fletch44

Francisco Mejia - C CLE

17 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Lets get this thread updated, headed to SD. Does he get promoted right away? They keep him at C?

They may as well give him the PT and see what kind of defense hes got at C...Seems like they are set for future at OF... Myers, Franchy, margot, pirela, reyes, etc

15 minutes ago, tekashi26ix said:

According to Dennis Lin (Padres Reporter for The Athletic) Mejia is staying at Catcher

I don't buy this long term. Hedges is a much better defensive catcher than Mejia and while obviously the offense hasn't really been there for Hedges, he still has plenty of time. Maybe Mejia is being used to light a fire under Hedges but to me this seems more like the Padres consistent stock piling of prospects even if they have no actual long term plans (see Josh Naylor). If i'm the Padres, i'd push him to play 3B even though that experiment didn't go well with the Indians. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, thewallsaround said:

I don't buy this long term. Hedges is a much better defensive catcher than Mejia and while obviously the offense hasn't really been there for Hedges, he still has plenty of time. Maybe Mejia is being used to light a fire under Hedges but to me this seems more like the Padres consistent stock piling of prospects even if they have no actual long term plans (see Josh Naylor). If i'm the Padres, i'd push him to play 3B even though that experiment didn't go well with the Indians. 

I have heard for years, how Hedges is elite defensively, but the numbers say otherwise, he was 15th in dWAR last year, and hes pergame rated this year around the same.  Factor in he can't hit for crap, Mejia is the future if they think he can catch.  Otherwise Allen is closing in

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

I have heard for years, how Hedges is elite defensively, but the numbers say otherwise, he was 15th in dWAR last year, and hes pergame rated this year around the same.  Factor in he can't hit for crap, Mejia is the future if they think he can catch.  Otherwise Allen is closing in

What does your eye tell you watching Hedges?

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

What does your eye tell you watching Hedges?

I have probably suffered threw about 50 Padre games this year, and my eye tells me he does his job.  It also tells me without even looking at the lineup, that I can't tell whether Hedges or Ellis is actually catching

When we were sold his defense we were told elite, generational defensive catcher, and as bad as he hits, that needs to be damn near Pudge

hes useless imo

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Like 2

Glad to see this guy go to an org. that won't mess with him. I don't know if he will be a C forever but why not give him a chance to produce?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

I have probably suffered threw about 50 Padre games this year, and my eye tells me he does his job.  It also tells me without even looking at the lineup, that I can't tell whether Hedges or Ellis is actually catching

When we were sold his defense we were told elite, generational defensive catcher, and as bad as he hits, that needs to be damn near Pudge

hes useless imo

Ellis is also an elite defender; there is a reason he was Kershaw's personal catcher for years and that he is still sticking around organizations despite his awful bat. Additionally, dWAR doesn't include many catching specific defensive abilities such as framing because those are so difficult to measure to begin with. Add in all this with the fact that Hedges has been hitting better since he's come back from injury. 

I'm not saying Hedges is the future but I think people hyping up this move for Mejia are mistaken. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Mejia moved again back to an AL team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thewallsaround said:

Ellis is also an elite defender; there is a reason he was Kershaw's personal catcher for years and that he is still sticking around organizations despite his awful bat. Additionally, dWAR doesn't include many catching specific defensive abilities such as framing because those are so difficult to measure to begin with. Add in all this with the fact that Hedges has been hitting better since he's come back from injury. 

I'm not saying Hedges is the future but I think people hyping up this move for Mejia are mistaken. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Mejia moved again back to an AL team.

I know there is more to it, the point is Hedges isn't even as good as 35 year old journeyman Ellis (who can at least mix in a hit)

Also Hedges ranks 12th this year in pitch framing.  Another factor I have is when you play in the AL you can absorb a no bat position player like Hedges, but in the NL you just can't no way can a team with Hedges 8th and P 9th put up a decent amount of consistent runs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

I know there is more to it, the point is Hedges isn't even as good as 35 year old journeyman Ellis (who can at least mix in a hit)

Also Hedges ranks 12th this year in pitch framing.  Another factor I have is when you play in the AL you can absorb a no bat position player like Hedges, but in the NL you just can't no way can a team with Hedges 8th and P 9th put up a decent amount of consistent runs

I personally haven't completely written off Hedges... yet.   

I would like to see the reported gold glove caliber D show up through.

And I hate his habit of occasionally dropping the glove/target as the pitcher goes into his windup.  The homer Strahm gave up a few weeks ago happened on a pitch where Hedges didn't present a target.  Tough to throw to the glove when the glove isn't there...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

I personally haven't completely written off Hedges... yet.   

I would like to see the reported gold glove caliber D show up through.

And I hate his habit of occasionally dropping the glove/target as the pitcher goes into his windup.  The homer Strahm gave up a few weeks ago happened on a pitch where Hedges didn't present a target.  Tough to throw to the glove when the glove isn't there...

fwiw, as a long time Padre fan I am tired of guys not being able to hit, I wrote off Hedges before he even got to the bigs

• Haha 1

Don't look now, but Mejia is absolutely stroking it in the PCL.  

.322 AVG

.359 OBP

.576 SLG

7 homers

7 doubles

1 triple

30 games

He has to get a September cup of coffee right?  His service time was started last year, so there is almost no reason to not bring him up and see what he can do the last month...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GJDHouse said:

Don't look now, but Mejia is absolutely stroking it in the PCL.  

.322 AVG

.359 OBP

.576 SLG

7 homers

7 doubles

1 triple

30 games

He has to get a September cup of coffee right?  His service time was started last year, so there is almost no reason to not bring him up and see what he can do the last month...

At this point, I believe you are right that there is no reason not to call him up.  I'm not sure if the team is doing really good and he's needed for the playoffs, but if not, then I'm actually not sure why they haven't called him up already.

He'll probably split time with Hedges, but it'd still be nice to see what he can do with even semi-regular playing time in the majors.  Obviously the Indians basically never used him.