Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron-cock

2016 Team Defense /ST and Kicker Thread

Here's my top 12 off the top of my head quick.

Gostkowski

Boswell

Tucker

Catanzaro

Gano

Bailey

Crosby

Santos

Walsh

Gould

Hauschka

Vinatieri

A look at the top 10 kickers from last season.  After their name, I've listed the rank of the offense they played for by points per game.

1. Gost-3rd
2. Gano-1st 
3. Walsh-16th (dome)
4. Gould-23rd 
5. Brown-6th 
6. Santos-9th 
7. Hauschka-4th (dome)
8. Tucker-25th 
9. Catanzaro-2nd (retractable roof)
10 McManus-19th

Observations:

6 of the top 10 played for top 10 offenses.

All of the top 10 kickers played with starting quarterbacks that were selected in the first round except Gost (Brady) and Hauschka (Wilson).

Only 3 played for dome/ret roof teams.

The Saints played the most indoor games in 2015 at 12/16, the Rams and Falcons second with 10/16.  None had a kicker in the top 10.

14 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

A look at the top 10 kickers from last season.  After their name, I've listed the rank of the offense they played for by points per game.

1. Gost-3rd
2. Gano-1st 
3. Walsh-16th (dome)
4. Gould-23rd 
5. Brown-6th 
6. Santos-9th 
7. Hauschka-4th (dome)
8. Tucker-25th 
10 McManus-19th

Observations:

All of the top 10 kickers played with starting quarterbacks that were selected in the first round except Gost (Brady) and Hauschka (Wilson).

The Saints played the most indoor games in 2015 at 12/16, the Rams and Falcons second with 10/16.  None had a kicker in the top 10.

Saints used multiple kickers last year.   I expect them to only use one this year.   

I expect Bailey to move back into the top 10 with healthy Romo plus Zeke.

I actually included Zuerlein in my top 12 as I expect their offense to take a small step forward.

Tucker or Gould feel like the guys that could drop out of the top 10.  McManus too but being at elevation really helps him.   Haven't looked at it but I think his opps dropped quite a bit when Brock tool over. 

27 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

1. Gost-3rd
2. Gano-1st 
3. Walsh-16th (dome)
4. Gould-23rd 
5. Brown-6th 
6. Santos-9th 
7. Hauschka-4th (dome)
8. Tucker-25th 
10 McManus-19th

Observations:

Hauschka doesn't play in a dome

Janikowski is my "sleeper" pick (I put it in parentheses because kickers should all be drafted in the final round except maybe Gostkowski so there can't be a true sleeper at the position).

He's always had a big leg but suffered because of Oakland being terrible. This year I think the Raiders will actually be pretty good, and they fit the mold in my mind of a team that will chew up yardage but might struggle in the redzone on account of Murray's shortcomings as a RB. Of course, Murray is still a physical specimen and they have a great OL so maybe they will be efficient in the RZ.

Should be in good weather most of the year

8 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

Hauschka doesn't play in a dome

Damn, what happened to the kingdome???? j/k.  For some reason I thought "Loud" which led me to think "Dome"

Don't sleep on Boswell either...finished 2nd on that list in PPG and his per 16 games number was just three total points behind Gostkowski

Yea was coming in to mention Boswell,  beat me to it 

10 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Breathtakingly meaningless.

You already know what I said to you dude.  They matter. :P

17n9g5.jpg

13 minutes ago, petekrum said:

1 hour ago, Iron-cock said:

Damn, what happened to the kingdome???? j/k.  For some reason I thought "Loud" which led me to think "Dome"

+1 for mentioning the Kingdome.

1 hour ago, petekrum said:

If I didn't know better I'd say you were new to fantasy.

Unless (until) your league gets rid of them, they are very meaningful. Countless matchups have been decided by kickers.

1 hour ago, mysonx3 said:

Don't sleep on Boswell either...finished 2nd on that list in PPG and his per 16 games number was just three total points behind Gostkowski

But PIT is likely going to go for 2 after TDs more this year as long as Big Ben stays healthy...that hurts Boswell. 

Also, Blair Walsh didn't kick in a dome last year...he will this year. 

52 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

If I didn't know better I'd say you were new to fantasy.

Unless (until) your league gets rid of them, they are very meaningful. Countless matchups have been decided by kickers.

Ive probably been playing longer than you've been alive. When they're not everyone's last pick they'll be meaningful. When one kicker gives you a noticeable advantage over another, they'll be meaningful. 

2 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Ive probably been playing longer than you've been alive. When they're not everyone's last pick they'll be meaningful. When one kicker gives you a noticeable advantage over another, they'll be meaningful. 

Have you not been paying attention to Gostkowski the last 4 years?

1 minute ago, joshua18 said:

Have you not been paying attention to Gostkowski the last 4 years?

The exception to the rule. He absolutely deserves to be the first kicker chosen,....in the last round.

3 minutes ago, petekrum said:

The exception to the rule. He absolutely deserves to be the first kicker chosen,....in the last round.

Nope...because he provides a consistent durable advantage at his position, he deserves to be taken much earlier than the last round. As you said, he is the exception and needs to be treated as such in drafts. Far more valuable than a 7th RB, 7th WR, 3rd TE or 2nd defense (actually more valuable than a 1st defense). 

22 minutes ago, petekrum said:

I don't give a darn how long you've been playing, making a statement like "11% of my lineup is meaningless" shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how the game works.

Last season in yahoo standard scoring leagues:

The difference between QB 1 and QB 10 was 98 points.

The difference between tight end 1 and tight end 10 was about 88 points.

The difference between DEF1 and DEF10 was 41 points.

The difference between kicker 1 and kicker 10 was 31 points.

It's not JUST a home dome that helps, but it's also cold-weather vs warm-weather games.  Kicking in Miami is nice, but when you play divisional games in the northeast (Jets, Pats, Bills) after November, that's not good either.  Hauschka may not have a dome, but his divisional games are all in domes or warm weather.

51 minutes ago, petekrum said:

Yes, agree....to a point.   But it really depends on the makeup of the league.    The Johnny-come-latelies mock draft until about round 8 then they BAIL.   These guys have no idea what they're doing later.   You have to actually take the time to research the flyers and steals available later- so it's not the worst thing to take a stud K and D earlier and then STILL get the sleepers you would have drafted anyway.... 

1 hour ago, mysonx3 said:

I don't give a darn how long you've been playing, making a statement like "11% of my lineup is meaningless" shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how the game works.

You know, you can make Coaches and Punters score points on fantasy. Doesn't mean you should have them in your league.

Gano

Hauschka 

Gostkowski 

Bailey

Walsh 

Boswell

Santos

Barth 

GB dude

Prater

McManus 

My "weird" one would be Zuerlein.