon he will return. If you have an IR spot, and are in Dynasty, hold him til next season.

If you do not have an IR spot, and are in a comfortable playoff spot, hold him until after All Star Break. If you do not have an IR spot and are trying to climb into the playoffs, try to trade him for someone that will give you immediate value.

He might play or he might not, but what you do with him really depends on your type of league and standings.

I can't really see Simmons providing decent returns this year.

Minutes restriction + sitting back to back games + not having played professional basketball yet all adds up in my mind to a player who won't have a chance to hit a groove and become valuable in fantasy.  

Look at Tyreke Evans his year. Also coming off a serious injury and playing 10-20 minutes per night and he's been a bit of a headache to own so far. Tyreke has the advantage of familiar teammates and years of experience at the professional level. Given the circumstances I have a hard time seeing how Simmons could be more valuable than someone like Evans this year, so I won't be trying to roster him. 

That said, and as others have mentioned, being in a keeper league changes things significantly.

You might want to try shopping him. I just moved him in a keeper league for Mike Conley. Wow.

1 hour ago, Spyplane said:

You might want to try shopping him. I just moved him in a keeper league for Mike Conley. Wow.

Easy to shop him in keeper leagues if youre being hyped as the "next Lebron". Redraft, Im better off hanging on to him.

11 hours ago, Spyplane said:

I say it's 50/50 to win or lose this trade next year and you definitely lost it for the year after etc. I'd only do that for win now mode and only if this move made me the big favorite.

5 hours ago, RipCity0 said:

I say it's 50/50 to win or lose this trade next year and you definitely lost it for the year after etc. I'd only do that for win now mode and only if this move made me the big favorite.

I can't get into my roster here because it's kind of frowned on but let's just say I'm positioning myself to win this year and I'm pretty much set for the future as is. My trade may get vetoed because someone has already protested...

I'm just pointing out that with the news stories on his progress coming out, if we're talking keeper, and not dynasty, and if in that keeper league you have restrictions which makes it extremely costly to keep any more than three or four guys then it might make sense to shop him hard right now depending on your particular situation. As in shopping him to teams who are pretty much out of it already. Clearly at the end of February he'll be worth more then but you'll have lost out on a full month of games and there are risks in holding if something changes with him.

On 2/7/2017 at 9:55 PM, jbourne said:

AND HERE WE GO!!!!!! 2 MORE WEEKS!!!!! #TRUSTTHEPROCESS

Edited by chopper

5 hours ago, chopper said:

AND HERE WE GO!!!!!! 2 MORE WEEKS!!!!! #TRUSTTHEPROCESS

lol "anonymous redditor" could by my grandma for all we know.  don't wet yourself over this.  Besides, he'll have a huge minute restriction.  He's not contributing this season guys. 

13 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

lol "anonymous redditor" could by my grandma for all we know.  don't wet yourself over this.  Besides, he'll have a huge minute restriction.  He's not contributing this season guys. 

I also don't get it. He's only relevant for dynasty and keeper leagues as someone else pointed out. 

40 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

Im a hinkie homer doe. So I have reason to be excited just by watching simmons play even if hes not fantasy relevant this season. #trusttheprocess

On 1/26/2017 at 6:31 PM, boytoy said:

Easy to shop him in keeper leagues if youre being hyped as the "next Lebron". Redraft, Im better off hanging on to him.

Who the f--- is calling Ben Simmons the next LeBron?

Well for starters, NBAdraft.net compared him to LeBron in the lead up to the draft. 

Edited by Spyplane

Brian Seltzer ‏@brianseltzer  9m9 minutes ago
Spent a portion of yesterday meeting with both Embiid, Simmons. Still no set date for Simmons.

9 hours ago, steve9347 said:

Who the f--- is calling Ben Simmons the next LeBron?

A lot of people, unsurprisingly. You can google, my fried. Im tempering expections though, hence the quotation marks. He does have the tools and skill set to be a generational talent, but its way too early to tell.

Looking like a lost season though. Will probably drop if i need to place someone on my IL spot.

Brett Brown on BenSimmons25: "We do expect him to play this year." Will have better sense of when after the All-Star Break

Ridiculous, not that i missed on anyone because he was on my ir spot, but i hoped he could give me a big boost down the stretch. 

I don't want to raise anyone's blood pressure. You can put your own grains of salt on this one