FouLLine

Luis Urias - 2B SD

There's no benefit for the padres to call him up. Wouldn't surprise me to see a full season in AA and full season in AAA next year. He will still only be 21-22 in 2019

I think it's a coin-toss whether he's up early next year. As young as he is, guys hitting like him don't stay down long. There are concerns about starting his clock early but if minor league pitching isn't challenging him, they might want to let him start figuring it out at the Major League level.

• Like 1

Padres prospect Luis Urias picked up three more hits on Sunday for Double-A San Antonio.

Could this be the best Urias? Probably not, but Luis is slowly becoming one of the best infield prospects in baseball. He's now hitting .344 for the Missions, and he's doing it as a teenager. If he can stay at shortstop he's a perennial All-Star, but no matter where he plays, he's relevant because he can really, really hit.

Looks like Rotoworld has jumped onto the bandwagon which is starting to get pretty full following Baseball America ranking him #57 overall on their updated list. If SD is seriously thinking of keeping him at SS, his stock shoots up a whole lot.

22 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Looks like Rotoworld has jumped onto the bandwagon which is starting to get pretty full following Baseball America ranking him #57 overall on their updated list. If SD is seriously thinking of keeping him at SS, his stock shoots up a whole lot.

Let's be real RW had this bandwagon rolling before BA updated their list...

• Like 1

This guy just continues to rake rocking a .346 batting average and a .909 OPS ... The 2.03 GB/FB ratio tells me that he much like Altuve should see a nice increase in slugging when he continues to age and learn how to elevate for power.

• Like 3

Three more walks last night brings his OBP to .433 - and now has more walks than K's.  

• Like 1

Altuve's GO:AO was 1.60 for his minor league career.  And Urias doesn't offer the SB potential so far either.  He's basically no power/no speed hit machine right now.  Really young for AA, I wonder if it would have been better to leave him in High A and see if he could dominate it and work on elevating swing and SB aspects.

8 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Altuve's GO:AO was 1.60 for his minor league career.  And Urias doesn't offer the SB potential so far either.  He's basically no power/no speed hit machine right now.  Really young for AA, I wonder if it would have been better to leave him in High A and see if he could dominate it and work on elevating swing and SB aspects.

I think those adjustments can be made in 2018 in El Paso.  Or at least that should be the focus.

Or perhaps he shouldn't focus on changing anything.  Hell, he's a 19 yr old hitting .340 in AA with more BBs than Ks. WhoTF are we to criticize his approach?

Not every ball player needs to be groomed to become a homerun hitter or a stolen base machine and it's not like SDG is a homerun hitters park to anyway. 

I imagine the front office sees a potential leadoff bat with the ability to hit .333/.425 and recognize that is an extremely valuable piece to their organization. Just turned 20 two days ago, already has 344 career minor league hits and a career .319 average. Long way to go until he's wearing a Friars lid though.

25 minutes ago, LoGo said:

Not every ball player needs to be groomed to become a homerun hitter or a stolen base machine and it's not like SDG is a homerun hitters park to anyway. 

I imagine the front office sees a potential leadoff bat with the ability to hit .333/.425 and recognize that is an extremely valuable piece to their organization. Just turned 20 two days ago, already has 344 career minor league hits and a career .319 average. Long way to go until he's wearing a Friars lid though.

If he keeps on doing what he's been doing I see him getting a bunch of September PAs.  The batting average and batting eye are tools that translate well to the next level.

If he can stick at SS, he really becomes immensely valuable even if he's only a 10HR bat. With that said, he just turned 20, so we really have no idea what his power could be

23 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

If he can stick at SS, he really becomes immensely valuable even if he's only a 10HR bat. With that said, he just turned 20, so we really have no idea what his power could be

He has been getting more run at SS than 2B in AA.  He's also gotten quite a few games at 3B in previous seasons as well.  He could end up having some nice Javy Baez like eligibility. 

Was hoping if I pointed out how he was slumping that maybe he'd snap out of it upon reading his player thread.

Keith law in his chat today dismissed Urias as not being close to his top 50

anyone beg to differ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbossman said:

anyone beg to differ?

He has definitely been in a prolonged slump, but still given his age, his plus plus hit tool and if he can stick at SS there's no question he belongs. It's funny because Keith Law was in love with a guy just like Urias but older in Kevin Newman. Said he was the best prospect in the 2015 draft and always had him ranked highly when very few others did.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bigbossman said:

anyone beg to differ?

I'm an owner and I understand not having him top-50. The hit tool's outstanding and he looks serviceable at one of the MI positions but without more power or speed, there's not much there to keep higher level pitching from attacking him. Now, he's young and I've heard it said that anybody who can hit can learn to hit for power, which is why I drafted him, but I understand being lower on him until he demonstrates that ability. The beginning of the year looked promising for that but the last month has put those gains in doubt. Without power or speed, that profile looks like Jorge Polanco and that doesn't scream top-50 prospect.

• Like 1

I see him as a DJ LaMahieu type hitter, could develop a little more pop, maybe double digit steals

Left game to sprained ankle but doesn't sound too serious.  He was hitting .472 over his last 10 games before the injury.

Judging by no posts since July, people aren't too high on him based on the current homer/steal situation.  I think he could develop more power and being a pretty damn good hitter. He should be up this year too?  People are sleeping a little bit on him, DJ Lemiehu is valuable in a lot of leagues. Upside? Jose Ramirez

I'm quite happy to have him in my minor league squad, sure he's not much of a talent in a categories league but in a points league he's going to be a killer.

Posted (edited)

Yeah he is flying under the radar for sure. I think he could be a Winker type that experiences a power surge in the majors. People forget he is only 20... power is still developing.

Edited by Dirtywater97

He's walked more than he's struck out at virtually every level despite being among the very youngest at all of them, is a virtual lock to play in the infield, and seems an excellent bet to bat towards the top of the order with his approach and on-base ability. I'm in; if the power doesn't come, he's still useful and if the power DOES come, there's an underrated ceiling here.

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2017 at 6:47 PM, bigbossman said:

anyone beg to differ?

Keith Law Bsg to differ 

he ranked him 38

i wonder what changed

Edited by brockpapersizer

My post was from July 2017 so Keith probably liked what he saw during the second half of the year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

My post was from July 2017 so Keith probably liked what he saw during the second half of the year.

Yeah I’m aware. Wasn’t putting you on blast, just noticed your post and saw that Keith law must have had a dramatic change of heart. “Nowhere close to 50” to 38 is a sharp change. 

• Like 1