PuzzBeterson

Nikola Mirotic 2016-2017 Season Outlook

222 posts in this topic

Saw him mentioned a few times the past week, obviously also tied to his Rio performances.

Do people expect him to improve on last season? I know a lot of people expected him to be a MIP candidate in 15/16, but somehow he never took that next step.

Now with Rondo and Wade on board, Portis and Dougie a year older, what do you expect? Any improvement? Regression?

After McDermott he is the best shooter on the bulls roster. they need him from the outside. other than that, I think he has more opportunity with pau gone. but from a skills-perspective I believe we have seen all mirotic has to offer. I won't reach to get him this time

They absolutely need him for spacing in an offense that lacks 3pt shooters.  He is a frustrating player to own and the stats on paper actually look much better than when I was following him from afar last year (2 treys, 1.5 stocks combined) but the lack of PTS and the awful FG% (40%) means he's just a late-rounder until we see more.

If he got his act together he could be a Rashard Lewis.

2 people like this

7 hours ago, Shorty06 said:

After McDermott he is the best shooter on the bulls roster. they need him from the outside. other than that, I think he has more opportunity with pau gone. but from a skills-perspective I believe we have seen all mirotic has to offer. I won't reach to get him this time

I agree he might be good value for that reason though, because people got burned last year. I think he upticks in most cats a little and will be a later round target for me, not reaching too high though. If he goes he goes...

I'm not sold yet. He plays well in spurts and also overseas. There are some games where he is just a disaster and becomes a turnover brick laying machine. There's no explanation for it.

This guy is just an enigma to me. Shoots close to 39% 3pt but also 40% FG. If you do the math, he shoots just 42% anywhere else but 3. I guess this guy can only do 1 thing but doesn't understand the concept of easy buckets. I don't know, something is off with this guy.

2 people like this

All I remember last year with him was hot start, cooled down and start playing inconsistent, got injured, came back inconsistent again, and killed it during the final week of fantasy ball (is my Finals MVP).

I kinda liked the roller coaster I went on, maybe again this year.

Picked him way too high last year.   

jutland-trap.jpg

2 people like this

I can't figure out between Mirotic or McDermott who will take the biggest step forward. Lots of minutes now without Noah & Gasol and one of them will always have to be on the floor at all times to space it with Rondo/Wade/Butler now.

When he played above 30 min a game in 13 games last year, Mirotic stats were:

22.5 points, 6.5 rebounds

48.7% from the field

46.5% from 3 pointers

and his 3 point numbers were absurd....in those 13 games he attempted 8 threes per game, and hit 4/game. 4!! Thats Curry-land

and his usage jumped up to 24.1%

Question is, did they just leave him in longer stretches because he was really hot, and the games where he sucked were his average output? So basically his ceiling is extremely high, and his averages aren't that great.

McDermott is really interesting too, and much cheaper, in 16 games above 30 min a game last year he was:

16.5 points

51.3% from the field

46% from 3 pointers

Was a more modest (but probably more realistic) 1.8 @ 3pm, and average 4 attempts per game. And his usage moderately increased to 18.2% at that minutes level.

So one of them is going to suck up more minutes and could be deadly to own. And Rondo is going to get them far more looks than Rose was last year. 

Edited by worldclass
2 people like this

Classic Mirotic.  This guy is an enigma.  I fully expect him to go for 20 with 4 treys next time out.  Terribly inconsistent. 

1 person likes this

On 10/6/2016 at 9:15 PM, BoogieNights said:

Classic Mirotic.  This guy is an enigma.  I fully expect him to go for 20 with 4 treys next time out.  Terribly inconsistent. 

18 with 4 treys. :ph34r:

Good call.

2 people like this

Feeling nervous about this guy now that Taj had a strong preseason and is tapped to start while Mirotic's back is nagging him. I have him in a 8 teamer that I'm doing for ***** and giggles, but I'm starting to think he's more of a late rounder in a 10 team league. 

hopefully they realise they can't win without spacing and have no choice to play him. that having been said, if i could do it again i wouldn't draft him - not worth the hoiberg headache. 

My advice as a Mirotic owner of last season:

Wait for him to go on a hot streak of 4-5 games of good shooting, trade him and get the hell out of there.

7 people like this

On 10/21/2016 at 10:36 PM, 2013myyear said:

Feeling nervous about this guy now that Taj had a strong preseason and is tapped to start while Mirotic's back is nagging him. I have him in a 8 teamer that I'm doing for ***** and giggles, but I'm starting to think he's more of a late rounder in a 10 team league. 

anyone else think Bulls are showcasing Taj, will trade him, and Niko explodes post ASB? Niko's RFA and will want his $ too.  Floor's top 90; ceiling is top 40 imo.  

Edited by patentboy23

17 minutes ago, patentboy23 said:

anyone else think Bulls are showcasing Taj, will trade him, and Niko explodes post ASB? Niko's RFA and will want his $ too.  Floor's top 90; ceiling is top 40 imo.  

It's possible but if they want to win, and I think they do at this point prior to the start of the season, they keep Taj. If you're trying to win it doesn't make sense to trade your best PF (and second best C tbh) on the team right now. 

For those that got Mirotic either very cheap (He went for $2 in my league's auction draft), or very late in snakes (round 10 or later) he's very likely to return great value. I wasn't able to get him, but was definitely looking to grab him around there. This is his 3rd year in the league, and no more Pau, no more Rose, no more Noah. New team, new system, and he happens to be the second best shooter in there. I'm buying at that price!

1 person likes this

Mirotic certainly didn't do himself any favors with his preseason woes. However, a few quick things come to mind when assessing Niko's value this year. A few positives for sure if one wants to be optimistic....

1) As mentioned above this team may be looking to shop Taj in an effort to alleviate the log jam in the front-court. They just have too many viable options worthy of playing real mins now. Any roster change could be a huge boon for Niko's value.

2) They need to evaluate Mirotic this season given his pending free agency.

3) Give his free agency mentioned above he certainly should be motivated to play at a high level this year. 

4) There are rumblings in Chicago that Hoiberg desires to slot he and Taj together at times with TG at the and Niko at the PF slot. We very well could see Robin Lopez take a significant fantasy hit with preference for a "small ball" lineup. 

5) As has been well document this team desperately needs his floor spacing and offensive prowess to be competitive.

As Ajax mentioned, there is a good case to be made that Niko has been oversold and undervalued. His slide should offer a great chance at compelling value for enterprising Gms. 

1 person likes this

I've been hearing these Taj trade rumors for years it seems. I don't think it's happening and it's McDermott time to shine.

1 minute ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

I've been hearing these Taj trade rumors for years it seems. I don't think it's happening and it's McDermott time to shine.

Just out of curiosity, What makes you think Doug is ready for a major role on this team?