Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

burninglegs

2016 NFL TV Ratings and the Future

Didn't see another thread to fit this, so if the mods know of a better thread please move it. 

Lots of talk about the poor product NFL has put forth so far this season. Ratings are showing viewers are significantly down after week 4 and appear the same for after week 5. 

o3XSyke.jpg

NFL Ratings Set To Drop Again In Week 5 As NFL Downplays The Problem

BOSTON (CBS) — The NFL has a ratings problem. The causes are many, and the leading cause is certainly up for debate. But that isn’t stopping the NFL from denying that the problem has some controversial undercurrents – or that the problem exists in the first place.

Sunday Night Football between the Green Bay Packers and New York Giants drew a 10.2 overnight rating as it mostly went up against the second presidential debate, according to Sports Media Watch. It’s a steep drop from 13.1 in Week 5 of the 2015 season and the lowest overnight rating since Week 8 of the 2013 season.

The presidential debate, and the 2016 election season, are no doubt cutting into TV ratings for everyone, not just the NFL. But for an 11 percent overall drop through the first four weeks of 2016 that is likely to deepen after Week 5? Seems more like a convenient excuse.

Yet, here’s the NFL sending an internal memo to all 32 teams reassuring them that the ratings are nothing to worry about. “There is no question that unprecedented interest in the Presidential election is impacting primetime ratings,” reads the letter from NFL reps Brian Rolapp and Howard Katz. Curiously, the letter brings up the effect that the backlash over the growing national anthem protests among players is having on the ratings, which they dismissed.

“Finally, it is worth noting that we see no evidence that concern over player protests during the National Anthem is having any material impact on ratings. In fact, our own data shows that perception of the NFL and its players is actually up in 2016.”

Surely the fans are going to trust “data” coming from within the NFL. They never lie about anything. … 

In all seriousness, the league itself may have no evidence, but I certainly do … from the hundreds of fans who literally told me they stopped watching the NFL because they were sick of the anthem protests and the injection of politics into NFL games in the first place. Is the anthem protest backlash the onlycause of the ratings decline? No. It is most certainly a confluence of a lot of different issues. But to simply deny that there is a segment of the ever-crucial 18-49 demographic that saw the anthem protests as a “last straw” kind of moment that made them turn the channel on the NFL’s diminished on-field product is to demonstrate that you are out-of-touch with your own customers. A chunk of them, anyway.

The Sporting News reported last Thursday that the “Kaepernick Effect” is actually starting to hit the league in the wallets. The four major NFL broadcast networks – CBS, FOX, NBC, and ESPN – will pay about $5 billion per year for rights to broadcast games through 2021, yet sources told The Sporting News that those networks are actually starting to give some money back to advertisers with what are commonly known as “make-good” deals.

I feel like a broken record saying this, but a loss of ad revenue is one of the only ways to spring the NFL into action if you want to engender any kind of change. There’s no question that the games themselves are less watchable than in recent seasons with the lack of star power, but that’s no excuse for a Sunday Night Football game that featured two Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks (Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning) and one of the league’s most dynamic wide receivers who is also a lightning rod for controversy (Odell Beckham Jr.).

The presence of the election will inevitably cut into the numbers for every primetime program, but most NFL viewers tune in to escape politics – are they changing the channel for … politics? And does this mean that the NFL is predicting a big ratings spike the Sunday after Election Day? If that doesn’t happen, then what will they say?

The NFL allowed players to exercise their freedom of speech rights by protesting the national anthem, fans are in turn exercising their same rights by changing the channel, and yet the league continues to deny that the boycotts over the anthem protests are having any effect on the ratings. Is it the only cause of the 11 percent (and growing) decline? No. But it’s one of the causes, a significant one, and one that could be permanent if the league continues to sweep the issue under the rug. This is not the first season that the NFL has had to deal with a watered-down product, alternatives to cable subscriptions, or even an election year.

The anthem protests are the only variable that did not exist before this season, yet the league is trying to tell you it’s a non-factor? Even if the backlash is not a big-enough factor for an 11-percent drop in the NFL ratings, it’s a factor. An escapist-entertainment league wouldn’t let its own fans escape on Sundays, and it’s costing them.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/10/10/nfl-ratings-set-to-drop-again-in-week-5-as-nfl-downplays-the-problem/

Nothing is more important to the Shield than $$$. How long until we see some changes moving forward?

