FouLLine

Luis Urias - 2B SD

Asuaje was optioned back to AAA after last nights SD/WAS game.

So currently only Pirela is playing 2B. He does nothing offensively. Zero.

If Urias is only down for Super 2 then time is almost up.

1 hour ago, High&Inside said:

Meh, Urias isnt exactly tearing it up either, the kid is 20 and clearly needs more AAA AB's. Besides, Pirela has been serviceable and is at top 15 2B in most cats.

3 hours ago, High&Inside said:

they have Spangenberg too

Padre homer here and dynasty Urias owner.  I think the Padres will absolutely bring Urias up the next time he forces their hand (i.e. gets hot).  819 OPS certainly isn't bad considering age/level, but it's he's not exactly beating the door down right now.  Also, it wouldn't surprise me to see Pirela heat up soon - he's not a great player but he's a better hitter than he's shown so far.  If Pirela heats up, it could delay Urias a bit longer.

Another 3/5 night last night.  Over last 4 games, Luis Urias is batting .563 (9/16) with 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 BB, 1 K and 4 runs scored. Batting .361 over his last 10. 

All due respect to Pirela, he's a 28 year old journeyman whose only real value is his ability to play LF as well as 2B. He's not hit a HR all year, he's <50% in stealing bases, he's sporting a wholly uninspiring slash line of .260/.319/.342 with a 46:16 K:BB ratio and has no real expectation to do any better. He's 28 ffs, he is what he is.

There is absolutely no reason Urias should not be in San Diego right now.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wayzupusc said:

Another 3/5 night last night.  Over last 4 games, Luis Urias is batting .563 (9/16) with 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 BB, 1 K and 4 runs scored. Batting .361 over his last 10. 

All due respect to Pirela, he's a 28 year old journeyman whose only real value is his ability to play LF as well as 2B. He's not hit a HR all year, he's <50% in stealing bases, he's sporting a wholly uninspiring slash line of .260/.319/.342 with a 46:16 K:BB ratio and has no real expectation to do any better. He's 28 ffs, he is what he is.

There is absolutely no reason Urias should not be in San Diego right now.

No baseball reason, perhaps.  There's a very real financial reason he's not in San Diego, but that will be gone in a couple weeks.

• Thanks 2

I think another reason is that they want Pirela to get hot so they can get something for him

Another clutch hit last night. The game winning double.

Tick tock tick tock

HR #5 today

From Scott White-

"Wait, impact? From a guy with seven homers over the past two seasons? Fair, but Urias makes some of the hardest contact of any minor-leaguer, his exit velocity ranking up there with Guerrero's last year. And the way scouts rave about his ability, he could be the sort of prospect who finds another gear once he reaches the majors, a la Francisco Lindor and Gleyber Torres. If nothing else, the 20-year-old has exceptional strike-zone judgment and plenty of extra-base pop, which should at least make him useful in points leagues. And now that he's hot, batting .361 (13 for 36) over his past nine games, he's pushing the Padres to replace either Jose Pirela or Freddy Galvis, who are both miscast as everyday players."

Not sure if the bold part is true but if it's anywhere near accurate, I'm in love. 

• Like 4

Luis made his 2nd start at 3B today.

Interesting. Super utility role coming on.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, High&Inside said:

Interesting...2B & SS are obviously more of need areas for SD but Villanueva only hitting .237 & K's a ton. Any position flexibility is a good thing i guess...as long as moving him around doesn't mess him up mentally in some way.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, High&Inside said:

he wont be a utility guy, when up he will play everyday, and unless Galvis is dealt, it will be 99% at 2B

they are moving Asuaje all around in hopes hes a utility guy in the future, and Urias can play anywhere.  I hope SS

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Like 1

Looking at drafting in a dynasty. Could he be a bit of an Albies mold? Meaning his power shows up in the majors and not the minors.

Serious question, do Padres hitting prospects ever develop?  Seems like they all bust.  There’s been a bunch over last few years abs they’re generally windmills.  What makes this guy any different?

4 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Serious question, do Padres hitting prospects ever develop?  Seems like they all bust.  There’s been a bunch over last few years abs they’re generally windmills.  What makes this guy any different?

His bat to ball skills are on a completely different level.

Also, which prospects are you referring to during the Preller era?  Not being snarky, genuine question as  off the top of my head the prospects he and his staff signed and developed haven't started hitting the majors yet. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 4:05 PM, Golden Spikes said:

he wont be a utility guy, when up he will play everyday, and unless Galvis is dealt, it will be 99% at 2B

they are moving Asuaje all around in hopes hes a utility guy in the future, and Urias can play anywhere.  I hope SS

I'm hoping 2b long-term with Tatis or a big time FA at SS/3B.

25 minutes ago, Fielder1831 said:

Looking at drafting in a dynasty. Could he be a bit of an Albies mold? Meaning his power shows up in the majors and not the minors.

It's certainly possible. The baseballs fly differently in the majors. I think he's 15-20 homers at peak which is plenty useful with his contact ability. 

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

I'm hoping 2b long-term with Tatis or a big time FA at SS/3B.

I think we have Adam Duvall, Mark Trumbo for 3rd right now in Villa who will hit 30+ bombs with the AB's

unless they go like 300mil for Machado there isn't going to be a big upgrade over Villanueva

3 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

I think we have Adam Duvall, Mark Trumbo for 3rd right now in Villa who will hit 30+ bombs with the AB's

unless they go like 300mil for Machado there isn't going to be a big upgrade over Villanueva

I'll be honest,  Machado is EXACTLY who I was thinking of.  Moose?  Maybe...but Machado I'd 100% go after.

54 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

I'll be honest,  Machado is EXACTLY who I was thinking of.  Moose?  Maybe...but Machado I'd 100% go after.

they weren't interested in Moose when he was cheap, I wish the Padres would pony up for Manny, but its not going to happen

Is he an “could be up any time” candidate or are we thinking it could be some time before he gets the call?

There was discussion on the minorleagueball page yesterday that they were working on a leg kick to try to get him to hit with more power. There was no direct source from what I saw but it would help explain the recent struggles. If that's the case, I'd imagine he has a bit more adjusting to do at the minor league level. Either way, the recent performance isn't exactly forcing the Padres' hand.

3 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

Is he an “could be up any time” candidate or are we thinking it could be some time before he gets the call?

Pirela still with a sub .700 OPS and 0HR, so I’m thinking we’re a week away from his call up. At least that’s what I’m hoping for. I’ve been saving my waiver spot for him in my NL only. Wouldn’t mind Alonso or Hampson but I’m less confident either of them come up and get playing time.