fletch44

Francisco Mejia - C CLE

Recommended Posts

Of course not.  Doesn't negate his production this year at AA.  Having a monster season thus far, and showing improved power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now leading the Eastern league in pretty much every hitting category. Hitting .500 against lefties. Hard to believe he won't at least be up for September as a pinch hitter against lefties / dh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up to .375 / .417 / .631 slash line.  26 strikeouts and 15 walks in 44 games.  

 

Meanwhile the Indians Major League Catchers are hitting .202 on the season.  Hopefully Mejia's game calling catches up quick, because who knows how many runs they are leaving on the table running with Yan Gomes and Roberto Perez.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GJDHouse said:

Up to .375 / .417 / .631 slash line.  26 strikeouts and 15 walks in 44 games.  

 

Meanwhile the Indians Major League Catchers are hitting .202 on the season.  Hopefully Mejia's game calling catches up quick, because who knows how many runs they are leaving on the table running with Yan Gomes and Roberto Perez.

 

This guy is not getting as much love as he should be. The hit tool Mejia has for catcher is absolutely ridiculous. I think the power is going to keep coming and we are looking at a .300+ average with 25 homers and 10 or so steals. 

 

Dynasty wise I would already consider him right after Sanchez. I think Sanchez big time power is the difference for fantasy. But Mejia is going to be FOR REAL. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, exzacly909 said:

 

This guy is not getting as much love as he should be. The hit tool Mejia has for catcher is absolutely ridiculous. I think the power is going to keep coming and we are looking at a .300+ average with 25 homers and 10 or so steals. 

 

Dynasty wise I would already consider him right after Sanchez. I think Sanchez big time power is the difference for fantasy. But Mejia is going to be FOR REAL. 

 

Agree 100%, Mejia is probably the best pure hitter in all of minor leagues and should be a top 15 prospect on any list out there.. two 70 grade tools (hitting/arm) is absurd. 

 

Here's some ridiculous stat lines..

 

Vs LHP: 

.524/.563/.905 

 

In June:

.480/.533/.920 

 

Time for a promotion! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JenksDodger said:

 

Agree 100%, Mejia is probably the best pure hitter in all of minor leagues and should be a top 15 prospect on any list out there.. two 70 grade tools (hitting/arm) is absurd. 

 

Here's some ridiculous stat lines..

 

Vs LHP: 

.524/.563/.905 

 

In June:

.480/.533/.920 

 

Time for a promotion! 

 

Sign me up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad some other people are jumping on the train. Hand eye coordination of this young player is incredible. To be honest his left handed swing looks pretty goofy but his swing from the right side is pure butter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only hitting .220 in July, so unfortunately I doubt we'll see him in the Majors this season, especially since Cleveland still hasn't promoted him to AAA.  Obviously what he has done since the All-Star break doesn't help, but at almost 22 the promotion should happen soon regardless.

 

I already have Sanchez in my keeper league, so I'm not rushing out to pick him up, but if he was about to come up to the Majors, it would give me some interesting options.

Edited by KilloWertz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No real talk about him like some other prospects lately except that he thankfully wasn't traded.  I still find it strange that he has never been promoted to AAA.  He had a horrible July, but otherwise he's been great (and has bounced back in August).  Are the Indians just going to bring him up straight from AA when they are ready to or something?  He's 21, so it's not like a promotion to even AAA is rushing him.

 

While everyone is (rightfully) drooling over Acuna, I have been following Mejia more because of him being a catcher.  I probably would have went to a game this weekend since I'm out of town in Columbus right now, but he's still stuck in AA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really don't like this third base experiment they're doing. He's their catcher of the future, just let him develop there. Would be pissed to stash him in my dynasty to fill my catcher abyss and he ends up playing at third.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, elrey said:

Really don't like this third base experiment they're doing. He's their catcher of the future, just let him develop there. Would be pissed to stash him in my dynasty to fill my catcher abyss and he ends up playing at third.

