XxxOilOverloadxxX

Tim Tebow - NYM

I guess I'm nearly alone in rooting for him to get to the majors. I don't think he's good enough to remain there for long, but his is a compelling story and it would be a Rudyesque ending.

On 5/23/2018 at 12:39 AM, Mdubb23 said:

Career year! Slashing .240/.324/.405 through 36 games in AA. Get in while you can.

That's way better than Michael Jordan hit in AA.

Seriously, I would love to see him make it.  I doubt he is ever any better than Rick Ankiel (as a hitter) but I'd love to see his cannon arm in RF gunning down players trying to go from first to third on a single.  Although the 2016 reports suggested he didn't have great arm strength, I'm guessing he can become really good with more reps.

• Haha 1

he will be 31 years old in August.  I would love to see his ABs and what he is getting to hit.  I wonder if a bunch of young 20 year old AA guys are throwing fastballs thinking they can get it by him.  I wonder if they starting moving those fastballs around the zone and throwing some sliders and changeups how he would do.  Actually pitch to him rather than act like it's BP.  Then watch is numbers drop.  By the time he actually improves his bat speed will be too slow.  He can afford to live his dream and hang out with younger guys. 

cool story for sure but at his age, unless he has some really great tools that haven't surfaced yet due to inexperience (that nobody believes exist), i don't see him ever getting out of the farm system.

Tebow could be making millions as a TV personality/college football analyst or something, instead of traveling long hours for lame pay, in a sport he has increasingly rarer odds of succeeding at. 

7 hours ago, Ben Edelman said:

That's way better than Michael Jordan hit in AA.

Seriously, I would love to see him make it.  I doubt he is ever any better than Rick Ankiel (as a hitter) but I'd love to see his cannon arm in RF gunning down players trying to go from first to third on a single.  Although the 2016 reports suggested he didn't have great arm strength, I'm guessing he can become really good with more reps.

Tebow guns it to home to try to nail a tagging Cesar Hernandez...INTERCEPTED BY MALCOLM JENKINS!!

• Haha 3

On 5/23/2018 at 9:08 AM, CaptainObvious said:

I guess I'm nearly alone in rooting for him to get to the majors. I don't think he's good enough to remain there for long, but his is a compelling story and it would be a Rudyesque ending.

Please don't insult the real Rudy.  Rudy was a true David born with no real athletic gifts but only a good heart and strong desire and work ethic.

Meanwhile Tebow is a Goliath who, because of his giant ego, got slingshot-ed down to size.  He could have been a pretty good TE in pro football -- the Patriots would have taken him if he agreed to the move -- but no it had to be as THE star at QB and he refused to switch.  There never was any "team" in "Tebow" and there still isn't.   I'm not rooting for him at all.  Just feeling sorry that he is taking away a spot on the roster for some true Rudy-like kid he just wants to do anything to play baseball because Mets marketing comes first.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Please don't insult the real Rudy.  Rudy was a true David born with no real athletic gifts but only a good heart and strong desire and work ethic.

Meanwhile Tebow is a Goliath who, because of his giant ego, got slingshot-ed down to size.  He could have been a pretty good TE in pro football -- the Patriots would have taken him if he agreed to the move -- but no it had to be as THE star at QB and he refused to switch.  There never was any "team" in "Tebow" and there still isn't.   I'm not rooting for him at all.  Just feeling sorry that he is taking away a spot on the roster for some true Rudy-like kid he just wants to do anything to play baseball because Mets marketing comes first.

This times 1,000

Youve said everything I’ve ever thought on the issue.  He’s doing nothing but using his fame in taking a roster spot from a kid who truly deserves it.  Great athlete?  Sure.  But the absurd k rate is evidence of the fact that he’s not able to handle it.  Nothing but a marketing ploy, and sadly, one that definitely will end with him making the major leagues

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

There never was any "team" in "Tebow" and there still isn't.  

Do you have any proof to back up that claim?  I have NEVER heard  any of his former teammates say he was a bad teammate.  I just don't get the irrational hate for Tebow.  

Edited by panthersfan75
grammar

23 minutes ago, panthersfan75 said:

Do you have any proof to back up that claim?  I have NEVER heard one of his former teammates say he was a bad teammate.  I just don't get the irrational hate for Tebow.  

I don't get the irrational hate either.  That comes from people upset about his showing his faith publicly.  I have no problem if he wants to take a knee for religion any more than Colin Kaepernick taking one to call awareness to racism in society.  I'm all for the freedom to express your conscience  That is a personal thing and a freedom of speech American thing both. 

But I do greatly dislike him and there is a big difference between the two.  I dislike him because he thinks he is bigger than the game.  And yes it IS all about him and not the team. 

He could have used his athletic gifts to help any team in the NFL if he was willing to play TE.  It just wasn't the Pats who saw that though they did have a firm tight end offer on the table he declined.  Most all teams saw that.  But he refused because he wanted to be the star, the QB only.  He refused to even try any other position.  There is no "team" in this guy unless it is with him as the star of the "team" which means by definition he is not a "team" player.

Sure he is a good "teammate" when he is the star.  That is easy for anyone to do.  But take away the star billing and he goes into sulk mode.  Achilles in his tent waiting for Agamemnon to beg him for help.  Accept he is more Patroclus and not an Achilles-level guy.  And you know what happened to Patroclus when he put on Achilles' armor.

Now he is taking the slot of a youngster who  wants to play baseball with all his heart and soul because Tebow wants to have fun and try out baseball.  Either that or he is totally delusional and actually thinks he could be a major leaguer.  Either it is ego or delusion or maybe a little of each.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

Do we REALLY need a Timmy thread?

