NYR Fan 116894

Eli Rogers 2016 Season Outlook

This is what a sleeper looks like. Grabbed him in the last round. If Ladarius Green misses the first 6-8 weeks and Bell is suspended until October, Eli is going to be gold. Might start him week one in my flex. 

Excited to see him play tomorrow night with real QB. It would be wise to grab him before that game if he's available. 

i think Eli will be huge as a slot player.  He caught 2 of his 4 targets in the first quarter.  I'm on the train!

1 hour ago, HTXMade said:

i think Eli will be huge as a slot player.  He caught 2 of his 4 targets in the first quarter.  I'm on the train!

same here. dont like slot receiver in standard but coates failed

If Rogers actually works out, has anyone done some number crunching for what kind of production one might expect from him? 

If Big Ben stays healthy, he is going to throw for around 600 pass attempts. Assuming Brown gets his 200 or so, that would leave 400 for the rest of the receivers. 80-100 for the RBs, 70-90 for the TEs and that would leave around 210-250 targets for the other WRs to split. Does that sound about right? 

8 hours ago, burninglegs said:

If Rogers actually works out, has anyone done some number crunching for what kind of production one might expect from him? 

If Big Ben stays healthy, he is going to throw for around 600 pass attempts. Assuming Brown gets his 200 or so, that would leave 400 for the rest of the receivers. 80-100 for the RBs, 70-90 for the TEs and that would leave around 210-250 targets for the other WRs to split. Does that sound about right? 

IMO

AB = 200-220

DWill/Bell = 110

TE = 80

Starting outside WR #2 = 100

That leaves about 100 targets left over for the slot/backups.

3 hours ago, joshua18 said:

IMO

AB = 200-220

DWill/Bell = 110

TE = 80

Starting outside WR #2 = 100

That leaves about 100 targets left over for the slot/backups.

This is assuming that Big Ben and Mike Tomlin think that Wheaton/DHB are better than Rogers, right? If they are high on Rogers then a bigger role could be carved out for him in the slot than the #2 outside WR. 

What's interesting about Rogers and, to a lesser extent, The Bandit, is how readily Big Ben went to the short throw offense last week. Given Coates and Wheaton's problems on the outside the scheme may be morphing away from the verticality I expected. If so Rogers value ticks up even more in PPR formats...and maybe Coates can aim for the occasional Ted Ginn type role? "Go deep, young man!"

It seems like Rogers is a good "cuff" for anyone that owns Coates, or vice versa.  Not that Coates had a high draft price, but the original argument on Coates was that Wheaton has had the opportunity to be a #2 before, and didn't do anything with it, so if he truly isn't that good, then the #3/slot WR could be the beneficiary.  

It's looking more and more like Rogers will be that guy, but they are both very cheap (possibly both FA's), and if you own both then one of them will hopefully emerge as a good fantasy player.  That's a very low investment cost for someone that could put up WR3 numbers right out of the gate in that offense.

If he starts in the slot, his PPR numbers will be very similar to Sterling Sheperd's. You can get him in the last rounds. Cheap way to get a piece of the Steelers offense. 

Edited by affliction

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/19981/meet-eli-the-illusionist-rogers-ben-roethlisbergers-new-weapon-in-the-slot

Good article from Jeremy Fowler: 

Every year, the NFL is littered with preseason success stories that don't translate to the regular season.

At least two instances indicate Eli Rogers will be different.

In the Pittsburgh Steelers' joint practice against the Detroit Lions, Ben Roethlisbergerthrew to Rogers on his first two attempts of the day in 11-man work.

In Friday's win at New Orleans, Roethlisberger threw to Rogers on four of his first 14 attempts, resulting in two catches for 17 yards.

The Steelers have been hungry for a true slot receiver to pair with Antonio Brown, and they might just have it in Rogers, Teddy Bridgewater's close friend from Miami Northwestern High who went undrafted out of Louisville and missed all of last season with a foot injury.

Talk about a fast study. Roethlisberger said he jokes with Rogers about how annoying he is because of "how much he's in my ear asking questions."

"The more he can work the middle, the more safeties will have to respect him and stop cheating on AB," Roethlisberger said.

Now that Rogers is poised to be a factor in the offense, it's a good time to learn more about him...

The art of deception: Rogers likes to use precise route-running and quickness to his advantage. More pointedly, he likes "losing people" with his counter-moves on routes, he said.

The Steelers offense offers him plenty of opportunities to do just that.

"I feel like I'm a great illusionist if you will. I'm deceptive in my route running and I love that," he said. "It's all about angles and what the defense is looking at. If I get past a guy and I stick him and go to the post and I tuck my chin like I'm going tot the post, he's going to take off because that's what he's seeing, he's seeing emotions, and he really believes I'm going that way. I just like that because it's fun to me."