I wonder if they realize a lot of new fans to the NFL are that of the new generation (internet) and stream.  I'm sure that is the case in the EU too where game pass might be their only means.

I just hate commercials after EVERY DAMN PUNT OR KICK OFF. Im so used to sunday ticket and redzone so i am always watching games and never commercials. Than when a MNF or SNF or TNF comes on, ******** commericals every minute. 

Have less commercials between punts. 

Does Sunday Ticket streamers count toward ratings? Could be the problem, as that is all everyone in my league uses... Not sure though. Not too educated on the topic. 

I don't think this is a surprise.

1) Oversaturation.  One of the biggest draws to the NFL is the fact that it is only played once a week.  It's not baseball, basketball, or hockey where if you miss one game you can catch one tomorrow.  If you miss a NFL game you missed 1/16 of the season and have to go two weeks without watching a game.  Now the games are on Thursday, Sunday, Monday..sometimes Saturday.  Then you have the 24/7 coverage from ESPN and all the other sports networks it's just like enough.

2) With that said, the product is garbage.  If it wasn't for fantasy I probably wouldn't watch football either.  Players can't tackle.  They aren't good at basic fundamentals. Too many damn commercials and too many damn flags.  If it's third down and there is a pass you have to look for flags every time.  If you breathe on a QB wrong it's a penalty.  Just makes for sloppy football.

3) Goodell is a villain and everyone sees through his hypocrisy. 

Just my opinion. 

My question is do they account for people streaming games?  Last year you couldn't stream the thursday, sunday night games or fox's sunday games on apple tv.  

Goodell is killing the golden goose with Thursday games, London games, China games, Mexico games, and constantly  tinkering with the rules on kickoffs, overtime, what is a catch, extra points, injured reserve, injury reports, practice squad, etc. 

I only watch the RedZone Channel for the day games on Sunday. I'm sure a lot of others are doing the same. I can't ever go back to watching "regular" games with the same half dozen commercials repeated 10 times each over the course of the day. It's bad enough having to sit through them on Thursday, Sunday and Monday evenings as it is. Plus, fantasy reasons.

RedZone Channel for life.

Football is a very poor product to watch live.  The games take forever.  Most of the game is watching the clock wind, kickoffs for inevitable touchbacks, injur timeouts, commercials all the time, etc.  From the time a TD is scored, it's about nine minutes before something of note happens.  You have a TD, then an extra point (watch or don't, you'll find out whether the guy made it when you next look at the score), then a commercial break, then a kickoff which is kneeled down, then another commercial break.

In today's society of DVRs, social media, internet content, on demand media, etc., it's garbage to spend 3.5 hours watching a game.  

The only way to watch pro football is on Red Zone or on DVR (so the game takes an hour to watch).

The only thing worse than watching live on TV is being at the stadium.  

It can be so random week to week. The game last night was terrible- Gruden was spot on about terrible plays and penalties. Injuries to star players also don't help. 

48 minutes ago, suckmyforte said:

I just hate commercials after EVERY DAMN PUNT OR KICK OFF. Im so used to sunday ticket and redzone so i am always watching games and never commercials. Than when a MNF or SNF or TNF comes on, ******** commericals every minute. 

Have less commercials between punts. 

This this oh and definitely this. SO annoying.

31 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Goodell is killing the golden goose with Thursday games, London games, China games, Mexico games, and constantly  tinkering with the rules on kickoffs, overtime, what is a catch, extra points, injured reserve, injury reports, practice squad, etc. 

I agree.  Some guys at my workplace the other day were all complaining about TNF.  When they started TNF a few years ago it was to get people to watch NFL Network (read: it was a way to pressure cable companies to pick up NFL Network).  There's no reason for that any more and the games are now on regular TV.  Furthermore, when they started it up it was only a few games a year.  That was much better than what we have now.  

The conclusion we came to is that they should either get rid of TNF entirely (with the exception of the opening game and the Thanksgiving night game) or go back to a small package.  That package would include the opening game, Thanksgiving night, and games that exist only on the "no bye" weeks at the end of the season (this year that would be weeks 14 through 16).  To play TNF through the byes just doesn't leave enough games for Sunday and results in some bad television.

Thursday is too soon to both mentally and physically prepare for a football game. Thursday night games should only feature teams that are coming off a bye week. 

