Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron-cock

2016 Team Defense /ST and Kicker Thread

13 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

For kickers it's Gostkowski, then they're all the same. So TEs have two or three more guys that are difference makers and then they're all the same.  I really don't think there is ever a clear cut difference making defense.

You keep on thinking about the positions as skill sets and what they mean to football.  I'm strictly talking about what they bring to fantasy football and being difference makers for your fantasy team.  TEs, kickers and defenses are all very similar and I think they should all be picked at the end of the draft.  I don't see a guy like Gary Barnidge being a huge difference maker for a team yet he's going in front of WRs and RBs that have more upside if they are just given the chance.

One of these years I think it's going to catch on and TEs will start dropping in drafts just like it happened to QBs.  Right now people draft them earlier just because they freak out and think they need to have a starting TE before the top 10 are gone.  In reality there isn't a huge difference between that 8th TE and the 14th TE.  Unless you're taking one of the top 3 TEs in the first few rounds then I see no reason to take one until the last 4 rounds.

Not true. Gostkowski is part of that cluster of kickers that are all within a few points of eachother. He's just consistently at the top of the cluster.

With TE, you have a few good ones AND THEN the cluster. The top ones aren't part of the cluster like Gostkowski.

2 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

Not true. Gostkowski is part of that cluster of kickers that are all within a few points of eachother. He's just consistently at the top of the cluster.

With TE, you have a few good ones AND THEN the cluster. The top ones aren't part of the cluster like Gostkowski.

sox, u are en fuego today.   Another gem.

K's and TE's are apples/oranges

I guess TEs just don't get me excited.  I don't feel they are worth a top 4 round pick and if I don't have one of the top guys I just don't really care about who I get.  I just assume stream them.  I prefer to combine the WR/TE position instead of being forced to start one.

Thinking about combining them makes me think of combining kickers with DST.  Is the kicking team similar to special teams?  Would it make any sense to just combine them?  This way you get the team's total kicking stats regardless of who the kicker is that season.

Um..... the Kicking team is a part of Special Teams. :blink:

I do admit I love elite TEs,  because they are game changers In a lineup.  But I agree after the top 3, the true elite TEs,  it's sort of a crap shoot.  But I've always gunned for gates over the years when he was a round 4 pick,  then been drafting gronk since 2010.  Always had Tony G, Jimmy etc... I wish more teams utilized TEs 

Personally to me there is Gronk, like Gostkowski and then there is everyone else.  

After Gronk is off the board I'm waiting because I don't trust even the other so called top TEs to perform to their ADPs.

They're all a crap shoot.  

Just now, theSPANKER said:

Personally to me there is Gronk, like Gostkowski and then there is everyone else.  

After Gronk is off the board I'm waiting because I don't trust even the other so called top TEs to perform to their ADPs.

They're all a crap shoot.  

Yea,  I'm referring to when graham was rocking,  Tony G,  and even Gates recently... That was some TE points to be had there. 

Right now,  it's gronk and reed imho.   Kelce just can't seem to get there,  Graham until shown otherwise is not getting it done,  barnyard I think was a one season wonder... 

I hope more sprout up.  Reed could be that next guy if he stays healthy 

Just now, Savatage79 said:

Yea,  I'm referring to when graham was rocking,  Tony G,  and even Gates recently... That was some TE points to be had there. 

Right now,  it's gronk and reed imho.   Kelce just can't seem to get there,  Graham until shown otherwise is not getting it done,  barnyard I think was a one season wonder... 

I hope more sprout up.  Reed could be that next guy if he stays healthy 

Oh it's not just those two

Olsen

Walker

Fleener

Eifert

Kelce

Nice cheaper middle round options with upside

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

Olsen

Walker

Fleener

Eifert

Kelce

Just like Gostkoski, Gronk is the only one who is consistent every year.  Each year a TE or two come close to Gronk but it's never the same one's each year.  Just like with kickers.

Fleener hasn't proved anything.  Eifert will most like regress because he is so dependent on TDs.  Walker has a good chance with Mariota.  Kelce is good but not a guy that you must have.  They are just all similar to me.

2 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Olsen

Walker

Fleener

Eifert

Kelce

I don't trust Reed.  No way am I taking that guy in the 4th round.  He can't stay healthy and just got paid.  I don't expect Walker to get as many targets this year with Tenn trying to pound the rock.  Olsen has Benjamin back and Funchess who will only get better to compete for targets along with Cam "Superman" hogging all the GL TDs.  Eifert could be playing with the backup QB if Bradford disappoints.  Kelce just doesn't get fed the rock despite all the beastliness potential he has (might be good value this year though).  

I do like Fleener but so do a lot of other people and I see folks reaching on him destroying any value he may have.

Again to me it's Gronk-meister, then everyone else.    

