FouLLine

Luis Urias - 2B SD

Super 2 thing is super-stooopid. :angry:

Urias last night:  4/5, 1 HR, 1 BB, 2 RBI, 4 R

.419 BA over his last 10 games - 13/31, 2 HR, 13 runs scored, 5 RBI, 1 SB with a 11:3 BB:K ratio. :wub:

I think he's gonna have more power than most are projecting when he gets that juiced ball to play with. 

The hit tool travels and I can't wait to see that juiced ball fly off his bat.

With guys like Lindor,Albies etc suddenly becoming 20HR+ bats once they hit the majors I wouldn't be at all surprised. Urias with that kind of pop is a very valuable piece.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

we picking him up yet?

Should have been already...he’s arguably got the second best hit tool in the minors if not the best. 

Luis Urías' average is now up to .313 after two more hits today with a .903 OPS.

• Like 1

https://www.mighty1090.com/2018/05/07/aj-preller-on-what-more-luis-urias-needs-to-prove-villanueva-and-concern-over-team-strikeouts/

An interview with the GM AJ Preller. Overall sounds non-committal on a when. However, the typical dodging screams Super 2. Means we're probably looking at a month from now. Depends how savvy your league is on young guys, and if you can afford a dead spot in your lineup.

In other words, it's gambling time.

2 hours ago, High&Inside said:

https://www.mighty1090.com/2018/05/07/aj-preller-on-what-more-luis-urias-needs-to-prove-villanueva-and-concern-over-team-strikeouts/

An interview with the GM AJ Preller. Overall sounds non-committal on a when. However, the typical dodging screams Super 2. Means we're probably looking at a month from now. Depends how savvy your league is on young guys, and if you can afford a dead spot in your lineup.

In other words, it's gambling time.

from a fantasy standpoint, I don't know if hes even worth grabbing this year in redraft, and this is coming from a Padre homer.  Hes not going to provide you much counting stats nor homers/sb's, so basically imo hes at best a 1 category player (standard 5x5 obv) and even with that he may struggle as a 20 year with a first taste in the bigs

• Like 1

I took a flyer on him. However he looks a lot like Placido Polanco to me. 10 HRs 300ish average 8 SB type production. However he is young and while his speed can only get worse maybe his power will rise. In any event he looks like a second place hitter in the majors and if he gets some RBI guys behind him maybe he can someday be a top 80 type player.

He's perfect for points leagues. .300/.400/.420 slash line with double digit homers and steals imo

OBP machine. Moderate power coming online -- his 20 y.o. spike to .152 ISO at AAA is eerily similar to Albies' .156 last year. He's got 20 lbs on Ozzie too. Likey.

you guys are killing the vibe. elite hit tool + the juiced ball = good times. 

• Like 2

Not sure if this will link correctly but I thought a comp would be Pedroia with less power.  Seems to have a much better eye.

Maybe we have another "laser show" on our hands. 

Baseball cube comparison

• Like 1

I've always thought he's the good version of Martin Prado.

While I've been the relatively high man on his power projection I still see him as more of a 15 hr guy.  Home ballpark hurts.

I do expect him to compete for batting titles though. 

In long-term keeper and dynasty though in a few years batting in the two hole in SD with his obp skills and power will result in 100+ runs.

On 7.5.2018 at 9:07 PM, hgh22 said:

I think he's gonna have more power than most are projecting when he gets that juiced ball to play with. 

The hit tool travels and I can't wait to see that juiced ball fly off his bat.

Yes he has pop. Problem has been that he is a ground ball machine, over 50% for his career and so far not getting better either this year.  Altuve was a 50% grounder guy too and he improved that to low 40s. If urias can improve that to low to at least mid 40s in the majors I think he can hit 20 homers. Not everyone learns to do that (hosmer so far) but many players slightly do lift the ball more as they get older. Some need a major swing change like JDM but I wouldn't recommend that with him because his swing is already working to hit very well. Would prefer a gradual small adjustment to get him slowly to 42-45% grounders rather than trying a major overhaul and make him a fly ball machine like JDM or Jose Bautista. Now the latter could work but it could also lead to becoming Jason Hayward with his constant tinkering.  Imo his hit tool is too good to risk that, just try to use pitch selection and small adjustments to get a few more balls in the air. If he hits 15 that is nice, 20 would be great, anything more is a bonus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kazmagic said:

Obviously he could get called up tomorrow... key takeaways "needs to face aaa pitching" "needs to go against teams multiple times"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mighty1090.com/2018/05/07/aj-preller-on-what-more-luis-urias-needs-to-prove-villanueva-and-concern-over-team-strikeouts/amp/

Translation: Needs to hit Super-Two.

Love Urias as an MLB prospect. Less so as a fantasy prospect. A lot less so as a fantasy prospect this year. Points league seems his best format. My guess is LeMahieu outside Coors this year once he gets the call.

1 hour ago, Team Dynasty said:

Do we know what the Super Two date is?

Read page 3 of this thread

Feel like the time to grab is now. Think he'll be up in less than 2 wks. Just got out of the dry spell he's been in at the plate. Pirela isn't doing anything at the big league level besides hitting ground balls.

Urias is coming soon. 

was like in 1-20 slump last time i checked.  is doing better? i am a little gun shy after the kingery debacle.  

1-4 with a double and a run tonight out of the leadoff spot. 

Last 10 games he had been hitting .161 with 8BB,9K

I think he will be up soon.

Dub: How confident are you in Urias’s ability to eventually hit for power? Obv major league ball will help

Eric A Longenhagen: Quite. If you square up the big league ball right now it’s gonna go.

Luis Urias up before or after the all star break?

Eric A Longenhagen: After

From Longenhagen's chat on Fangraphs yesterday. 

Played the hero last night with 2-run HR in bottom of 8th to propel El Paso to a 4-2 win.