Also, the salary cap is causing teams to load up on young players who are inexperienced because it doesn't make financial sense to pay for veterans. This leads to the poor fundamentals we see every week.

In addition to everyone else's complaints, the play reviews take way too long, it's too easy to throw the challenge flag, and too many plays are reversed.  The announcers usually figure out the right call after about 15 seconds by rewatching the play twice.  Then they cut to several minutes of commercials, only for the officials to come back out and confirm what the announcers just said.  If it's a scoring play and the call is upheld, then it's another 10 minutes before anything happens again.

They need to speed up the process on scoring plays, and penalize teams more for bad challenge flags.

I have to wonder if that article in the OP is somehow politically motivated. The idea that any of the recent protests has hurt ratings is ridiculous at best. Even the most committed bigots likely still watch just to moan about the "lack of respect". At best this article is misguided and inaccurate, at worst it has some foul political and racial undertones. 

If anything I would think ratings are down just because a lot of the matchups in prime time have stunk. Most have been mismatches that result in the game getting out of hand early on.  Generally people aren't lining up to watch Ryan Tannehill struggle to throw for 150 yards, or watch a game where you could crown the winner at half time. 

I also find game times to be difficult to schedule around. This could just be my personal situation, but I find it difficult to spend half my weekend watching football when the weather is still relatively nice, and things need to be done. The prime time games are also on later on the east coast, and it's hard for me to stay up that late on work nights. 

The protests are a complete joke to the impartial observer, but completely understandable given the overall zeitgeist in America.  The pink everywhere is an insult.  Breast cancer is overfunded relative to other cancers, so this just boils down to one of more bizarre forms of feminism.

As for the actual product, the biggest problems are too much parity and too much player movement (free agency).  Smart franchises are punished too harshly for their success.

I've started only watching redzone. I'll still go to games but I can't watch one game on tv anymore. Every 3 seconds is a commercial it's unbearable. I understand the NFL is a business that needs to make money but it's gotten obnoxious.

I don't watch MNF or TNF unless I'm watching it with a group of people at a bar and at that point I'm not really watching it

18 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I also find game times to be difficult to schedule around. This could just be my personal situation, but I find it difficult to spend half my weekend watching football when the weather is still relatively nice, and things need to be done. The prime time games are also on later on the east coast, and it's hard for me to stay up that late on work nights. 

This ^^

I have a 2 year old and he wants to go to the pumpkin patch or the State Fair to ride ponies or visit his aunt's farm or go to a friend's birthday party where they have cake and a bouncy castle.  He doesn't want his dad sitting on a couch or at a sportsbar for hours on a sunny Sunday.  Nap time, though...;D

18 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I have to wonder if that article in the OP is somehow politically motivated. The idea that any of the recent protests has hurt ratings is ridiculous at best. Even the most committed bigots likely still watch just to moan about the "lack of respect". At best this article is misguided and inaccurate, at worst it has some foul political and racial undertones. 

My thoughts exactly, it's quite clear the author takes issue with the anthem protests.  This article is not objective at all.  To suggest that the anthem protests have anything to do with a reduction in ratings without a shred of evidence to suggest that is the case is silly.

If they're going to do the pink breast cancer thing, they need to expand on that and do more for other causes. Otherwise knock it off and wear regular uniforms.

P.S. agree with a lot of the above posters!!

8 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

This ^^

I have a 2 year old and he wants to go to the pumpkin patch or the State Fair to ride ponies or visit his aunt's farm or go to a friend's birthday party where they have cake and a bouncy castle.  He doesn't want his dad sitting on a couch or at a sportsbar for hours on a sunny Sunday.  Nap time, though...;D

Exactly. I know children are nothing new, but I think fathers are becoming more involved these days. The days of your dad sitting on the couch all weekend pounding beers is fading away. I like football, but I'd rather spend the time with my kids. 

And to add to this, football games aren't especially kid friendly, and it's a boring sport for most kids. I'd much rather take my kids to a baseball game or hockey game. 

14 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

The protests are a complete joke to the impartial observer, but completely understandable given the overall zeitgeist in America.  The pink everywhere is an insult.  Breast cancer is overfunded relative to other cancers, so this just boils down to one of more bizarre forms of feminism.

You're insulted by the NFL trying to raise funds and awareness of breast cancer? That's just strange. I would also think research done for breast cancer would be very relevant to any other types of cancer, but I'm no doctor.