FouLLine

Luis Urias - 2B SD

Turned 19 back in June and had a sneaky good season.  In 120 Advanced A ball games and 3 AAA games Luis Urias ended 2016 with a slash line of:

.333 / .404 / .446 for an .850 OPS.  With only a 6.8% K%.  He really finished the second half strong too OPSing well into the 900's in his final 58 games.  He struck out only 12 times in his final 223 ABs.  He also saw his walk rate increase over that period of time drawing 25 walks in his final 58 games compared to 20 walks in his first 65 games.

Could be very close to MLB ready as soon as next year.  Not sure he will ever profile as a big time power hitter at 5'9" but the hit tool is looking awfully sharp in the minors right now.

Glad to see a post on him. I ABSOLUTELY love Urias hit tool. I've gone too many L.Elsinore games this year and was obsessed with Urias at bats. And he's only getting better as a hitter along with improving his plate discipline. I won't be shocked if he develops into a low double digit homerun hitter either. The only thing that bums me out is his speed. If he had any ability to steal bases, then he would be another Jose Altuve in the making. Either way, Urias is one slick hitter! Really excited for his future

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JakeSarna said:

Glad to see a post on him. I ABSOLUTELY love Urias hit tool. I've gone too many L.Elsinore games this year and was obsessed with Urias at bats. And he's only getting better as a hitter along with improving his plate discipline. I won't be shocked if he develops into a low double digit homerun hitter either. The only thing that bums me out is his speed. If he had any ability to steal bases, then he would be another Jose Altuve in the making. Either way, Urias is one slick hitter! Really excited for his future

I was thinking the same thing.  Similar to Jose Altuve how he was in the minors just hitting for huge averages at a young age.

Altuve showed more power and a lot more SB ability than Urias ... But Urias ability to hit for average (statistically speaking) is honestly further along than Altuve's was at the same age.  Urias hit .351 over his last 58 games (55 in Advanced A and 3 in AAA).  Certainly a strong hit tool here.

• Like 1

I've been eyeing this guy too, and haven't pulled the trigger because of the lack of power/speed. Along with Albies he begs the question -- in fantasy today, is AVG/R/RBI enough from your middle infielders? Guess it depends on your build. In my start-9 dynasty I'm passing, and it kinda hurts to do so. Definite pickup in MI/CI dynasty.

If this guy is taking steps forward in the power department (small sample I know) he should be a top 20 prospect sooner than later.

He already showed significant strides in the power department the last third of 2016. I really think he's terribly underrated, though I've had quite a number of people who believe otherwise.

• Like 1

I have dismissed him from my radar....however when I hear top 20 my ears perk up and I want another look see. 

Love to hear more thoughts on him...

1 hour ago, Tryptamine said:

He already showed significant strides in the power department the last third of 2016. I really think he's terribly underrated, though I've had quite a number of people who believe otherwise.

Yeah I'm very high on Urias.... The way I look at it is how is Victor Robles better than Urias?  I have looked at it from as many different angles as I could and almost all seem to favor Urias to me.  Maybe someone else can explain why Robles is a top 10 prospect yet Urias is an unknown?

The only edge Robles has on Urias (fantasy / real life evaluations) is he's got more power.  But for a top 10 prospect the amount of power Robles does have is honestly weak.  Good for a prospect his age, but almost laughable to consider him a top 10 prospect in my eyes.  

When was the last time we've seen a BB/K rate like Urias in the minors?  19 in AA.... Extremely impressive to say the least.

22 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

Yeah I'm very high on Urias.... The way I look at it is how is Victor Robles better than Urias?  I have looked at it from as many different angles as I could and almost all seem to favor Urias to me.  Maybe someone else can explain why Robles is a top 10 prospect yet Urias is an unknown?

The only edge Robles has on Urias (fantasy / real life evaluations) is he's got more power.  But for a top 10 prospect the amount of power Robles does have is honestly weak.  Good for a prospect his age, but almost laughable to consider him a top 10 prospect in my eyes.  

When was the last time we've seen a BB/K rate like Urias in the minors?  19 in AA.... Extremely impressive to say the least.

power and speed are at least two things that robles has over urias. robles has stole 20+ bags in each of the last three seasons with last season at 37 steals and he's already stole three in 2017. urias, on the other hand, has never stole more than ten in a season, and last season was at eight total.

