XxxOilOverloadxxX

Tim Tebow - NYM

30 minutes ago, Stein said:

I kind of hope he becomes a star.

Have you seen his swing? I will eat a Tebow jersey if he makes it to be majors. He'll get a shot as a novelty for a minor league team, but it won't last.

26 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

Have you seen his swing? I will eat a Tebow jersey if he makes it to be majors. He'll get a shot as a novelty for a minor league team, but it won't last.

I've never seen anything I liked from him on the field.

6 hours ago, Jrod124 said:

Guy is arguably the greatest college QB of all time, he will have a gig somewhere if he wants it.

Exactly.  He's been working for the SEC Network since 2013 and has done some other work for ESPN as well.  He even co-hosted Good Morning America for a day.  He's also part of a FOX show called "Home Free", which is a reality series involving renovating homes.

I'm not a big Tebow guy, but Oswald obviously can't stand the guy for some reason.  His 15 minutes are definitely not up.

Of course, those 15 minutes on the baseball field won't even get underway.

On 8/9/2016 at 0:45 PM, StevieStats said:

I'd love to see him in the clubhouse with Pedro Cerrano.

I'd love to see him in the clubhouse with Yasiel Puig.  Two egomaniacs of different flavors all about themselves first, last and foremost.

10 hours ago, RenegadeGM said:

I'm not a big Tebow guy, but Oswald obviously can't stand the guy for some reason.  His 15 minutes are definitely not up.

Of course, those 15 minutes on the baseball field won't even get underway.

Oswald is in the majority.  Even if someone started out neutral to him just seeing what ESPN has done over the years of their endless Tebow Cult worship is enough to make anyone sick of him.

Bill Belichick wanted to make a tight end out of him when the Pats picked him up briefly but Tebow was all QB or nothing stuff and was soon cut.  So the people that said rugby would have worked probably are on to something but Tebow's ego would never permit him to "stoop" (in his mind) to playing that sport.

16 hours ago, oswald737 said:

Have you seen his swing?

Have you?

All I saw was some snipe of a couple of BP swings w/o slow motion and only 1 angle. 

Edited by Slatykamora

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I'd love to see him in the clubhouse with Yasiel Puig.  Two egomaniacs of different flavors all about themselves first, last and foremost.

Oswald is in the majority.  Even if someone started out neutral to him just seeing what ESPN has done over the years of their endless Tebow Cult worship is enough to make anyone sick of him.

Bill Belichick wanted to make a tight end out of him when the Pats picked him up briefly but Tebow was all QB or nothing stuff and was soon cut.  So the people that said rugby would have worked probably are on to something but Tebow's ego would never permit him to "stoop" (in his mind) to playing that sport.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but there's a big difference in having people dislike you and having your "15 minutes" up.  Plenty of people hate Tebow, no doubt.  Plenty of people down south still love him.  There's even people who are delusional and think he can still be an NFL quarterback.

I don't have a strong feeling about him either way, really.  I wasn't debating on whether people liked or disliked him, but more that we haven't seen the last of Tebow in the public eye by a longshot, as Oswald alluded to.  At the very least, he'll be on TV talking about college football in some form.

This will be like Michael Jordan's baseball experiment. No matter which minor league team he signs with he will always be the story. Tebow is just famous for being well known not actually having any real talent. I hope he doesn't block a real prospect off a roster so he can feed his ego. Tebow 15 minutes will never be up since he will never go away. Maybe he can actually succeed but I doubt it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Have you?

All I saw was some snipe of a couple of BP swings w/o slow motion and only 1 angle. 

There are multiple videos....

14 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

Tebow is just famous for being well known not actually having any real talent.

Is this a troll post?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, oswald737 said:

There are multiple videos....

Here's a great one, with breakdown.

https://thehittingvault.com/2016/08/11/does-tim-tebow-have-a-mlb-swing/

I'll join you in the eating of a Tebow jersey. I work with 12yr olds that have better swings

• Like 2

I never really understood the Tebow fervor one way or another.  I never understood why people were so enamoured with him and conversly why some really disliked him, he seemed not the kind of player that would of triggered such a polar response.  When you are not a star, this will hurt your opportunity to make it in a sport.  Football teams, coaches especially do not want extra media attention because of who their 2nd or 3rd string QB are, so while this notoriety I think helped land him jobs off the field, it probably cost him opportunity for 2nd and 3rd string work in the NFL.  

As for baseball, there are a LOT of teams out there, minor league teams, independent teams, etc.  My guess is an Independent team will sign him one that is not affiliated with an MLB club.  I remember Jordan hit like .200 in his first season, then went to the Arizona Fall League, really?  Do guys who normally hit .200 go to the AFL?  So hopefully its not a situation like that.  Jose Canseco right now is playing for a local Professional baseball team, there are so many out there, someone will give him the opp

Is there any way to put specific threads on ignore? I can't seem to find the option if it exists. Thanks.

Guy could have carved out a nice little nfl career if he swallowed his pride and became a fullback, h-back, tight end etc. There's no shame in that. This is asinine.

Edited by Marty Funkhouser
  • Like 2

Tebow turns 29 tomorrow.... So he will be a very young 29 in his first year of pro ball.  So while the odds are certainly stacked against him I'll be rooting for him.  

4 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Tebow turns 29 tomorrow.... So he will be a very young 29 in his first year of pro ball.  So while the odds are certainly stacked against him I'll be rooting for him.  

If he catches on with a minor league club he won't start playing until April next year what with their season winding down the end of this month in 2 weeks time.  I don't know how he gets into something like winter ball unless a major league team signs him.  So it seems he would be more in the older 29 category.  I guess he could go play with some independent club who wants to milk him for pulling in a gate but what type of real baseball experience would he get with such an outfit with less than stellar coaching etc.

Great quote from razzball: if he makes it, it will be as a 1b or DH because those positions don't require throwing.

• Like 2

35Hit 50power grades. Lol, even his vaunted speed grades at only 55. My favorite anonymous scout quote- "he sucked."

@oswald737, I don't think we need to get the A-1 sauce out anytime soon. 

Also saw 55 raw on ESPN and 70 raw on Fox. Some team out there will take a chance on fixing his swing. If he wasn't 29 he'd have rosterable potential imo.

Edited by elrey

But he is 29 which is pretty much the whole problem here.  If he was ten years younger right out of high school a year then things could be a lot different.  But he isn't.

He has really messed up any chance at a professional career in sports.  It wasn't just the Patriots that wanted to make a tight end out of him.  Several teams did.  But he refused that road to what might have been a decent NFL career because he actually thought he could be a NFL QB after it was obvious he wasn't.  Ego will kill you every time.  Now, way past the time it "might have happened" for him, he takes up baseball after a 12 year gap.

27 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Not a FA anymore--signed by the Mets.

Of course it would be the Mets.  lol

• Like 1

Unless he's getting paid an inappropriate amount I like the signing. With his power, do your best to teach him how to hit and see if he becomes anything. Nothing to lose.