XxxOilOverloadxxX

Tim Tebow - NYM

Rotoworld blurb:

Mets signed OF Tim Tebow to a minor league contract.

He'll begin his professional baseball "career" next week at the Mets' instructional league in Port St. Lucie, Florida. Tebow showed impressive batting practice power but little else in a workout with major league teams (and throngs of media) last month in Los Angeles. The 29-year-old seems doubtful to make it past Low-A ball, assuming this experiment persists into 2017 and beyond. We mostly feel bad for all the Mets beat writers who had been covering an intriguing National League Wild Card race.

That says it all.  Way to distract from the Mets trying to grab a wildcard slot with this circus signing.  OTOH NY sports talk shows just got some red meat to eat.  And those guys will eat him alive too.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I can already see in his swing that he's muscling up a bit too much with his arms.  Arms need to stay loose and quick.  Hopefully he can make it to the bigs even if it's just to strike out looking 1 time.

• Like 1

There is 0% chance this guy makes it to MLB. 

If the White Sox didn't give Jordan a chance to appear in MLB, then the Mets won't give Tebow the chance. 

On 9/10/2016 at 1:05 PM, jwblue said:

There is 0% chance this guy makes it to MLB. 

If the White Sox didn't give Jordan a chance to appear in MLB, then the Mets won't give Tebow the chance. 

While it's unlikely it certainly isn't a 0% chance.  Also if Jordan didn't get right back into basketball he would have made the major leagues.  How many guys can at 31 all of a sudden jump into AA and steal 30 bases?  I doubt Tebow even starts at advanced A ball., but we will see what happens.

Again I highly doubt he'll make it but I would love to see him pull it off.

13 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

First AB nice opposite field Bomb off a lefty

1 for 6 but hit the ball hard 4 times.... And obviously his HR

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:46 AM, parrothead said:

I never really understood the Tebow fervor one way or another.  I never understood why people were so enamoured with him and conversly why some really disliked him, he seemed not the kind of player that would of triggered such a polar response.  

A jesus freak who became the greatest college qb of all time but was clearly and obviously not good enough to play in the nfl?  makes sense to me

Born on August 17th 1987, this guy is an American who wasn't born in America. He loves Jesus, taking his shirt off, and this woman:

cdd18791ddc01a4fc50227cfb7fd7b43f39acdee

Timothy spent his college years playing football. "The Tebow Rule" came into existence because he couldn't stop putting bible verses under his eyes, and the NCAA belongs to the Church of Satan

Selected 25th overall by the Broncos, he wore the number 15. If you reverse the number 15, it turns into a 51. He asked Terry Collins if he could simply put "Genesis 25:30" on his jersey, but was not allowed (the Mets are also part of the Church of Satan).

He played 35 games in the NFL, often calling Roger Goodell his "homeboy", and made it to the playoffs in 2011. Timothy holds a record that will likely never be broken: he was sacked 7 times in a game, 5 in a playoff game. Obviously his defence was really good and he was really fast. 

Now with the New York Mets, Timothy hopes to bring his signature Mortal Kombat finisher with him to the clubhouse: "Yeah, i'd really love to show Jose Reyes how to throw an elbow. I'm sure he can teach me a few moves, too."

Edited by BlueJaysIn2030
  • Like 1

I just need people to address the fact that Tebow is the face most recognized in baseball and likely the first thing the average American thinks of when they hear baseball. 

I wish the conversation was less about why we are talking about him and more about why won't they talk about anyone else? 

The player marketing in the MLB is atrocious. 

9 hours ago, JoshBBR said:

I just need people to address the fact that Tebow is the face most recognized in baseball and likely the first thing the average American thinks of when they hear baseball. 

I wish the conversation was less about why we are talking about him and more about why won't they talk about anyone else? 

The player marketing in the MLB is atrocious. 

I think most Americans don't even know Tebow is attempting to play minor league ball.  And the first thing the "average American" thinks of when they hear baseball is why are the games so long.  The first person(s) they think of are players like Mike Trout and Clayton Kershaw; not Tebow.  Heck way more people would think of a retired Big Pappi before Tebow.

Local Boston stations had a field day on their sports segment this evening with the Tim Tebow lowlights vs the Red Sox.

• Like 1

Knock him all you want but on the other side of the coin don't you wish you were playing in his place?

And he did look bad, well really bad, but he was on the field while most of us were working our hum drum jobs

Gonna need some of this to ever be relevant outside of a publicity stunt for the Mets

tebowintheoutfield.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Knock him all you want but on the other side of the coin don't you wish you were playing in his place?

And he did look bad, well really bad, but he was on the field while most of us were working our hum drum jobs

No, I absolutely completely totally don't wish I was playing in his place.  I've never had any desire to play baseball professionally.  Just watch and enjoy it.  No more than I've ever had any desire to be a movie director.  Just watch and enjoy movies.  Or be a musician.  Just listen to and enjoy music.  I'm totally fine with my life as it is and have no desire to be any of those three things.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2017 at 10:27 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think most Americans don't even know Tebow is attempting to play minor league ball.  And the first thing the "average American" thinks of when they hear baseball is why are the games so long.  The first person(s) they think of are players like Mike Trout and Clayton Kershaw; not Tebow.  Heck way more people would think of a retired Big Pappi before Tebow.

Local Boston stations had a field day on their sports segment this evening with the Tim Tebow lowlights vs the Red Sox.

I think you would be surprised. In the latest ESPN World Fame ranking a baseball player wasn't listed until into the 70s.Granted Tebow didn't make this list popularity of College Football is a lot higher here in America than worldwide. If you are from a northern state than your viewpoint of baseball likely leads it to believe it is far more popular than it likely is in the rest of America. 