Edited by osb_tensor

32 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

power and speed are at least two things that robles has over urias. robles has stole 20+ bags in each of the last three seasons with last season at 37 steals and he's already stole three in 2017. urias, on the other hand, has never stole more than ten in a season, and last season was at eight total.

Ah yes speed... I forgot about the steals.  Speed is honestly the one clear edge Robles has.

But as a hitter Urias at a higher level hit for a way better average, showed better plate discipline, and was still close in power.   

• Like 1

I put this to a BP chat that just wrapped up...not as high on him as I hoped but again just one opinion.

Accudart (Vermont): Luis Urias doesn't get much love..lack of power and older prospect? Do you see him becoming a top 30 prospect next year?

Eric Roseberry: I doubt you'll see Urias climb into top 30 consideration in a prospect list. He's gotten off to a bit of a slow start this season, and there really isn't a high ceiling tool in his profile. There are a few things he seems to do adequately well, but that's not typically the type of profile that makes someone a highly regarded prospect.

dot_gray.gif

43 minutes ago, accudart said:

I put this to a BP chat that just wrapped up...not as high on him as I hoped but again just one opinion.

Accudart (Vermont): Luis Urias doesn't get much love..lack of power and older prospect? Do you see him becoming a top 30 prospect next year?

Eric Roseberry: I doubt you'll see Urias climb into top 30 consideration in a prospect list. He's gotten off to a bit of a slow start this season, and there really isn't a high ceiling tool in his profile. There are a few things he seems to do adequately well, but that's not typically the type of profile that makes someone a highly regarded prospect.

dot_gray.gif

This is drastically underrating his hit tool.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

This is drastically underrating his hit tool.

Older prospect?  He's 19 in AA.... How many guys in AA are the same age or younger?  I'd bet he's the youngest at the level.

And I agree they are entirely under rating his hit tool.  Right now he's showing adjustments towards power.  The average we have already seen and his plate discipline doesn't suggest he's going to hit anywhere near .190 on the season.

I know it's a small sample but he has really elevated the ball more than in years past.  He was always a 2+ to 1 GB:FB ratio this year so far it's 0.7 so seems he's trying to elevate the ball more.  Elevate to celebrate!!

• Like 1

A multi K game for our boy Luis last night .... What a scrub!!

Currently a HR shy of the cycle for tonight.  Back to back big games.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

Currently a HR shy of the cycle for tonight.  Back to back big games.

I continue to ride the woefully under filled Luis Urias fan bus. I suspect it's going to be one heck of a lot more full in another 5 months.

• Like 1

Obviously Urias lacks power and speed, but I believe he'll end up around a 15 HR guy in his prime. Urias b&b is his elite elite hit tool and his plate discipline. Urias current hit tool reminds me of Jose Altuves when he was in the minors. But in regards to his plate discipline, Urias is top of the line. He walks more then he strikes out. Which he was going to be a high AVG hitter regardless but with his ability to get walks and hardly strikeout, this kid could easily be a .330 AVG hitter year round. And before last season he was just a slap happy singles hitter, but then last year he busted out for almost 30 doubles. And with his lack of speed, that's a good indication that he's got some untapped power waiting to come out. But like I said, imo, he'll hit around 15 HRs a year, which would be great since he'll do most of his damage thru hitting and just getting on base any which way. 

I think I like Urias hit tool more then any other prospect in baseball. Except Juan Soto and Daniel Brito are right up there with him. 

• Like 2

He already has 5 XBH... So he is no punch judy out there...Never underestimate the in game power of someone with a plus hit tool IMO.

Just your average 19 year old putting up a .349/.423/.635 line in AA. 8BB to 9K in 63ABs

• Like 2

4-4 tonight, up to .354 as a 19 year old in AA

13k/12 bb in 96 ab's 

.550 slg

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Like 1

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Tryptamine said:

I continue to ride the woefully under filled Luis Urias fan bus. I suspect it's going to be one heck of a lot more full in another 5 months.

I went out of my way to watch him hit during spring training.

This kid can hit way better than the experts are touting at the moment.  And his swing mechanics tell me he'll hit for more power in the future.

• Like 1

Any chance this dude gets the call to the big club this year? Probably not unless there are some injuries is my guess.