Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ericc5

Is it better to start an RB or WR at flex in standard scoring?

Over the past few years I have played fantasy I always tried to fit a RB in the flex spot. But, it appears that both fantasy football and the are turning more into a pass-happy and WR dominant game. I bring up this question because on fantasy pros mock draft analyzer you always appear to be punished for having a WR at your flex. They will rank a lower-tier RB like Ryan Matthews as a better flex than a considerably better WR such as Demaryius Thomas or T.Y Hilton. Obviously, the quality of the players plays a huge factor into the decision but if you had a WR and RB ranked pretty much equally which one would you lean toward starting?

RBs are better flexers in standard scoring because they touch the ball more and are therefore more likely to score--and TDs are big in standard scoring.

I mean if you're choosing between Allen Robinson and Shane Vereen, go with the WR, but most RB3s are going to be more valuable in Standard than most WR3/4s.

Eric I usually base my decision on who's out there and the matchup. A couple of years ago I had three very solid RBs and started one in that spot every week. Last year was pretty well split down the middle in terms of who I started. I think it all depends on who it is and matchup, but if they are similar I'm going to agree with Axe that RB is the way to go. 

I always lean toward the RB at flex in standard, all things being equal.  They are guaranteed more touches, thereby having a higher floor as well as a higher chance at scoring a TD.  If Mathews is healthy, I would start him over most WR's outside the top 15 in standard.

In standard leagues, I try to grab at least 4 starting or timeshare RB's to keep that Flex Position filled with an RB. After that, a couple dart throws late in the draft to handcuff my starters or high injury potential for other teams (Ajayi behind Foster, etc.).

Best player + best matchup = FLEX    and when analyzing D, look at pass D and run D before overall D ranking.

RB all the time start at Flex. They get far more points than any WR at that spot. And who cares about the DST + stats they are playing against? Not me! Never did and never will. 

i always tend to start an everydown RB in my flex in a standard league.   just a safer bet for points.     all depends on who the players are though.   if you have a stacked WR core full of target hogs, i'd lean there over just a volume dependent RB who needs to fall into the endzone to payoff.