Sign in to follow this  
CrypTviLL

Fantasy Hockey vs. Other fantasy sports

Hey Fantasy Hockey fans,

I play a lot of fantasy basketball, baseball, and football. I know little about hockey (and somewhat little about basic hockey statistics).

How do you compare fantasy hockey to the other games?

1. Is fantasy hockey a fun and accurate game to play? What I mean by this, does it accurately reflect the best players and does it add to your enjoyment? I think fantasy football easily is the most exciting fantasy game in the respect that it adds to the enjoyment every Sunday.

2. Is there actual skill behind any fantasy hockey playing? My take is that in fantasy football there is virtually no skill since its like a lottery pick every week and injuries happen so often. Fantasy basketball offers a lot of injuries and some weird weekly match ups due to schedule. Fantasy baseball takes the most skill (albeit, still a lot of luck).

3. Is there a big difference (or anything I should know) about h2h vs. roto (is roto even a thing in hockey??)?

And any other comments you'd like to make that reflect the similarities and differences in fantasy hockey to the other sport games.

Thank you.

Interesting questions. I think enjoyment really depends on level of competition in the league. If you don't take a sport seriously and you're in a league with degenerate die-hards, I don't think you'll have fun. Conversely if you are passionate about the particular sport and you're in a league with schmucks that isn't fun either.  My favourite sport is hockey, but joined a buddy's league last year because he needed a guy to fill out a 12 teamer. It was roto. I drafted my players and didn't have to touch it for the whole season. Came 1st or 2nd in 9 of 10 categories and led all but one day. It wasn't fun. Same sport but different league against hard core players that I haven't won in like 6 years is much more fun. I play in a couple of football and a baseball. It keeps me interested in sports that I wouldn't normally care about. Watching a Reds/Marlins game in August would never happen if it wasn't for fantasy.

All sports have skill and some luck(injuries). Hockey has a top tier of players and then a mass of guys who will finish 20 points of each other. Skill is finding which ones will be at the top of that group and staying away from the ones that won't. A little bit of research on how guys are being used (coaching decisions can play a huge difference between players in hockey) and who is on the PP can make a difference in your fantasy league.

H2H vs Roto is the same as any sport. Number of games in a week makes a difference, matchups play more of a role. Goalie matchups play a role. Common sense stuff I guess.

• Like 1

Ah yes, Goalies. On the topic of Goalies, how important is it in a standard (Yahoo) public league to have one of the elite (Say top 3 or 5) goalies? I noticed that they are very special in that they get their own few categories. 

14 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

Ah yes, Goalies. On the topic of Goalies, how important is it in a standard (Yahoo) public league to have one of the elite (Say top 3 or 5) goalies? I noticed that they are very special in that they get their own few categories. 

You'll get lots of different answers to this. My view is goalies aren't that much different. You'll get decent value from a middle tier goalie. I don't waste picks in the first four or five rounds on them. I'm happy with someone else taking a top guy and leaving me more points on my forward lines.

• Like 2

I value top 3-5 goalies every year but don't majorly reach for them. Take one if there. 

Fantasy hockey is right up there with enjoyment to me and easy to understand after a season or two of playing. Join public easy leagues to get your feet wet. 

Great time of year with baseball wrapped up and basketball for some people/not for others. FB takes up very little of ones time. 

Hf boards/here at rotoworld/left wing lock/twitter great starting points for fantasy hockey research. Tsn /Sportsnet ok too for Cdn media. 

• Like 2

On 9/20/2016 at 9:17 PM, CrypTviLL said:

1. Is fantasy hockey a fun and accurate game to play? What I mean by this, does it accurately reflect the best players and does it add to your enjoyment? I think fantasy football easily is the most exciting fantasy game in the respect that it adds to the enjoyment every Sunday.

Its definitely fun however Im not a fan of league that use blocked shots and hits as categories/stats. Theyre stats that are subjected to the home team stat keeper. I suppose you could argue it expands the player pool like IDP leagues do in football but it also means your going to be rostering some pretty forgettable players. 

