FouLLine

Luis Urias - 2B SD

Urias is definitely worth a speculative hold...that hit tool...drool

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Seems like the power is coming.  Something must have revealed itself for KLaw to do a 180 on him:

From earlier this spring:

Urias’ five doubles – “He’s hit every wall in the Cactus League,” manager Andy Green said – are tied for the major league lead this spring. In 17 plate appearances (13 at-bats), Urias has a .538/.647/.923 hitting line.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sd-sp-padres-tatis-urias-roster-minors-0304-story.html

Last year:

While Urías hit just three home runs in 2017, a closer examination revealed more than an elite contact hitter. According to Trackman data, he produced the farm system’s third-highest number of exit velocities of at least 95 mph.

https://theathletic.com/282423/2018/03/22/lin-the-padres-unlikely-signing-of-luis-urias-is-paying-dividends/

(paid content)

Edited by Meastoftheeast
  • Like 5

On 3/24/2018 at 7:53 AM, bigbossman said:

sounds like he'll be up after Super 2

I wouldn't bank on it.

Asuje was a sneaky good pickup by SD years ago.   He's a really good fielder and can also hit.

They could also move Pirela back to 2b and play Cordero in the of.

On 3/23/2018 at 8:24 AM, brockpapersizer said:

Keith Law Bsg to differ 

he ranked him 38

i wonder what changed

Probably cause he finally got around to reading this forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I know he is going to hit, but I want to see some sign of improving power from him. No XBHs yet this year.

20 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

I know he is going to hit, but I want to see some sign of improving power from him. No XBHs yet this year.

2 XBH.  He hit a bomb and a double today, both off of Parker Bridwell.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

HR clip here:

http://clips.milb.com/milb/2018/04/11/44-542575-2018-04-11/web_cut/milb_1928591083_1000K.mp4

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/luis-urias-homers-as-part-of-three-hit-day-for-el-paso-chihuahuas/c-271792174

Just manager comments on Luis here, more in linked article:

"I've seen him six games now ... he's impressive," El Paso hitting coach Morgan Burkhart said. "He just does a good job of getting his pitch early, and he's got a good approach. He battles, he's a fighter and there's not a lot of panic. He's a young kid, but he hits very mature."

"He's strong -- not the biggest individual but a strong kid," Burkhart said. "He's got a good short stroke, works through the ball and can drive the baseball. Even when he gets down with two strikes, it's short but there's something behind it."

"He does a good job of getting hits early," Burkhart said. "Usually he's pretty good discipline-wise when he ends up in hitting counts, and what he does with two strikes is impressive."

• Like 3

any ideas on a potential call up time frame?

My points league dynasty team can't wait to have this guy up. 

#Padres 2B/SS Luis Urias is 9-for-14 with a HR and 6 walks since his last strikeout. He is the youngest hitter and second-youngest player at Triple-A and will turn 21 on June 3, at which time he will probably be in the majors.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

What an effing stud 

Gotta love that career minor league 167:150 BB:K ratio.

So best case scenario Altuve without the power.  Or maybe joe panik?  

9 hours ago, Fielder1831 said:

Wish he had power.... what would be his top end power projection?

12-15

10 hours ago, einstein2u said:

So best case scenario Altuve without the power.  Or maybe joe panik?  

10 hours ago, Fielder1831 said:

Wish he had power.... what would be his top end power projection?

check him out on this home run. It gives a good look of how the ball jumps off his bat. In this era, I wouldn't be surprised to see him be an annual 16-18ish homer guy, with outlier years that reach or eclipse 20. No disrespect to the aforementioned Joe Panik, but I think Urias will be a far more prolific hitter. 

To me the best-case scenario is Altuve mixed with Dustin Pedroia. A top-5 fantasy second baseman who is a threat to his .320 any year, with gobs of runs, a decent amount of RBI, and roughly 15-15 power/speed stats, although 15 might be high on the speed. 

The only thing keeping Urias' prospect stock somewhat suppressed is that his headliner tool is hitting, which isn't as sexy as power or speed or a blazing fastball. Maybe in a sense he is the Mike Soroka of hitting prospects: doesn't necessarily flash at first glance, but has the skills and makeup to be a very good Major Leaguer for a long time.  

• Like 3

Ozzie Albies wasn't regarded as having much power, correct? Similar to Urias maybe? Whose to say he can't develop into more power with the bat control that he has?

Obviously, this is a lot of speculation. But nobody thought Lindor would hit for much power and nobody thought Albies was either. 

• Like 2

Random tidbits from Andy Green's presser today -

He wanted Urias to make his debut this past weekend in the Mexico series, "but lost the argument."

He expects him to be up for the second half at the latest.  Maybe sooner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear that...I traded Glyber Torres last night and Urias is next in line on my rebuild at 2b.

Super 2 all but confirmed

Andy Green lobbied hard to have Urias join the team in Mexico for this last series, but upper management said NOPE!

2 hours ago, einstein2u said:

When is super 2?

There's no hard deadline because Super 2 status is based on a percentage of players who have accumulated at least 2, but less than 3 years of service time. And that would be projected a few years down the road, i.e. a player called up this year could become Super 2 eligible after the 2020 season.  Officially, the top 22 percent of MLB players after each season with between 2 and 3 years of service time become arbitration eligible. Here are the cutoffs for the last 5 seasons:

2017: 2 years, 123 days

2016: 2 years, 131 days

2015: 2 years, 130 days

2014: 2 years, 133 days

2013: 2 years, 122 days

In each season, players with at least that amount of service time became arbitration eligible (all players become arbitration eligible after they have 3 years of service time until they have at least 6 years, in which case they can become free agents).  A player earns service time for each day he spends on the active (25-man) roster or on the 15-day or 60-day disabled lists. By rule, 172 days of service time during a single season (excluding playoffs) equals one year of service. Note that for 2018, there are 187 calendar days during the regular season. Thus, a player does not technically have to be up every day to earn a full year of service time (the 15 day difference is part of the reason Acuña stayed down in AAA to start the year). 

So to make a long answer short, the rough deadline will be somewhere around late May. Of course that's an estimate. In 2017, the "deadline" was 10 days later than in 2014. Also of note is that before the 2018 season, the season consisted of 183 days. So this year is a little longer, allowing players to earn a few extra days of service time. In the end, teams tend to err on the side of caution and hold players down another couple of weeks to be safe. So that's more like mid-June.

• Like 2