He's a sideshow more than anything else. 

have you ever been to a minor league game?  They are nothing but sideshows.  Selling tickets to minor league baseball is tough, signing Tebow to play sells tickets, more than worth it

3 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

have you ever been to a minor league game?  They are nothing but sideshows.  Selling tickets to minor league baseball is tough, signing Tebow to play sells tickets, more than worth it

I've been to lots of minor league games. However the sideshow is usually between innings, or after the game or some silly theme, not someone playing in the game. Thats my point. He's not a legit player. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

I've been to lots of minor league games. However the sideshow is usually between innings, or after the game or some silly theme, not someone playing in the game. Thats my point. He's not a legit player. 

yah I know hes not, but the point being made, and I actually meant to quote the guy after you but kinda the same sentiment, every AA team for every organization has some schlub OF/1B on the roster who is a non prospect just hanging around as long as he can

On 5/23/2018 at 5:36 AM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Ive seen worse lines.

Not on any of his girlfriend's - I guarantee that!

I understand the nausea of Tim Tebow.  But I think this is a pretty cool story.  Sure he could of gone and played another position in NFL.  But why?  He believed in himself as a quarterback in NFL.  Call it stubborn or stupid but instead of feeling sorry for himself he went to another sport and has played pretty damn admirably.  Probably sets a great tone for Mets minor leaguers with his work ethic.  He wasn’t a natural baseball player the fact that he could pick it up after all these years and still be solid is a pretty nice testament to a great resolve in terms of character.  In a world of a lot of s*** bag people it’s kind of nice to see people who’ve been knocked down and instead of taking easy way out of feeling sorry for themselves they work hard, believe in themselves and keep grinding.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 9

I get the nausea as well, but the continual accusation that he’s taking a roster spot is actually stupid. 

Baseball is a business, whether we like it or not. He was added to do two things: bring in money for some MiLB affiliates, and be a good clubhouse presence. By all reports, he’s doing those things. It’s fine, and hardly worth writing mini-essay takedowns of the dude. 

Look at the OF players they have in their affiliates anyways. They completely blow. He’s not taking a roster spot from anyone. If they had any OF talent worth a damn, I’m sure they’d make sure to get them appropriate ABs. Until then, using him to make some money and provide a little leadership is far from the worst thing they could do. 

Edited by Philoumenos
  • Like 2

Guy obviously loves to play ball. It's about the only nice thing I can say about him, but its something. If I could bat .240 at AA I'd do it for free until they dragged me off the diamond.

• Like 1

It was announced Friday that Tebow had made the All-Star Game for the Eastern League, which is one of three Double-A leagues, along with the Southern League and the Texas League. Tebow is currently playing for the Bimghamton Rumble Ponies (Mets affiliate). 

Tebow's overall line isn't overwhelming. He's hitting .261/.335/.398 with the league average being .251/.325/.389. So he's slightly above average on the season. He has, however, been on fire of late. In his last 21 games, Tebow is hitting .323/.353/.462. In his last 10? .406/.424/.625 with nine RBI. 

• Like 1

37% K rate in AA with a .400 BABIP... it's a cool story, but the skills just aren't there

16 hours ago, jahweedum said:

It was announced Friday that Tebow had made the All-Star Game for the Eastern League, which is one of three Double-A leagues, along with the Southern League and the Texas League. Tebow is currently playing for the Bimghamton Rumble Ponies (Mets affiliate). 

Tebow's overall line isn't overwhelming. He's hitting .261/.335/.398 with the league average being .251/.325/.389. So he's slightly above average on the season. He has, however, been on fire of late. In his last 21 games, Tebow is hitting .323/.353/.462. In his last 10? .406/.424/.625 with nine RBI. 

And he is an all star game why?  Ticket sales.  Period.  Some other player who was more deserving to play in that all star game is blocked by him.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 6:43 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

And he is an all star game why?  Ticket sales.  Period.  Some other player who was more deserving to play in that all star game is blocked by him.

Oh please. Plenty of "more deserving" players in the majors miss out on ASG's as well. It's a popularity contest. Tebow is plenty popular. He isn't taking the baseball world by storm but he's surprisingly holding his own. 

The Tebow hate has gone a bit overboard. 

• Like 7

On 6/30/2018 at 9:43 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Because it's the all STAR game, not the all GOOD STAT LINES game.  The AS game has always been an exhibition about selling tickets.  So yeah, you are right, and that's how it's supposed to be.  Bring in the fans for a fun exhibition, that's all.

Heck, Cal Ripken Jr. was an all-star in his final season in the majors.  He had an OPS+ of 70 that year.  And in case you are wondering, his OPS as of June 30th was .558, so he didn't make it on a great first half.  But he was and always will be a STAR.

How does a guy like this get hype when he has worse stat lines than a guy like Dayan Viciedo who achieved them at a major league level and bombed out?

Sure it's amazing that Tim has an average over .200 - but how does that make him 'good'?  He's the least deserving all-star I've seen in any level of a sport ever.  

On 7/2/2018 at 9:35 PM, Ben Edelman said:

Because it's the all STAR game, not the all GOOD STAT LINES game.  The AS game has always been an exhibition about selling tickets.  So yeah, you are right, and that's how it's supposed to be.  Bring in the fans for a fun exhibition, that's all.

Heck, Cal Ripken Jr. was an all-star in his final season in the majors.  He had an OPS+ of 70 that year.  And in case you are wondering, his OPS as of June 30th was .558, so he didn't make it on a great first half.  But he was and always will be a STAR.

Wasn't Cal voted in by the fans?