2. Is there actual skill behind any fantasy hockey playing? My take is that in fantasy football there is virtually no skill since its like a lottery pick every week and injuries happen so often. Fantasy basketball offers a lot of injuries and some weird weekly match ups due to schedule. Fantasy baseball takes the most skill (albeit, still a lot of luck).

Its the 2nd most physical sport after football but there's not as many major injuries. Youre not going to lose one of your top picks to an ACL tear or something. Injuries are probably not as common than in baseball too.

• Like 1

On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 3:16 PM, gdon said:

You'll get lots of different answers to this. My view is goalies aren't that much different. You'll get decent value from a middle tier goalie. I don't waste picks in the first four or five rounds on them. I'm happy with someone else taking a top guy and leaving me more points on my forward lines.

I'm playing fantasy hockey for the first time this year, in a h2h league, and I was wondering the same thing. because half of the stats come from GK, it seemed like netting a top one was vital. but...since we only start 2 and there are 10 teams in the league, they aren't exactly scarce either. for any given week, i'd say it is a crapshoot. 

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Like 2

Hi all, i am a newby in fantasy hockey and don't know much difference (except what i've read in Google). I like regular hockey itself and used to check live broadcasting https://777score.com/hockey. But unfortunately there is no such an option for live results in fantasy one. Can someone share helpful link with me? 

Thanks is advance.

I try to avoid league with too many many goalie categories. Other than that hockey can be better than anything. There are so many ways to set up a league and a ton of fun category combinations.

On 9/21/2016 at 1:19 AM, CrypTviLL said:

You definitely want a top 8 to top 5 guy. Even then and with the best skaters in your given league; tough to take a title H2H if you are out-goalied.

H2H sucks for hockey. I switched over to a points system where players get a certain amount of points for goals, assists, saves, negative points for a goal against, etc. 

Similar to daily but I've added and removed certain categories. 

I'm in a 16 team dynasty league. Originally I was in another 16 team dynasty that died out because I think it was just too boring.

We made the following changes:

4 x C

4 x LW

4 x RW

6 x D

6 x BN

2 x G

2 x NA

We also added hits and blocks to the usual G, A, PIM, +/-, SOG and PPP. We kept the same 4 goalie stats of W, GAA, SV% and SO.

We found the these changes made the player pool a lot bigger, and for people that like to look through the wire daily it's a huge improvement. Rebuilding is made easier this way and so is trading. Now teams can get value out of depth players that might only get 20 points a season but are good for 200 hits and 80 PIM for example. The positions make rosters deeper and also make it feel more like an actual NHL lineup, which to me and others is a big part of what can make fantasy sports fun - replicating the real thing as much as possible. We considered adding even a few more stats but decided that while we wanted something more in depth and exciting we didn't want to get complicated. We have a 1 round draft every year and the pick for the next season can be traded starting on day 1 of the season (the 2018 draft pick could be traded starting day 1 of the 2017-18 season). Once again we went a little more in depth without getting too complicated. No 5 round draft and no trading picks 2-3 years in the future. Keep things simple but exciting.

I seen a comment about hits and blocks making you roster some unforgettable players but I look at it the other way. Hits and blocks expand the player pool and make some good hockey players relevant fantasy players. Luke Schenn goes from unrosterable to #5 or #6 D man on my team.  

We also kept the goalie stats to 4 cats while moving players cats to 8. Why? Goalies are probably worth too much in the 6 to 4 cats. We dropped the value of them, especially in a league where you stat 2 goalies and there are 16 teams (16 x 2 = 32 goalies) but only 31 NHL teams. Backups become valuable then, but it doesn't make Price or Holtby impossible to trade or worthy of the top pick. Also, when you roster 26 players and only 3-4 are goalies, why should it be 6 to 4 cats? 

• Like 1