Rogers played running back in high school, which he believes helps him see all angles of the field while making a play.

Long road to success: An evaluation of Rogers' game begs the question -- how does an NFL wide receiver fail to record more than 536 yards in a collegiate season?

James Bush, Rogers' mentor and trainer out of the Miami area, understands the complexities of that answer. Without detailing too much, Bush said Rogers endured a difficult life in the Liberty City area of Miami, where teenagers are tempted with "fights, drugs, you name it."

Rogers fought through those temptations to become a high-profile recruit and Louisville signee. But without a father figure to mold him, Bush said, Rogers struggled to adjust to the basic responsibilities of college football, such as punctuality.

By the time he figured it all out, the Cardinals were switching from coach Charlie Strong to Bobby Petrino.

"Going undrafted humbled him," Bush said. "But he always felt he was this five years ago, it just didn't manifest until today. And he always had people in his life who would fight for him."

Perhaps Rogers needed time to convince others of what he already knew.

"I knew who I was and I know who I am," Rogers said. "I always felt I was one of the best in the world. Coming to this level, whatever is in you is going to push out."

Never forget: Before Bridgewater suffered a gruesome injury at Minnesota Vikingspractice Tuesday, Rogers spoke fondly of his close friend.

The two played high school and college ball together, and recently Bridgewater sent Rogers a text picture of the two in ninth grade with the message, 'Never forget.'

Rogers wrote back: "You know I'm never going to forget. We came from nothing."

Bridgewater's response: "No doubt."

Rogers didn't have the picture available to him while talking this week, but he values Bridgewater's words more than visuals.

"He tells me to keep focused," Rogers said.

The culmination: Rogers was emerging last training camp before suffering the foot injury, a byproduct of a nagging issue in college.

Rogers has seized his chance this training camp, locking down two primary jobs as of now -- slot receiver, punt returner.

And he has coach Mike Tomlin's attention.

"He really has an understanding of playing in that interior space and he's consistently put that on display," Tomlin said.

Eli is 5'10'', so we're looking at him moving the chains Heath Miller style, with more yac. But you've got to think when they get inside the 15, Jesse James is the focal point (the dude is a massive human being). So Eli is probably gonna have a hard time with TDs. And we also saw last year in Arizona how elite pass catching backs can screw the slot receiver. Fitz was crushing until M.Floyd and D.Johnson started moving well, then he pretty much disappeared. There's a redundancy between Leveon/DJ and Eli/Fitz that will hurt his consistency. 

That being said, Todd Hailey is very creative in getting his guys in space with bubble screens and end-arounds. Eli could get 6-8 touches pretty commonly, but I think his ceiling is pretty low because of the above concerns. 

Kids gonna be a steal. I think he puts up some nice numbers. He's looked great so far and everything I'm reading makes me think he'll be a big time player this year.

Steelers Film Room: Eli Rogers preparing for a big part in the 2016 offense

When the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted Demarcus Ayers in the 7th round of the 2016 NFL Draft, special teams coach Danny Smith spoke with media about the selection. What was truly interesting about the situation was when a reporter asked about Eli Rogers being able to fill in as a punt returner. Smith's response?

"Who? Does he play for the Steelers?"

Although probably joking, let's just say he, and Steelers fans everywhere, knows who Rogers is as the team prepares for their final preseason game against the Carolina Panthers on Thursday.

Rogers has been the training camp darling for fans of the black and gold for a few weeks now, but he has taken the  next step, and played extremely well on the football field in preseason action. This is just the preseason, so you take results with a grain of salt; however, what truly matters is the trust he has developed with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger doesn't just throw passes to anyone, ask Dri Archer streaking down the sideline, and this was on display Friday night as he took the field with the starters, and looked like he belonged.

Make the tough play

Eli_Rogers_First_Down__Great_Effort_.0.g

Rogers is a slot receiver. Period. There aren't many like him in the NFL anymore. These are guys who specialize in dominating the interior of a defense, willing to take a hit and make the tough plays over the middle of the field. In the above play, you see just what it takes to gain Roethlisberger's trust, and the rest of the team's.

Notice the formation, 3WR set with twins to the left out of the shotgun. As stated above, Rogers is in the slot. This is a 3rd and 10 play, and Rogers, only in his second year and first actual season, is crafty enough to not only run a crisp 10-yard route, but when coming back to the football realizing he is short of the sticks and fights for the tough yardage while taking a hit.

If he doesn't give the extra effort, the Steelers could be faced with a 4th and short, instead, they received a new set of downs.

