bonezi89

Jrue Holiday 2016-2017 Season Outlook

Deja Vu, except this time not health related.

He was an absolute stud down the stretch last year (before he went down) and can be had this year around the 8th-9th rounds.  Potential championship winner if he comes back in December as anticipated and (big if) stays alive for ROS.  Who is rolling the dice and where in the draft?

Any chance he misses the entire season because of his family issues? Prayers and wishes go out to his family ofcourse.

21 minutes ago, snerpy said:

Any chance he misses the entire season because of his family issues? Prayers and wishes go out to his family ofcourse.

This is my biggest concern. Wouldn't want to hold a guy for months for him to miss the season.

Just now, PhillyBoy said:

This is my biggest concern. Wouldn't want to hold a guy for months for him to miss the season.

Yeah, its not an injury so there's no real timetable. I'm staying away from Jrue at least this season. All aboard the Timmy F train.

I got him for $2 in an auction draft, so clearly not many are buying.  If the cost is low, I think it's worth it if you have an IR spot.  Our league has one, and he's eligible for it.

9 hours ago, snerpy said:

Yeah, its not an injury so there's no real timetable. I'm staying away from Jrue at least this season. All aboard the Timmy F train.

If you can TF in the same roster as Jrue, it's a good play. Costs two lower picks instead of one higher one though.

Thinking about drafting him in round 10 about pick 120 in my 12 team league, seems like it's worth a shot consider we have an IR spot.

have to hope the surgery goes smooth and his wife tells him to get his butt back on the court...

He will go around 90-100 especially in leagues with an IR. If he slips past that, you have to take him. He's coming in healthy, not returning from an injury.

So what do you guys recommend if you don't have an IR spot, especially in deep leagues?  Obviously no one knows when he's coming back, but as soon as you hear any sort of rumors or rumblings about a return, everyone will be rushing to the WW to grab him.

1 hour ago, jmoney23 said:

So what do you guys recommend if you don't have an IR spot, especially in deep leagues?  Obviously no one knows when he's coming back, but as soon as you hear any sort of rumors or rumblings about a return, everyone will be rushing to the WW to grab him.

h2h daily DND; h2h weekly, yes.  roto, yes.  Keep in mind, Jrue will clog your IR for probably 30-40 games leaving little wiggle room for your injury prone studs. contract year :rolleyes:.  

Edited by patentboy23

59 minutes ago, patentboy23 said:

h2h daily DND; h2h weekly, yes.  roto, yes.  Keep in mind, Jrue will clog your IR for probably 30-40 games leaving little wiggle room for your injury prone studs. contract year :rolleyes:.  

So in H2H daily, if he's on the WW post-draft, do you grab him the second you hearing rumblings on if/when he's coming back to the Pelicans?

You have to consider in Yahoo he is ranked around 90-100, so if there is an auto-drafter in your room he is getting picked for sure. I would draft him in a 12 team daily league. Everyone talks about gambling on upside in the late rounds, give me a guy who has played at a top 50 level on multiple occasions vs. a mostly unproven young guy like the Buddy Hields and Josh Richardsons. People are taking D'Angelo Russel in rounds 4/5 now, you can get similar production from Jrue (less 3s, better %s) at round 10? Sign me up.

He is best suited for leagues with IR spots and handcuffing Tim Frazier in the later rounds. Definitely a stud on the court but he just seems to have some sort of curse..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmy3024 said:

Is he worth spending the no1 waiver in a dynasty league?

I wouldn't unless you had an IR spot. I don't see him coming back anytime soon.

It's interesting to hear all the speculation on him, and I wonder how much people have researched what his wife (Lauren) has. I own him in Dynasty so I have done some of this research. Now I'm no doctor and, yes the sources are all from the internet, but I still think it gives a decent picture. First of all her tumour is a benign tumour which means its not cancerous. 

Her surgery was slated to be 6 weeks after she gave birth which was on September 24th, and her surgery around that second week of November. I also looked at what the average recovery is for someone who had brain surgery is. It was usually between 2-6 weeks depending on the side effects from the surgery, how early the tumour was discovered and the position of the tumour. Let's assume it's 6 weeks, that would put Holiday returning around Christmas time. Healthy wife, healthy baby at that point, why wouldn't he return?

