Savatage79

Snake vs Auction Drafting - Pick Your Poison

2 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

My big issue with auctions is you're essentially doing everyone else's homework for them in regards to sleepers or the latest injury updates. You toss a name out, and then everyone starts thumbing through their cheatsheets or review pages or whatever have you. It's frustrating

??   You can nominate anyone you want when it's your turn. 

Doesn't have to be your sleepers.  

Elaborate plz

2 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

My big issue with auctions is you're essentially doing everyone else's homework for them in regards to sleepers or the latest injury updates. You toss a name out, and then everyone starts thumbing through their cheatsheets or review pages or whatever have you. It's frustrating

I've never had that issue before.  Usually there isn't enough time for others to look up that player and outbid you.  If you find people that are bidding over you because they think you know more than they do just toss out a random guy and let them draft a nobody.  This is the beauty of the auctions.

I honestly believe the only people who don't prefer auctions are the ones who've never tried them.  It's not even close.  The only draft I've done this year so far was a YPro auction where one guy didn't show up -- the other owners immediately started using the autobots to fill his team with bench players, so awesome.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I had only done snake drafts for years until I got invited to join an auction league.  I didn't have any experience with them and had to do some research.  I thought the concept was pretty cool and seemed like a fair way to go about a draft.  After that first year I was blown away by how awesome it was.  After that year I look forward to that draft more than any other draft.  It also gets the majority of my attention when preparing since the snake drafts are much easier to prepare for.

I can see the advantages to it and I will probably do one for fun at some point. That being said I'm actually not much of a fan of anyone can get any player, I feel like it becomes less about football knowledge and more about managing amounts (although not much different from reaching in a draft) 

I just don't like when people use it as a way to boost their intelligence or something.  That's my only beef with it.  I mean people can go do a candy auction or a strip draft for all I care,  buts all ultimately preference. 

I sit and read and do my homework all year on players and prospects etc... But I just like snake drafts since it's how I been enjoying them since the 90s 

1 minute ago, vthokie3 said:

I can see the advantages to it and I will probably do one for fun at some point. That being said I'm actually not much of a fan of anyone can get any player, I feel like it becomes less about football knowledge and more about managing amounts (although not much different from reaching in a draft) 

But you still have to know what players are good and have an idea of what their real value is.  People don't just bid on a player because everyone else is, that's just silly.

1 minute ago, vthokie3 said:

On these lines, it's also about mimicking the NFL in how they acquire players. I like to simulate it close as possible.  Nfl can't just bid on guys and get whoever from the draft and so I follow their example.   

2 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

??   You can nominate anyone you want when it's your turn. 

Doesn't have to be your sleepers.  

Elaborate plz

Last year were getting down to the very end and I was one of the last few with some positions to fill. Foster was still out there and they were talking about him possibly being ready for the start of the season. Being that I was one of 3 left, I nominated him and wound up getting outbid by a guy who hadn't done his homework and that was made evident when he said, "And here I thought he was out all year." My fault as I should've waited til I was the very last one, but I digress.

1 minute ago, Savatage79 said:

I just don't like when people use it as a way to boost their intelligence or something.  That's my only beef with it.  I mean people can go do a candy auction or a strip draft for all I care,  buts all ultimately preference. 

I sit and read and do my homework all year on players and prospects etc... But I just like snake drafts since it's how I been enjoying them since the 90s 

Full disclosure:  the first league I ever did, I was so clueless I didn't realize it was an auction.  If I hadn't done that, I may never have tried one, but to me it's so much better, if you haven't done it you're missing out.

On these lines, it's also about mimicking the NFL in how they acquire players. I like to simulate it close as possible.  Nfl can't just bid on guys and get whoever from the draft and so I follow their example.   

Not comparing apples to apples...but it's fine to like what you like.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

But you still have to know what players are good and have an idea of what their real value is.  People don't just bid on a player because everyone else is, that's just silly.

I never said people were doing that, just that it seems more like managing money than picking players. It's all just a preference though, auction/snake/whatever, for me as long as people enjoy what they're playing more power to them

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I've never had that issue before.  Usually there isn't enough time for others to look up that player and outbid you.  If you find people that are bidding over you because they think you know more than they do just toss out a random guy and let them draft a nobody.  This is the beauty of the auctions.

That's my typical approach, but I'm worried I end up with guys I don't want

A long time ago in earlier days I was in a few leagues where after round 6 they all pretty much didn't care and you could tell were grabbing names they had no idea about,  they just seen the ranks on your second half draft names and grabbed them and I started to really notice and hate that.  And so I then started to build leagues with players like me and it's been great ever since 

2 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with snake drafts.  I still do more live snake drafts than auction drafts but I enjoy auctions more.  I just don't get why some say they don't like auctions yet they have never done one before.  It's not logical.  It reminds me of trying to get my son to eat certain foods.  I ask him to eat something, he says he doesn't like even though he's never tried it and I get pissed off because it doesn't make any damn sense.

1 minute ago, Nefarious Industrialist said:

Full disclosure:  the first league I ever did, I was so clueless I didn't realize it was an auction.  If I hadn't done that, I may never have tried one, but to me it's so much better, if you haven't done it you're missing out.

Oh I did a few,  just didn't care for them.  The one year a friend spent literally all his money on Alexander and Tomlinson, basically had nothing left... Did a lot of his fill ins off waivers, but bought both and it was the year they  both went berserk,  and he won the league. 

I wonder if some of you here would like the type of draft my league does.  We get $100 to draft 10 players.  We have to pick 10 players, no more and no less.  If you have money left over then it's wasted.  No positional requirements for those 10 picks either.  After everyone has their 10 players we take a break and then we snake draft the remaining 6 roster spots on our teams.  The main reason for this is to help speed up the draft and it mixes it up some.

Oh I did a few,  just didn't care for them.  The one year a friend spent literally all his money on Alexander and Tomlinson, basically had nothing left... Did a lot of his fill ins off waivers, but bought both and it was the year they  both went berserk,  and he won the league. 

Wow...That is a LONG time ago.     If you tried that today, you'd get AB, JJ,  and Gurley and a bunch of $1 scrubs at the end.   You'd get absolutely whomped.

But the beauty is that you're allowed to try any strategy.

3 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

I see.  It's almost like people aren't exactly alike and it's okay for them to prefer different things.  Huh.

Just now, Impreza178 said:

Wow...That is a LONG time ago.     If you tried that today, you'd get AB, JJ,  and Gurley and a bunch of $1 scrubs at the end.   You'd get absolutely whomped.

But the beauty is that you're allowed to try any strategy.

I was thinking about trying to get AB and Julio this year.  I've been trying it in some mocks and feel I can end up with a pretty solid team yet.

4 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

that's like saying one year I got struck by lighting so I'm never going outside again LOL

I was thinking about trying to get AB and Julio this year.  I've been trying it in some mocks and feel I can end up with a pretty solid team yet.

Yeah, you have to be really disciplined with not overpaying for your rbs, and take discounts on TE and QB.   But who knows?   You have the freedom to try

and regardless of draft format, your league mates matter...find a good league and stick with it if you can.

Just now, Members_Only_76 said:

and regardless of draft format, your league mates matter...find a good league and stick with it if you can.

Is that a Members Only jacket?  :D

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

Yeah, you have to be really disciplined with not overpaying for your rbs, and take discounts on TE and QB.   But who knows?   You have the freedom to try

No desire to spend much money at all on QB and TE this year.