XxxOilOverloadxxX

Tim Tebow - NYM

Timmy got a double in his 4 appearances during his undeserved asg appearance in case anyone missed it!  Easily the worst prospect in all of the minor leagues right now and they're giving him honors.  

If the Tebow hate is overboard please explain why he should be in AA let alone in the ASG. 

27 minutes ago, IDGAFOS said:

Timmy got a double in his 4 appearances during his undeserved asg appearance in case anyone missed it!  Easily the worst prospect in all of the minor leagues right now and they're giving him honors.  

If the Tebow hate is overboard please explain why he should be in AA let alone in the ASG. 

i think you're animosity toward tebow may have taken you a bit too far in your overall evaluation.

i'm not a tebow apologist, and i didn't think he had the stats to be an all-star, but i certainly don't care that he was named to the team. that being said, his wRC+ in AA is 105, which means he's slightly above average. i don't know how his defense plays, he doesn't strike me as fast, but i assume has a decent arm. let's assume he's passable in the outfield.

a player with average to slightly above average offensive production and average defense is probably not the "worst prospect in all of the minor leagues." no, he's not an all-star, but he's not hot garbage either.. he's just a minor league player.

i guess to be technical, he's not a prospect either, since he's not listed in the top 30 team rankings by any of usual outlets, right?

I don't think you can be listed as a prospect after you hit a certain age. 

Its impossible to argue that Tebow hasn't gotten opportunities that exceed his skills. I originally said he would have no shot making the pros, but I definitely underestimated the willingness of baseball to push a player so devoid of the required talent as a money grab.

I have nothing against Tim Tebow as a person. In fact, I think he's a genuinely good dude who has used his celebrity to benefit others in a way that many athletes do not. Unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact that he isn't a good enough baseball player to warrant much of the following he has received.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oswald737 said:

Its impossible to argue that Tebow hasn't gotten opportunities that exceed his skills. I originally said he would have no shot making the pros, but I definitely underestimated the willingness of baseball to push a player so devoid of the required talent as a money grab.

I have nothing against Tim Tebow as a person. In fact, I think he's a genuinely good dude who has used his celebrity to benefit others in a way that many athletes do not. Unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact that he isn't a good enough baseball player to warrant much of the following he has received.

Batting .270 with 5 HRs  so far in AA is above average.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

For a soon to be 31 year old?  Nope.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/12/2018 at 5:14 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Do you not understand the point of AA?  It's not for 31 year old's doing 'above average'.  

• Confused 1

On 7/12/2018 at 8:13 AM, IDGAFOS said:

The same reason Harper is in the All-star game batting, what, .212-.214?  Ratings and eyeballs

On 7/12/2018 at 11:52 AM, osb_tensor said:

i think you're animosity toward tebow may have taken you a bit too far in your overall evaluation.

i'm not a tebow apologist, and i didn't think he had the stats to be an all-star, but i certainly don't care that he was named to the team. that being said, his wRC+ in AA is 105, which means he's slightly above average. i don't know how his defense plays, he doesn't strike me as fast, but i assume has a decent arm. let's assume he's passable in the outfield.

a player with average to slightly above average offensive production and average defense is probably not the "worst prospect in all of the minor leagues." no, he's not an all-star, but he's not hot garbage either.. he's just a minor league player.

i guess to be technical, he's not a prospect either, since he's not listed in the top 30 team rankings by any of usual outlets, right?

his age is what makes him the worst 'prospect' in baseball.  if it wasn't for his marketability he would've never been promoted to AA.  sure I'm amazed he's hitting .275 right now but nothing else he's doing suggests he has any future past this level.  

i don't dislike tebow at all but he has no business being where he is.  He makes James Loney seem like Babe Ruth. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, IDGAFOS said:

his age is what makes him the worst 'prospect' in baseball.  if it wasn't for his marketability he would've never been promoted to AA.  sure I'm amazed he's hitting .275 right now but nothing else he's doing suggests he has any future past this level.  

i don't dislike tebow at all but he has no business being where he is.  He makes James Loney seem like Babe Ruth. 

the problem is that you don't know what his future holds. a player who didn't begin his career until his age 29 season can't be compared to guys who started their careers at age 18 in terms of skill growth. if he had toiled away in the minors for ~10 years and is now a 30 year old player in AA, then yeah, he's probably a bad prospect who should look for other opportunities in life. his situation is unique, though, because he doesn't even have two full seasons of ABs. we don't know what his potential is. i have my doubts he'll amount to anything more than minor league depth, but to write him off solely based on his age and level isn't a fair comparison and appears to be based on who he is, not what he's doing.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, IDGAFOS said:

This sums up about 75% of minor leaguers.  Most of these guys are just bodies to fill out a roster with no chance to make the majors.  Tebow was a legit prospect at one point which make him more legit than most of the other guys out there. I would rather have a former prospect breaking in at age 30 in my organization than a 19 year old scrub and that's not even touching on the butts he puts in seats.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

the problem is that you don't know what his future holds. a player who didn't begin his career until his age 29 season can't be compared to guys who started their careers at age 18 in terms of skill growth. if he had toiled away in the minors for ~10 years and is now a 30 year old player in AA, then yeah, he's probably a bad prospect who should look for other opportunities in life. his situation is unique, though, because he doesn't even have two full seasons of ABs. we don't know what his potential is. i have my doubts he'll amount to anything more than minor league depth, but to write him off solely based on his age and level isn't a fair comparison and appears to be based on who he is, not what he's doing.

This is exactly it.  Most prospects that train for baseball their entire life phase out before they ever make it to AA.  Tebow has gotten  to AA and continued to show steady improvement.

His learning curve is remarkable honestly.  He opened his 2nd season as a pro in AA. 

Again to put perspective on this how many guys out of the draft do that?  You're talking about the top college pitcher and maybe the top college hitter but probably less than 2 guys a draft on average. Cole, Bryant, Schawrber, Bregman come to mind.... Even Benintendi opened his second season in Advanced A ball.

Tebow will likely make it to the big leagues at this point.  Just hopefully not before Zach Borenstein's given a chance.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/18/2018 at 3:11 PM, FouLLine said:

This is exactly it.  Most prospects that train for baseball their entire life phase out before they ever make it to AA.  Tebow has gotten  to AA and continued to show steady improvement.

His learning curve is remarkable honestly.  He opened his 2nd season as a pro in AA. 

Again to put perspective on this how many guys out of the draft do that?  You're talking about the top college pitcher and maybe the top college hitter but probably less than 2 guys a draft on average. Cole, Bryant, Schawrber, Bregman come to mind.... Even Benintendi opened his second season in Advanced A ball.

Tebow will likely make it to the big leagues at this point.  Just hopefully not before Zach Borenstein's given a chance.

What did he do in hist first season to suggest it was even deserved?  He has an okay batting average at AA...everything else in his stat line is horrible.  I just don't see any potential unless he turns into some power hitter over night.  Like I said before, he's slow as hell, sucks in the field and strikes out a ton.  He's like Adam Dunn without power.

I don't doubt Tebow will see MLB time but chances are it will because of his name.

Edited by IDGAFOS
  • Confused 3

The guy with nothing to offer but publicity is now on the DL.  Let the swan songs begin.  

• Confused 3