fletch44

Francisco Mejia - C CLE

Recommended Posts

50 game hit streak from a catcher ? I'm listening. Currently slashing a .345-.378-.519 in A and A+ this year. Was ranked Baseball Prospectus's #84 prospect last year.

 

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/scorer-changes-call-mejias-hit-streak-reaches-50/#XeAt2KfJE4zI3g3I.97

Edited by fletch44

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bat seems to be for real.  

But everything I've seen out of people who are much smarter than me- say he's a well below average catcher, in all aspects.  Not really sure where else he profiles to play in the field, but those dreaming of the next big catching prospect should be prepared for a position switch at some point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's got the arm. It's about refinement of the other actions. I don't think they'll rush him and they'll give him every shot.

 

parks was huge on him a few years ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2nd best catching prospect in fantasy baseball deserves a thread! I prefer Zack Collins on the off-chance he can stay at catcher but the switch-hitting Mejia is a fine prospect in his own right! He's not elite defensively but he has a higher chance at sticking behind the plate and will likely have the higher batting average of the two (lower OBP though). He's actually a year younger than Collins but they're about the same rate away from the majors. That's late-2018, probably 2019 for fantasy relevancy. But elite catching prospects don't come around too often and Mejia appears very exciting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally agree he deserves his own thread, but he already had one:

 

forums.rotoworld.com/topic/601759-francisco-mejia-c-cle/

 

:lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dark One said:

I totally agree he deserves his own thread, but he already had one:

 

forums.rotoworld.com/topic/601759-francisco-mejia-c-cle/

 

:lol:

I swear the search was broken last night. Sorry and thank you mods for getting this in the correct place

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mejia is my #1 catcher.. He's very likely to stick at catcher and that's why he's my #1. In a dynasty league, if you have a guy like Zach Collins you almost have to have another catcher behind him to ensure you are covered (deep leagues).. IMO - in dynasty leagues you have to figure out a way to weigh that into valuing your guys.. although I have no problem with anyone putting Zach Collins ahead of Mejia.. Collins' bat and plate approach are legit and he certainly has top 3 catcher upside if he does stick at the position. If I knew 100% that Collins was destined to be a catcher, I'd honestly take him above Mejia due to the power he could provide.. Can't go wrong with either guy.. Mejia profiles as a guy that can hit .300+, 15-20HRs a year.. would like to see his walk rate improve a bit, but he's still young so he's got time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

Mejia is my #1 catcher.. He's very likely to stick at catcher and that's why he's my #1. In a dynasty league, if you have a guy like Zach Collins you almost have to have another catcher behind him to ensure you are covered (deep leagues).. IMO - in dynasty leagues you have to figure out a way to weigh that into valuing your guys.. although I have no problem with anyone putting Zach Collins ahead of Mejia.. Collins' bat and plate approach are legit and he certainly has top 3 catcher upside if he does stick at the position. If I knew 100% that Collins was destined to be a catcher, I'd honestly take him above Mejia due to the power he could provide.. Can't go wrong with either guy.. Mejia profiles as a guy that can hit .300+, 15-20HRs a year.. would like to see his walk rate improve a bit, but he's still young so he's got time. 

I don't know much about Mejia, but I love Collins bat enough I might rank him ahead of Mejia even if I knew for a fact Collins wasn't going to catch a single MLB game

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2-3 with 2 doubles last night. 

 

Perez and Gomes are pretty much trash, if his defensive work is up to snuff, I think he could easily be up before Sept. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mcbane said:

2-3 with 2 doubles last night. 

 

Perez and Gomes are pretty much trash, if his defensive work is up to snuff, I think he could easily be up before Sept. 

 

He has far too much to work on defensively to be up this year. Lots of defensive tools, but there is still a huge amount for him to learn in the minors. Despite his canon for an arm, his pop times are just OK because of his footwork. His receiving needs to improve drastically and then there's the handling of a staff which he has very little experience with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picking up where he left off last year - opens the season with a six game hit streak.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's beginning to look like Mejia is not just the best hitting catcher in the minors, but one of the best hitters, period. Having that kind of weapon, in a wasteland that is catcher, is invaluable.. .356/.411/.511 through 12 games, obviously those are going to come down some, but he's also riding a 12-game hit streak right now as well.. He's going to keep rising up lists throughout the year.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back with a vengeance.. HRs in back to back games (just came back from the DL yesterday).. I think he's easily a top 25 fantasy prospect.. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had him on my watch list for a bit.  Hoping for a cup of coffee in September this year if he continues to hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two more home runs in todays game... 

 

Batting .346 with 7HR... wow... I've seen a few lists that have this guy outside the top 50.... HOW?! 

 

He's a top 25 prospect and there's not even much of an argument to be had.. Potential .300 hitter with a 70 grade arm.. if the power develops.. man oh man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stay hot and he will get to AAA pretty soon. Could also see a scenario where he makes the September roster as a 3rd catcher and pinch hitter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last 4 games:

 

4-5 1bb 2 hr 6 rbi 3 runs

2-5 2 hr 3 rbi 2 runs

2-4 1 2b

2-4 1 2b 1sb 1 rbi 1 run

 

en fuego. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Add another 4-5 game with a home run to the list. 

 

That is 14-23 with 5 home runs, 3 doubles, 7 runs, 10 rbi, 1 sb in his last 5 games.  Now hitting .369 on the season.  

 

162 game pace of :

 

106 runs

106 rbis

34 home runs

.369 average

89 strikeouts

55 walks

13 steals

 

Oh, and he is a catcher.  I called Rafael Devers last year, and this is the new big mover.  Going to get a cup of coffee in September and open up next year as a top 10 prospect across the board.  Kid can square the ball.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GJDHouse said:

Add another 4-5 game with a home run to the list. 

 

That is 14-23 with 5 home runs, 3 doubles, 7 runs, 10 rbi, 1 sb in his last 5 games.  Now hitting .369 on the season.  

 

162 game pace of :

 

106 runs

106 rbis

34 home runs

.369 average

89 strikeouts

55 walks

13 steals

 

Oh, and he is a catcher.  I called Rafael Devers last year, and this is the new big mover.  Going to get a cup of coffee in September and open up next year as a top 10 prospect across the board.  Kid can square the ball.

 

 

Can't take MiLB numbers and pace em to MLB. Also, there's no catcher playing 162 games. I've picked him up and will hold till next season, but we can't look at numbers like this. It's very misleading.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.