Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fantasyvirgin

Nikola Vucevic 2016-2017 season outlook

127 posts in this topic

This guy was ranked 26 last season and has been top 35 for last four seasons. May not have too much blocks, but still increased his block last season and came close to 1/1 in stl/blocks. With BB in town, how would it affect Vuc's PT/stats? BB averaged 22 mpg last season - dont think he would go more than that

Would you still target Vuc in the third round?

I'm targeting him fourth round. Probably won't get him by then. He's getting plugged into the same player category as Greg Monroe, a player type that is under utilized by NBA teams. If he gets a three point shot, it might improve his value slightly. But that usually comes with lower FG%.

There is huge upside with a trade but the trade rumors have died down probably because 76ers were throwing their big men onto the market. You are looking at a possibility of a trade deadline move.

Yeah, at this point I have no idea how to approach Orlando's front court in the draft. I'm probably just going to avoid them all together unless something changes.

1 person likes this

Vucevic will be the same player. Top 35 with his 18 points 10 rebounds 0.8 blocks. You will need to draft him in the 3rd round to get him though.

On 8/24/2016 at 0:21 AM, Johnnyapplebot said:

Vucevic will be the same player. Top 35 with his 18 points 10 rebounds 0.8 blocks. You will need to draft him in the 3rd round to get him though.

Or just get Love in the third round - a much safer option with regards to playing time. Comparable points and rebounds with more 3s but less FG%. More certainty about the playing time though. 

8 hours ago, SicarioSanity said:

Or just get Love in the third round - a much safer option with regards to playing time. Comparable points and rebounds with more 3s but less FG%. More certainty about the playing time though. 

By this logic I would avoid him in the 3rd round unless and "reach" for Love instead if I am scared to not get a double double big.

You can also try to draft him with Biyombo to mitigate some risk. Biyombo is bad for FT% and shares the playing time risk so he might be available at a fair price or lower. I wouldn't go into the draft with this strategy though.

Avoiding him like the plague. I see him falling out of the rotation this year. Just a bad fit in the modern NBA. He is this years Monroe, but I see an even bigger drop off. Biyombo is going to rock him out of the starting gig and i think Biz continues to develop on the offensive end too. Biz doesn't hurt you that much on FT% as he doesn't take that many and doesn't shoot it that bad.

Vuce-Mane is going to be pretty overrated IMO

On 8/25/2016 at 10:48 AM, Jake the snake said:

Avoiding him like the plague. I see him falling out of the rotation this year. Just a bad fit in the modern NBA. He is this years Monroe, but I see an even bigger drop off. Biyombo is going to rock him out of the starting gig and i think Biz continues to develop on the offensive end too. Biz doesn't hurt you that much on FT% as he doesn't take that many and doesn't shoot it that bad.

Why is he a bad fit?

What do we expect as far as rebounds this year?

Last year was a down year for him in the category. Only 9 per game, whereas it had been about 11 the three prior years.

3 hours ago, mysonx3 said:
On 8/25/2016 at 1:48 PM, Jake the snake said:

Why is he a bad fit?

Bad defender...but he may be ok only because Bismack and defend pretty much anyone on the court leaving Vuce to defend inside. Would have loved to see Payton - Dipo - Fournier - Gordon - Biyombo...remind me again why they traded Oladipo for Ibaka?

7 minutes ago, Jake the snake said:

Bad defender...but he may be ok only because Bismack and defend pretty much anyone on the court leaving Vuce to defend inside. Would have loved to see Payton - Dipo - Fournier - Gordon - Biyombo...remind me again why they traded Oladipo for Ibaka?

They traded him because.... because... because...I got nothing

4 people like this

On 26/8/2016 at 3:48 AM, Jake the snake said:

So far this preseason it's looking more and more likely that you might be right.  Ibaka and Biyombo are doing things that Vogel loves, mainly protect the rim and rebound hard (can't believe I'm saying that about Ibaka) and having those two at the 4 & 5 is definitely Orlando's strongest defensive lineup.  They still look like a poor scoring team but from the few preseason games I've watched they're relying less on Vucevic in iso and PnR.  Not good signs.  I'm starting to lean towards Ibaka being the C to own out of the cluster***k that is the Magic frontcourt. 

Honestly I think the best thing that could happen to Vucevic owner might well be a trade to a team lacking rebounding and/or a scoring C.

ESPN has projects him averaging 17/9 and a block per game. soo based on preseason is that likely to go down even more? i remember when he was beasted a year or two ago with like 20/20 games outta nowhere and i'm now kinda regretting picking him

Was available super late in my draft to where I felt obligated to take him as my 3rd big. Sell before season starts? 

1 person likes this

58 minutes ago, josheggers said:

Was available super late in my draft to where I felt obligated to take him as my 3rd big. Sell before season starts? 

Well if he lasted that long, your league must not value him very highly.  Seems like it would be worth waiting to see if he approaches his usual numbers.....if he does, then either keep him and get his stats or if you have trouble working him into your lineup trade him then when his value is up.  If he doesn't do as well, it sounds like you got him pretty late and he should earn that level of production no matter what.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, josheggers said:

Just curious, how late is late?

He was picked up mid 50s in my main league after the likes of Dieng, Gortat and JV. (10 man H2H)

I wouldn't sell just yet, his trade value isnt great thanks to his shoddy preseason and their big man log jam.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Mikhov said:

Just curious, how late is late?

He was picked up mid 50s in my main league after the likes of Dieng, Gortat and JV. (10 man H2H)

I wouldn't sell just yet, his trade value isnt great thanks to his shoddy preseason and their big man log jam.

I got him at 61 so first pick of the sixth round which I felt at that price I had no other option but to take him. 12 teamer 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, josheggers said:

I got him at 61 so first pick of the sixth round which I felt at that price I had no other option but to take him. 12 teamer 

Great value that late; more so if he gets traded!

Still expecting a decent floor for him in Orlando, atleast for the cats you expect him to contribute in.

1 person likes this

Why do people think Biyombo is going to take over the starting C job? Any sources? If Vucevic doesn't score, the Magic don't have many scoring options unless Aaron Gordon takes a huge leap forward. Vucevic, Ibaka, and Fournier are going to be their primary scoring options and any defensive liabilities Vucevic may have can be covered by Ibaka. 

The only thing keeping Vucevic on the court is his scoring ability, in defense he is pretty much useless. I think he won't have much value going forward, last year there were only Dedmon and Jason Smith behind him, Biyombo and Ibaka will take away some portion of his minutes, especially if Vogel decides from time to time to go small with Ibaka at five and Gordon/Green on four.

Are there any teams currently in the market for a offensive big that would trade for Vucci?

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 5:40 AM, monkeysennin said:

Why do people think Biyombo is going to take over the starting C job? Any sources?

"Bismack Biyombo signs 4 year/$72 million dollar contract with Orlando Magic"

Bismack Biyombo is "coming to Orlando to start" for the Magic next season, according to Jon Krawczynski of the Associated Press.

Krawczynski broke the Biyombo agreement, so this report isn't to be taken lightly. The Magic certainly paid Biyombo a starter's salary at $72 million over four years with coach Frank Vogel likely having a say -- Biyombo destroyed his Pacers in the playoffs. The Magic will have two of the NBA's best shot-blockers, so making shots disappear will be their specialty. If the Magic do indeed try to trade Nikola Vucevic, Biyombo has a great chance to be a top-five shot blocker and a top-10 rebounder in his age-24 season."

Even if he doesn't take the starting job, he's going to get plenty of minutes, probably an even timeshare.  They'll both be valuable.  If Vuc gets traded, they both get a boost

Edited by hobbs28
3 people like this