brockpapersizer

Giancarlo Stanton 2017 Outlook

I've never owned him, as he seems to be the most UNLUCKIEST player in the game today. 

1 minute ago, Vegeta said:

I've never owned him, as he seems to be the most UNLUCKIEST player in the game today. 

Agreed. Stanton isn't injury prone, unless someone wants to argue that he's substantially more brittle than the average player when he gets hit by a 95+ MPH baseball. 

Short of going full Wolverine and reinforcing his body with metal, not much Stanton can do in these situations. 

Anyway in the present situation, my worry is two-fold:

1. If it isn't a fracture (which PRELIMINARILY seems to to be the case), then it might be a bone bruise, which will probably result in a DL stint. Travis D'Arnaud had a wrist bone bruise from a HBP earlier this year and was DL'ed for two weeks. He's played at about the same level as pre-injury since coming back. 

2. How do this affect Stanton's confidence? The ball he took to the face really messed with him psychologically, in my opinion. Granted, that's a lot more scary than getting his in an extremity, but he's been playing well of late, I'd really hate if he comes back being tentative. 

1 hour ago, Rainyy said:

Agreed. Stanton isn't injury prone, unless someone wants to argue that he's substantially more brittle than the average player when he gets hit by a 95+ MPH baseball. 

Short of going full Wolverine and reinforcing his body with metal, not much Stanton can do in these situations. 

Anyway in the present situation, my worry is two-fold:

1. If it isn't a fracture (which PRELIMINARILY seems to to be the case), then it might be a bone bruise, which will probably result in a DL stint. Travis D'Arnaud had a wrist bone bruise from a HBP earlier this year and was DL'ed for two weeks. He's played at about the same level as pre-injury since coming back. 

2. How do this affect Stanton's confidence? The ball he took to the face really messed with him psychologically, in my opinion. Granted, that's a lot more scary than getting his in an extremity, but he's been playing well of late, I'd really hate if he comes back being tentative. 

Agreed & Agreed. Love Stanton, just is incredibly unlucky. 

X Rays are negative is beyond great news, Ive been without Cespedes essentially all season and have been eager to pair him with Stanton in my lineup. 

A bone bruise is worrisome, but I would not use Travis D'Arnaud as your measuring stick. He's arguably the most injury prone position player in the league lol 

We need more information, but I am optimistic that Miami will sit him out tomorrow to give him two full days rest before their 2 game series with Oakland starting next week Tuesday. IMO 

I'll believe it when I see him in the lineup Tuesday.

Ive had like 2 players this season say they were good to go in a day and then sit out/go on the DL

How a guy with so much power and athleticism can look SO bad at the plate so often is beyond me.  I dont think he is ever going to put up that "wow" season. 

16 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

How a guy with so much power and athleticism can look SO bad at the plate so often is beyond me.  I dont think he is ever going to put up that "wow" season. 

He's having a pretty great year.  Career 540 slugging, 551 this year.  Not really sure what you want. If he had a hot streak any time soon, it'd be a pretty wow season. Unless you mean like 60 HR. 

3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

He's having a pretty great year.  Career 540 slugging, 551 this year.  Not really sure what you want. If he had a hot streak any time soon, it'd be a pretty wow season. Unless you mean like 60 HR. 

Still doesnt negate that he looks lost at the plate a lot of the time, like hes swinging with his eyes closed.  The wow year for me would have to be at least 45 hr and over 100 rbi with a .280 ish avg.  What I would really like to see is less flailing strikeouts and some more productive outs when he can drive a guy in with less than two outs. 

Edited by jdbob11

27 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Maybe just need to temper expectations?  .357 OBP and 20 HRs....that's better numbers than Betts, Arenado, and Machado, and even Arenado is only one of those three with more RBI than GS.  Feels like everyone sees Judge putting up video game stats and expects all power guys to do that.  Just need some perspective man...Stanton been very good this year.

Edited by Yceman1234

5 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Still doesnt negate that he looks lost at the plate a lot of the time, like hes swinging with his eyes closed.  The wow year for me would have to b at least 45 hr and over 100 rbi with a .280 ish avg.  What I would really like to see is less flailing strikeouts and some more productive outs when he can drive a guy in with less than two outs. 

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.

His  pace for this season is currently 43 HR, 106 RBI 270 average.  

Edited by brockpapersizer

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.

