bonezi89

LaMarcus Aldridge 2016-2017 Outlook

152 posts in this topic

I was pretty bearish on LMA for last season, so much to the point that I actually didn't realise that he turned it up big time for the last couple of months.  The days of him as a fringe 1st rounder are gone and never coming back but I think he's worth a solid look around the 25-35 range.

His post ASB numbers (sorry for the wack spacing):

.892 19.9   8.9 1.6   0.9 1.2 1.3 TO  

If we put his rough start to last season down to growing pains in finding his place in a new system and use the above as a benchmark for 2016-2017 then he provides insane value for those running efficiency builds, counting stats less so.  With Pau in for Timmy I think LMA may take a small hit in rebounds but I don't think Pau will be playing the same role that he had in Chi-Town so the impact won't be too adverse everywhere else.

Edited by bonezi89

13 minutes ago, bonezi89 said:

I was pretty bearish on LMA for last season, so much to the point that I actually didn't realise that he turned it up big time for the last couple of months.  The days of him as a fringe 1st rounder are gone and never coming back but I think he's worth a solid look around the 25-35 range.

His post ASB numbers (sorry for the wack spacing):

.892 19.9   8.9 1.6   0.9 1.2 1.3 TO  

If we put his rough start to last season down to growing pains in finding his place in a new system and use the above as a benchmark for 2016-2017 then he provides insane value for those running efficiency builds, counting stats less so.  With Pau in for Timmy I think LMA may take a small hit in rebounds but I don't think Pau will be playing the same role that he had in Chi-Town so the impact won't be too adverse every

where else.

you can put the slow start down to whatever you want but with the addition of pau, (even with timmy s  departure)

BAD blks, steals, threes, assists  = nothing... ok 1 blk is sumthing... not for pf/c

of course steals up a lilttle in 2nd half

Like you suggested, I will be targeting in the 3rd round in that 25-35 range.  He doesn't steal, doesn't hit 3's and doesn't get assists... ok, yeah, we knew that already.  Not exactly groundbreaking analysis there.  I will gladly take ~20 pts, 9 reb, 1 blk per game on pristine percentages.

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

you can put the slow start down to whatever you want but with the addition of pau, (even with timmy s  departure)

BAD blks, steals, threes, assists  = nothing... ok 1 blk is sumthing... not for pf/c

of course steals up a lilttle in 2nd half

LMA has never really been a plus contributor in any of those categories though. He had some sprinkles of 3s his last season in Portland and has never averaged more than a steal or a couple of assists a season. 

Wow

From Team Stream:

NBA: LaMarcus Aldridge "may not even finish year" with Spurs (via ESPN) - "That experiment hasn't quite worked out"

I don't believe it either. 

How are we feeling about LMA this year? Does Pau hurt him much? Will they both kill each other off throughout the year and make it s headache for owners? 

Ditto on most of these reactions. Don't believe it. Sometimes the rumors have merit.. oftentimes it's a load of malarkey. Right now one random source saying this out of nowhere, I can't give it any merit. Especially given how the Spurs just had the most successful regular season in Spurs history and a T15 regular season record in NBA history.

Edited by s-kayos

Not sure what to think. MacMullen is a long time Boston writer, now with ESPN.

Regardless of whether it is true this is pretty strongly worded.

She isnt just reporting that there is some unhappiness, she is claiming there is something so bad that her local team shouldn't even consider trading for him!?

If she didnt have a good source its pretty bold to just throw out there.

Macmullen was asked if she thinks the Celtics should trade for him if possible.

"No, not after what I heard the other day," said Macmullen laughing.

(I just drafted him too in one league so I hope the whole thing i untrue)

1 hour ago, jsquints said:

(I just drafted him too in one league so I hope the whole thing i untrue)

I drafted him last week and I hope it's true, if he moves virtually anywhere else in the league his offensive usage is going to go up, back to his Portland days of early 2nd round value?

