fletch44

Francisco Mejia - C CLE

9 posts in this topic

50 game hit streak from a catcher ? I'm listening. Currently slashing a .345-.378-.519 in A and A+ this year. Was ranked Baseball Prospectus's #84 prospect last year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/scorer-changes-call-mejias-hit-streak-reaches-50/#XeAt2KfJE4zI3g3I.97

Edited by fletch44

Bat seems to be for real.  

But everything I've seen out of people who are much smarter than me- say he's a well below average catcher, in all aspects.  Not really sure where else he profiles to play in the field, but those dreaming of the next big catching prospect should be prepared for a position switch at some point.

1 person likes this

He's got the arm. It's about refinement of the other actions. I don't think they'll rush him and they'll give him every shot.

parks was huge on him a few years ago

Your absolutely right, dude does have a rocket for an arm.  Was referring to the rest of it as you said.  I worry a lot defensively about catchers who are arm only.

The 2nd best catching prospect in fantasy baseball deserves a thread! I prefer Zack Collins on the off-chance he can stay at catcher but the switch-hitting Mejia is a fine prospect in his own right! He's not elite defensively but he has a higher chance at sticking behind the plate and will likely have the higher batting average of the two (lower OBP though). He's actually a year younger than Collins but they're about the same rate away from the majors. That's late-2018, probably 2019 for fantasy relevancy. But elite catching prospects don't come around too often and Mejia appears very exciting.

1 person likes this

I totally agree he deserves his own thread, but he already had one:

forums.rotoworld.com/topic/601759-francisco-mejia-c-cle/

:lol:

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Dark One said:

I totally agree he deserves his own thread, but he already had one:

forums.rotoworld.com/topic/601759-francisco-mejia-c-cle/

:lol:

I swear the search was broken last night. Sorry and thank you mods for getting this in the correct place

1 person likes this

Mejia is my #1 catcher.. He's very likely to stick at catcher and that's why he's my #1. In a dynasty league, if you have a guy like Zach Collins you almost have to have another catcher behind him to ensure you are covered (deep leagues).. IMO - in dynasty leagues you have to figure out a way to weigh that into valuing your guys.. although I have no problem with anyone putting Zach Collins ahead of Mejia.. Collins' bat and plate approach are legit and he certainly has top 3 catcher upside if he does stick at the position. If I knew 100% that Collins was destined to be a catcher, I'd honestly take him above Mejia due to the power he could provide.. Can't go wrong with either guy.. Mejia profiles as a guy that can hit .300+, 15-20HRs a year.. would like to see his walk rate improve a bit, but he's still young so he's got time. 

1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

Mejia is my #1 catcher.. He's very likely to stick at catcher and that's why he's my #1. In a dynasty league, if you have a guy like Zach Collins you almost have to have another catcher behind him to ensure you are covered (deep leagues).. IMO - in dynasty leagues you have to figure out a way to weigh that into valuing your guys.. although I have no problem with anyone putting Zach Collins ahead of Mejia.. Collins' bat and plate approach are legit and he certainly has top 3 catcher upside if he does stick at the position. If I knew 100% that Collins was destined to be a catcher, I'd honestly take him above Mejia due to the power he could provide.. Can't go wrong with either guy.. Mejia profiles as a guy that can hit .300+, 15-20HRs a year.. would like to see his walk rate improve a bit, but he's still young so he's got time. 

I don't know much about Mejia, but I love Collins bat enough I might rank him ahead of Mejia even if I knew for a fact Collins wasn't going to catch a single MLB game

1 person likes this