His adjusted projection for this season is currently 43 HR, 106 RBI 270 average.  

Projections like that dont last when you are only hitting one HR a week.  His last multi hr week (3) was the week ending 6/4.

21 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Projections like that dont last when you are only hitting one HR a week.  His last multi hr week (3) was the week ending 6/4.

I mean they are his pace numbers I don't know what you're talking about. I actually don't remember him scoring a ton of those homers in a short span, it's been somewhat evenly spread over 70 games. I'm sure he had a hot spurt with like 3-4 in a short time. That will happen again.

Do you think something changed that drastically with one of the best power hitters in the league that he's incapable of keeping his pace (outside of injury)? If he gets hot, he could easily outproduce his pace. Easily.

So I think you just need to ride this one out. He's been very good. He's had an over 900 ops in both may and June. So  I'm not even sure what you're talking about. He's had a bad week or something?

If he was in a good home park he probably would be putting up those wow numbers, instead you'll have to settle for just great.

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

I mean they are his pace numbers I don't know what you're talking about. I actually don't remember him scoring a ton of those homers in a short span, it's been somewhat evenly spread over 70 games. I'm sure he had a hot spurt with like 3-4 in a short time. That will happen again.

Do you think something changed that drastically with one of the best power hitters in the league that he's incapable of keeping his pace (outside of injury)? If he gets hot, he could easily outproduce his pace. Easily.

So I think you just need to ride this one out. He's been very good. He's had a 900 ops in both may and June. So  I'm not even sure what you're talking about. He's had a bad week or something?

Try 2 out of the last 3 and going on 3 out of the last 4 with the way he looks tonight.  He did get a 3 HR week a couple weeks ago I didnt see at first. 

2 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Try 2 out of the last 3 and going on 3 out of the last 4 with the way he looks tonight.  He did get a 3 HR week a couple weeks ago I didnt see at first. 

So half a month of being bad and still has over a 900 ops? If that's true he had to have been pretty ridiculous the other two weeks.

2 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

So half a month of being bad and still has a 900 ops? If that's true he had to have been pretty ridiculous the other two weeks.

Yes if one 3 hr week and two 1 hr weeks count as ridiculously good then hes been ridiculously good 

7 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

So half a month of being bad and still has over a 900 ops? If that's true he had to have been pretty ridiculous the other two weeks.

You're talking to somebody who plays H2H, doesn't realize that 2 HR/week would equal 52 HR, and doesn't realize how streaks work in a 162 game season. 

You've done well, but honestly I'd just give up. I've tried with this dude. 

Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

You're talking to somebody who plays H2H, doesn't realize that 2 HR/week would equal 52 HR, and doesn't realize how streaks work in a 162 game season. 

You've done well, but honestly I'd just give up. I've tried with this dude. 

13th week of the season times 2 hr a week would be 26.  I think your math is a bit off there "guru"

9 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

13th week of the season times 2 hr a week would be 26.  I think your math is a bit off there "guru"

End of season pace, sport. 

7 minutes ago, amcsoldier said:

Let it lie, 2Balls. He just proved your point better than you ever could.

You're saying 2 HR/week in a 26 week, 162 game season, isn't 52 HRs?

Lol wut ?

4 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Lol wut ?

Higher math. ?

5 hours ago, amcsoldier said:

Let it lie, 2Balls. He just proved your point better than you ever could.

I prefer 2Balls to keep hanging in this thread.  There's literally zero to f***** complain about with Giancarlo this season.  He's been healthy.  He's pacing for his best season ever.  He's a long established streaky slugger.  He isn't ever going to compete for a batting title.  So what good does it do to come in and bitch about a guy who's been fantastic this season.  Save the bumps of frustration for guys like Johnny villar who got wallypipped by a dude who looks like he should be showing Metsfan where to return his Tom Emanski VHS tapes at the local library.

22 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Lol wut ?

No no no... I meant that his little "computation" proved your point that he is only thinking week to week and doesn't/can't think of performance on a more macro level. Nothing screams "H2H" player more than complaining about the past 15 AB. Nothing screams "converted FFB" player more than expecting your studs to produce in every single outing. (And this is coming from someone who got started playing FFB and now plays in H2H leagues!). Stanton's having a great season. If the fantasy gods offered to lock in his current rate of production for the remainder of the season, I'd book it without thinking twice.