In February 2016 Fox did a poll on who people's favorite QB was in the NFL and Tim Tebow finished 5th. Higher than Russell Wilson, Eli, Big Ben, and Drew Brees. Considering Brees and Wilson finished Top 50 in that ESPN World Fame poll I don't think it is farfetched at all to think Tebow's American presence is far more known than you may believe it to be. Given the fact Tebow wasn't even a starting quarterback at that time it says a lot about how known he is to someone who isn't even watching sports. 

Also given how valuable we believe baseball is to the rest of the world it is really hard to see Harper and Trout fall into the 70s in such a poll.

Just my two cents though. I know the areas I travel to for work know very little about MLB in comparison to football in general which is mainly Virginia to Florida.

13 hours ago, JoshBBR said:

I think you would be surprised. In the latest ESPN World Fame ranking a baseball player wasn't listed until into the 70s.Granted Tebow didn't make this list popularity of College Football is a lot higher here in America than worldwide. If you are from a northern state than your viewpoint of baseball likely leads it to believe it is far more popular than it likely is in the rest of America. 

In February 2016 Fox did a poll on who people's favorite QB was in the NFL and Tim Tebow finished 5th. Higher than Russell Wilson, Eli, Big Ben, and Drew Brees. Considering Brees and Wilson finished Top 50 in that ESPN World Fame poll I don't think it is farfetched at all to think Tebow's American presence is far more known than you may believe it to be. Given the fact Tebow wasn't even a starting quarterback at that time it says a lot about how known he is to someone who isn't even watching sports. 

Also given how valuable we believe baseball is to the rest of the world it is really hard to see Harper and Trout fall into the 70s in such a poll.

Just my two cents though. I know the areas I travel to for work know very little about MLB in comparison to football in general which is mainly Virginia to Florida.

I have no idea what you are even trying to say.  The question I took on was who would "an average American" think of first regards "baseball."  Not a college football player.  Not the rest of the world. 

An average American would NOT associate Tebow with baseball let alone someone outside the US.  And someonen outside the US has nothing to do with what "the average American" thinks.  And online polls have nothing to do with any reality at all.  You get an auto-clicker and you could make Barry Zito the biggest name in sports worldwide ever.

World fame?  Who cares. That wasn't what this question was about.  Nor were silly, bogus online polls.

And you just insulted a large chunk of the country here in the US to imply that people in the south and west can't name any baseball player.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

21 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I have no idea what you are even trying to say.  The question I took on was who would "an average American" think of first regards "baseball."  Not a college football player.  Not the rest of the world. 

An average American would NOT associate Tebow with baseball let alone someone outside the US.  And someonen outside the US has nothing to do with what "the average American" thinks.  And online polls have nothing to do with any reality at all.  You get an auto-clicker and you could make Barry Zito the biggest name in sports worldwide ever.

World fame?  Who cares. That wasn't what this question was about.  Nor were silly, bogus online polls.

And you just insulted a large chunk of the country here in the US to imply that people in the south and west can't name any baseball player.

You know, in some regards you are right. My phrasing of "the first thing they think of" is a very, very strong phrase. That likely goes to 3 strikes your out, home run, their local team. But in terms of who the average American know I stand very firm behind the idea that more people in America know Tebow in comparison to any other name in baseball. Tebow in the minors is the biggest story in the MLB and likely will remain it all year. Heck my mother mentioned it to me and she doesn't follow baseball in the slightest. 

My points with the poll was only trying to communicate that baseball is in a terrible place in terms of individual player branding and Tebow is a very strong brand.

I didn't feel like I communicated anything that would be insulting other than the people I run into don't know baseball and know a lot about football. College Football really does dominate the south. 

Didn't mean for it to be fiesty. I really hate that Mike Trout isn't a household name across America. I haven't yet fully formed my opinion on if Tebow in the MLB would be good or bad for baseball. 

1 hour ago, JoshBBR said:

You know, in some regards you are right. My phrasing of "the first thing they think of" is a very, very strong phrase. That likely goes to 3 strikes your out, home run, their local team. But in terms of who the average American know I stand very firm behind the idea that more people in America know Tebow in comparison to any other name in baseball. Tebow in the minors is the biggest story in the MLB and likely will remain it all year. Heck my mother mentioned it to me and she doesn't follow baseball in the slightest. 

My points with the poll was only trying to communicate that baseball is in a terrible place in terms of individual player branding and Tebow is a very strong brand.

I didn't feel like I communicated anything that would be insulting other than the people I run into don't know baseball and know a lot about football. College Football really does dominate the south. 

Didn't mean for it to be fiesty. I really hate that Mike Trout isn't a household name across America. I haven't yet fully formed my opinion on if Tebow in the MLB would be good or bad for baseball. 

1. Mike Trout is a household name in America.

2. Again, most people only know Tebow regards football.  They have no idea he is "playing" minor league baseball.  So just no Tebow is NOT a strong baseball brand even remotely.  And he will not be a story let alone a big story this year.

3. I know football is big in the south.  We moved to Florida when I was a kid so I spent years there.  Big whoop.  People there also know baseball.  They aren't ignorant.  So dude you have to get out more and get away from your small crowd of baaseball no-nothings.  People in the south know baseball too.  Over 50% of all major league players born in America tend to come from either the south or California these days.

4. Your poll said nothing.  It was a world poll where soccer still dominates.  Says nothing about America.  And online polls are always rigged by some basement kid and his auto-clicker.

in the category of you can't make this up

The pitcher Tebow homered off of you ask? Domenic Mazza, 2015 Draft - Giants - 22nd round - Pick# 666.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Home Run first AB

are we talking 30-40 home run power here?

Over the course of his MILB career? Maybe. Depends whether the Mets stick with this publicity stunt long enough.