Was thinking the same thing. I understand they want him to be versatile but - if it's not broken don't fix it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I trust the Indians know what they are doing. They aren't just randomly putting him at third for no reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Mejia owner, I'm not too terribly upset about him playing 3B in the fall. There hasn't been much indication that he can't handle catcher, so I doubt he is moving off catcher full-time. If mixing in some 3B games lowers his wear-and-tear and gives him a few more games in the starting lineup or allows him to stick to catching at least part-time further into the future, I'm on board.

Edited by jorp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Is he the 2018 Indians starting catcher?

I would say out of spring training, no. While he arguably has the most talent of any catcher in the Indians organization, they will likely want to keep Mejia in the minors and give him some more reps at AAA. I do think there's a good chance that Mejia is up in the Majors in 2018, perhaps filling in for an injury or down the stretch again to help the playoff push. As a smaller market team, Cleaveland needs to maximize its financial benefits and controllable years on a talent like Mejia which is why I don't think he's on the big club right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2018 at 4:23 PM, garlando said:

I would say out of spring training, no. While he arguably has the most talent of any catcher in the Indians organization, they will likely want to keep Mejia in the minors and give him some more reps at AAA. I do think there's a good chance that Mejia is up in the Majors in 2018, perhaps filling in for an injury or down the stretch again to help the playoff push. As a smaller market team, Cleaveland needs to maximize its financial benefits and controllable years on a talent like Mejia which is why I don't think he's on the big club right away.

 

Well he already appeared in 11 major league games last year.  I don't see them keeping him down on the farm that long this year to be just a mere September call-up again.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

 

Well he already appeared in 11 major league games last year.  I don't see them keeping him down on the farm that long this year to be just a mere September call-up again.

 

Do you see him starting out of ST, early season call-up, or mid-season? What aspects of his game still need refinement? Seemed like defense wasn't really an issue, of course catchers always can improve. His hitting wasn't great when called up but at this point whats left to prove in the minors? I think he needs to just prove what he can do and they need to give him a shot.

Edited by Dark Kn19ht

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

most overhyped prospect at the moment. Not entirely clear he'll stick at catcher, pretty good hit tool, but he isn't a big guy and the power may be underwhelming. 

I think in a few years folks will be asking themselves "why were we so hyped on this guy?"      

but I've been wrong before

here's a bold prediction: Alex Jackson becomes a higher-end fantasy catcher than Mejia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

most overhyped prospect at the moment. Not entirely clear he'll stick at catcher, pretty good hit tool, but he isn't a big guy and the power may be underwhelming. 

I think in a few years folks will be asking themselves "why were we so hyped on this guy?"      

but I've been wrong before

here's a bold prediction: Alex Jackson becomes a higher-end fantasy catcher than Mejia. 

 

If he can hit 300 and only add 15 homers, that's probably a top 5 catcher. Bar is so low. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long will Jackson take to learn the new position though? I agree that Mejia might be overhyped, but I agree with brock that the bar is so low that even a mediocre player is great as a catcher. Regardless Mejia is the best C prospect thats closest to the show this season and knowing when he is expected up will be important.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎-‎1‎-‎2018 at 5:43 PM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

most overhyped prospect at the moment. Not entirely clear he'll stick at catcher, pretty good hit tool, but he isn't a big guy and the power may be underwhelming. 

I think in a few years folks will be asking themselves "why were we so hyped on this guy?"      

but I've been wrong before

here's a bold prediction: Alex Jackson becomes a higher-end fantasy catcher than Mejia. 

 

 Welcome to the juiced ball era. It seems everyone can hit for power nowadays. Even Trea Turner and Jesse Winker started hitting for power once they hit the big leagues. Lindor hit 33 HR last season. I'm not implying that Mejia is going to be a big power guy but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he starts hitting bombs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean he hit 14 homeruns in the Eastern League last year at 21, in less than 350 Abs.  That isnt too shabby, and he passes the eye test.  He has always had a really impressive bat speed with decent power potential.  He could hit 15-25 homeruns while hitting for average.  Relative to the rest of the catchers, that is pretty impressive.  I think describing him as just having a pretty good hit tool is undervaluing him a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.