Another thing, after the surgery do we think that Jrue is the sole caretaker for his wife and child? I would think not! I'm betting family on both sides will be there to care for both her and the child. 

So I for one would be surprised if he missed the whole season assuming (God-willing) everything goes well with the surgery and recovery and if he's sitting on waivers and you have 2 IR spots (yahoo) you absolutely need to grab him!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Slickthenick said:

It's interesting to hear all the speculation on him, and I wonder how much people have researched what his wife (Lauren) has. I own him in Dynasty so I have done some of this research. Now I'm no doctor and, yes the sources are all from the internet, but I still think it gives a decent picture. First of all her tumour is a benign tumour which means its not cancerous. 

Her surgery was slated to be 6 weeks after she gave birth which was on September 24th, and her surgery around that second week of November. I also looked at what the average recovery is for someone who had brain surgery is. It was usually between 2-6 weeks depending on the side effects from the surgery, how early the tumour was discovered and the position of the tumour. Let's assume it's 6 weeks, that would put Holiday returning around Christmas time. Healthy wife, healthy baby at that point, why wouldn't he return?

Another thing, after the surgery do we think that Jrue is the sole caretaker for his wife and child? I would think not! I'm betting family on both sides will be there to care for both her and the child. 

So I for one would be surprised if he missed the whole season assuming (God-willing) everything goes well with the surgery and recovery and if he's sitting on waivers and you have 2 IR spots (yahoo) you absolutely need to grab him!

I think you have to factor in the emotional side. Wife and baby is a lot of stress and no one blames him if he takes some extra time off. Yeah sure you can plant a caretaker there but Jrue might be a guy that wants to personally look after his family over his job? I would add a a week or 2 to your timeline and also factor in that he will need to get into 100% shape.

A Frazier and Jrue strat is good though if you can pull it off, especially with IR. I have advocated this strategy in the Frazier thread.

• Like 1

That's a good point, I didn't think about the emotional side of it all. I could see an extra week or two in a scenario where she needs a good 6 weeks of recovery. I think the point though is that a lot of guys on here and on reddit forum are really pushing the "he won't play this season" language and I just don't see it. In fact him only playing half the season could be a blessing in disguise, come fantasy playoff time when he won't have the same wear and tear he might normally have in a full season. 

I like the Frazier strategy as well, but also like a streaming strategy in weekly H2H, that way you maximize games or land the WW pickup of the year if you're lucky

4 hours ago, Slickthenick said:

Just want to add two points:

1) Lauren was an elite athlete, so she is probably tougher than average women mentally and physically and have a shorter recovery time (I might be totally wrong).

2)Jrue is 26, in his prime, and becoming a URF next summer. I think the best for a man to support his family is working hard to get a max contract and secure his family's future financially first. 

I think a return right after Christmas is very likely.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rubio1990 said:

Just want to add two points:

1) Lauren was an elite athlete, so she is probably tougher than average women mentally and physically and have a shorter recovery time (I might be totally wrong).

2)Jrue is 26, in his prime, and becoming a URF next summer. I think the best for a man to support his family is working hard to get a max contract and secure his family's future financially first. 

I think a return right after Christmas is very likely.

They are good points so I think Jrue can really come back early or late.

About point 2 though, makes sense for the average Joe but this guy making millions and this is something money can't buy. He probably won't take a ridiculous amount of time off but he probably don't have a timetable himself. I wouldn't hold Jrue unless I get TF or Etauwn Moore.

Edited by rob0403

5 hours ago, Slickthenick said:

Glazed over this...in DYNASTY. What the hell is he doing on waivers?! Lol

Seconded.. no idea what someone was doing letting Jrue hit waivers in dynasty.. unless you only have an 8-man roster or something, that boggles my mind. 

AD and the Pels really need this guy. I'm hoping everything in his personal life turns out ok so that he can get back on the court. November, if you're a Pels fan, might be real rough. In December though, it would be nice to see NO get Tyreke and Jrue back around the same time.