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Fleener hasn't proved anything.  Eifert will most like regress because he is so dependent on TDs.  Walker has a good chance with Mariota.  Kelce is good but not a guy that you must have.  They are just all similar to me.

Eifert is in a great situation, again, #2 behind Green for targets. Unfortunately his regression will come, but not because he's TD dependent, but because he's made of glass. Without injury, and with the Patriots running a two TE offense more this year, and with Brady's suspension, Eiffert might've edged damn close to Gronk.

4 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

If you guessed completely at random you'd get 4.5 of the top 12 on average

Wow, so I did almost double the chance rate?

So much for Kickers being a crapshoot.

2 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

Wow, so I did almost double the chance rate?

So much for Kickers being a crapshoot.

Seven is not almost nine in the context of picking 12. I guarantee several of the "off the top of my head" lists beat or match yours.

1 minute ago, mysonx3 said:

Seven is not almost nine in the context of picking 12. I guarantee several of the "off the top of my head" lists beat or match yours.

Nine?

If you round down 4.5, it's 4.  If you round up 3.5, it's 4.  4 is half of 8.

2 minutes ago, Axe Elf said:

Nine?

You don't round down 4.5. It rounds up or not at all.

1 hour ago, Axe Elf said:

Nine?

Do you round everything towards your favor?  Your world sounds nice. 

5 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Do you round everything towards your favor?  Your world sounds nice. 

Everything usually rounds itself in my favor.

My world rocks, if you're Axe Elf.

Dan Bailey anyone? .... Anyone?

8 hours ago, Axe Elf said:

Everything usually rounds itself in my favor.

My world rocks, if you're Axe Elf.

You're not Axe Elf anymore.  You're Jimmy.

7 hours ago, ponza88 said:

Dan Bailey anyone? .... Anyone?

He's a kicker.  Yes.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

He's a kicker.  Yes.

Yes, thank you. 

I might try to draft Andre Kristacovitchlalinski Jr. in round 5ish

Vintage 2012 Legatron. 3 pages on kickers (and TEs) and its mid-July... appears we're all scratching at the neck for the season to start ?

image.jpeg

I just enjoy a conversation about fantasy football.  This is better than nothing.

. . . most of us are drafting our D/STs and Kickers either for $1 or final rounds, so we are obviously going to be missing out on teams like Seattle, Denver, Arizona, and Carolina, and possibly even Houston, KC, LA, and NE as well. 
Here's to looking at the 'non-elite' D/STs (the first four, above) that should be available for us at the tail end of the draft and have intriguing match-ups for the first few weeks. 

I included the matchups for each team I examined up to either their bye or ~6 weeks, whichever came first. the number in parenthesis indicates the ESPN ranking in terms of points scored by the opposing offense in 2015, meaning the smaller numbers (like Arizona and Pit) were the worst matchups for D/STs last year, and high numbers the best. I'm not getting heavy into analysis of 'what teams are better/worse' on either D/ST or opposing opposition, I'm just adding these base data so you can all do with it what you will. The only subjective part of my analysis is the vague, approximate 'groupings/headings' I placed below. Enjoy!

Looks great!! . . . on paper
Indianapolis:  vs. DET (17), @DEN (24), vs. SD (23), @JAX (30), vs. CHI (25), @HOU (14)
Chicago:  @HOU (14), vs. PHI (20), @DAL (29), vs. DET (17), @IND (27), vs. JAX (30)
Baltimore: vs. BUF (8), @CLE (31), @JAX (30), Oak (19), Wsh (8), @NYG (5), @NYJ (10)

The 'juicy schedules after a couple bad starting matchups'
NE: @Ari (1), Mia (21), Hou (14), Buf (8), @Cle (31), Cin (7)

The 'great D/STs matchups. . . for 1-3 weeks'
Houston: Chi (25), KC (13), @NE (2), Ten (32), @MIN (12), Indy (27), 
Philly:  vs. CLE (31), @CHI (25), Pit (2)

Buffalo:  @BAL (21), vs. NYJ (10), vs. ARI (1), @NE* (2), @LA (26), vs. SF (28), @MIA (21)
LA: @SF (28), Sea (11), @TB (15), @Ari (1), Buf (8), @Det (17), NYG (5)

The 'great statistical matchups but GB & Indy offenses will be way better than last year' D/STs
Minnesota: @TEN (32), vs GB (18), @Car (6), NYG (5), Hou (14)
Detroit:  @IND (27), vs. TEN (32), @GB (18), @CHI (25), vs. PHI (20), vs. LA (26)
KC: SD (23), @Hou (14), NYJ (10), @Pit (2)

Meh
NYJ: Cin (7), @Buf (8), @KC (13), Sea (11), @Pit (2), @Ari (1), Bal (21) 
Green Bay: @Jax (30), @MIN (12), Det (17)
Cincinnati:  @NYJ (10), vs. PIT (2), vs. DEN (24), vs. MIA (21), @DAL (29)