Drafted him last week and would not mind whatsoever seeing him in another jersey, or staying in SA. Either way, the man puts up good stats.

Strange news on LMA. Very bizarre. Honestly, Im not sure we'll every see peak LMA Portland numbers ever again from him. He's looking like a very risky and volatile asset to own this year. He already has woeful trade value based on all of the Pop DNP's and nonsense. This wont do much to help. He's planted on my personal DN draft list and was already before this news broke. Could be good news for Pau if he's moved. 

So if we indulge this rumor, what do we think a trade would do to his value?

The Rotoworld blurb suggests Boston and Phoenix as potential destinations. Usage/minutes go up at both, and DNP-Coach's Decision goes down?

Anywhere else people see him ending up? Sacramento are still looking to ship Gay.

If he gets traded then you guys can only be happy. Don't understand why you wouldn't. Moves to a new team, no random rest days, usage goes up. simple

Don't understand all this talk about LMA.. I thought he clearly prioritized winning over money last season? He could've stayed in Portland for more money if he wanted to and stayed as the alpha on this team, same if he went to Phoenix last summer. Did he really think that he was going to overtake Kawhi as the eventual face of the Spurs?

All this being said, if he gets traded to a better situation fantasy wise I won't complain either. I already have him in one of my leagues (19th pick overall, second round) and I'm hoping he'll have the post ASB value he head last year for the whole year this coming season. 

I don't buy a single thing about this. Zach Lowe, one of the most respected guys in the industry also made the same comment but it doesn't make sense

The article goes on to say Spurs will trade LMA if they want to go on a full rebuild mode. If this is true then

- why did they sign Pau who is on the last stage of his career to make another title run?

- when was the last time the Spurs went on a full rebuild mode? That was pre-Duncan/Pop era. How many times have you heard that they are old, they will rebuild etc. but it has never happened.

- I don't see the Spurs as an organization who will just go on a full rebuild and trade their assets. Not everyone wants to be the 76ers.

LMA experiment didn't work out? It's easy to forget the the Spurs won a franchise best 67 games last year! They lost in the Semis, but the LMA experiment didn't work out? Isn't that an obvious exaggeration?

IMO, this is pure crap

4 people like this

28 minutes ago, sya said:

I don't buy a single thing about this. Zach Lowe, one of the most respected guys in the industry also made the same comment but it doesn't make sense

The article goes on to say Spurs will trade LMA if they want to go on a full rebuild mode. If this is true then

- why did they sign Pau who is on the last stage of his career to make another title run?

- when was the last time the Spurs went on a full rebuild mode? That was pre-Duncan/Pop era. How many times have you heard that they are old, they will rebuild etc. but it has never happened.

- I don't see the Spurs as an organization who will just go on a full rebuild and trade their assets. Not everyone wants to be the 76ers.

LMA experiment didn't work out? It's easy to forget the the Spurs won a franchise best 67 games last year! They lost in the Semis, but the LMA experiment didn't work out? Isn't that an obvious exaggeration?

IMO, this is pure crap

What he said. It's a load of bologna.

LaMarcus Aldridge squashes trade rumors, says he's happy with Spurs - "We made history last year. I'm winning"

He could've just said "no comment on the rumors". I think he's happy where he's at. Like I said they put together one of the best regular seasons in history, and probably the best regular season in Spurs history. I don't think he's going anywhere. 

http://www.kens5.com/sports/nba/spurs/aldridge-im-winning-of-course-im-happy-with-the-spurs/339307812

Edited by s-kayos

Picked him at 29 in 9-cat roto. Not concerned with these rumors at all. He will get his. I just hope he wont get frustrated down low with pau's defense...

picked him 3rd as my 34th pick in a 12 man league (i was 10th pick)

hoping he's worth the while. I've literally picked him like 5 years in a row. Last year I promised I would never do it again but I think I got him 2nd last year or maybe early 3rd