Ah, there lies the rub

Rogers_Quick_Slant__Gain_of_7_.0.gif

Here you see Rogers as the motion man in the same formation as the previous play. This was on the team's second drive of the game and a 1st and 10 situation. Roethlisberger uses Rogers to diagnose a man or zone defensive scheme. With the defensive back following Rogers, it signals man-to-man defense, and Roethlisberger immediately knows the play designed is going to work.

Off the snap Xavier Grimble and Rogers run a beautiful rub route off the line of scrimmage. A rub route is when one receiver runs his man vertical, pushing the defender with him, and his adjoining receiver rubs right underneath his route. It is the modern day pick play, but legal if done correctly,

Grimble could have been called for offensive pass interference, as he made contact well before the catch was made, but it went unnoticed and Rogers had a clean alley to catch and run.

People always compare Rogers to Antonio Brown, and that is simply unfair, but what Brown would most likely have done in this situation is catch the pass and quickly try to stiff arm the defender to gain extra yardage. Brown has become a master at the stiff arm, and this eluding the solo tackle is certainly an aspect of Roger's game which could improve.

Still room for improvement

Rogers_Incomplete_on_TD.0.gif

Throughout the first two series with the starting offense on the field, they relied heavily on the no-huddle offense, and when they did so this was their go-to offensive package. Again, shotgun formation, 3WR set with Rogers in the slot, typically on the heavy side (where the tight end lines up outside the tackle).

This was great defense by the Saints, but Rogers could have gotten himself in a better situation to catch this pass. Watch - while coming off the line Rogers, throws a head-and-shoulders fake to try to get the defensive back to bite on the inside post route. However, it wasn't very convincing. If he really sells that fake, Roethlisberger would have a much larger window to fit the football into, which could have become 6-points.

This isn't the first time I've noticed this throughout the preseason, and Rogers' execution will likely improve as the preseason ends and the regular season begins.

Conclusion

What might have been the most interesting aspect of Rogers' game was how he was out there with the starting no-huddle offense. It wasn't Sammie Coates, or even Darrius Heyward-Bey. This tells me those fans who are screaming about how it is just the preseason might want to think twice as No. 17 might be a mainstay in certain packages and situations in the Steelers offense.

Should you go run to the NFL shop and buy yourself an Eli Rogers jersey? You could, but you might want to take a wait-and-see approach to that before shelling out that much money. However, it looks as if Rogers is going to be a big part of this offense in 2016, and he has the look of someone who is ready and willing to embrace such a role.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-film-room/2016/9/1/12671340/steelers-film-room-eli-rogers-preparing-for-a-big-part-in-the-2016

I'm trying to like Rogers but with a pool full of potential sleepers how do you confidently add him? There's Rogers, Sharpe, Hogan, Funchess, Dorsett, Tyrell Williams and others. Can't roster them all.

2 hours ago, ss3walkman said:

I'm trying to like Rogers but with a pool full of potential sleepers how do you confidently add him? There's Rogers, Sharpe, Hogan, Funchess, Dorsett, Tyrell Williams and others. Can't roster them all.

Rogers is available on virtually every waiver wire...most of those guys were drafted in leagues I've been in, save for Williams 

Unreal how far Eli has come. As a Louisville fan, I never expected him to be a prominent NFL player. He's a little on the small side and he isn't a wow athlete at all. He's a hard nosed guy who has good hands and tends to find the football when it matters. Seems like he converted a ton of 1st downs for us during his Louisville career. I'll hold off on drafting him in standard leagues though. I just can't see him breaking away from NFL DB's for long TD's and he's a little small for scoring down in the red zone. 

12 minutes ago, OneNastyNupe said:

Rogers is available on virtually every waiver wire...most of those guys were drafted in leagues I've been in, save for Williams 

That's now, but a lot of leagues drafted before or early during preseason where all those guys weren't being drafted because there was no hype. Another reason why drafting early is better. Sleepers are.. Well, sleepers.

Sharpe wasn't being drafted in leagues or even on radars until after preseason week 2.

Funchess wasn't really being drafted until after you heard all the blurbs during preseason.

Hogan wasn't being drafted because they had too many weapons in NE.

Rogers wasn't being drafted until after week 2 of preseason, after multiple fumbles by Coates.

Edited by ss3walkman

1 minute ago, ss3walkman said:

That's now, but a lot of leagues drafted before or early during preseason where all those guys weren't being drafted because there was no hype. Another reason why drafting early is better. Sleepers are.. Well, sleepers. 

Eli is still only owned in 4% of yahoo leagues...and hasn't been drafted in any draft I have participated in over the past week. Better for me, as I was able to pluck him off the wire post-draft in all of them. I will see if that trend changes this weekend