Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

burninglegs

2016 NFL TV Ratings and the Future

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

 

You're insulted by the NFL trying to raise funds and awareness of breast cancer? That's just strange. I would also think research done for breast cancer would be very relevant to any other types of cancer, but I'm no doctor. 

The NFL isn't trying to raise funds for breast cancer they're trying to raise ratings. I'm tired of people constantly shoving "awareness" in everyone's faces as if they're not just trying to get attention or in the NFL's case viewers. I don't have a problem with people raising funds for research. I have a problem with people pretending they care to make themselves look good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that so many people are saying they only watch RZ or that RZ is the greatest thing ever goes to my point that fantasy drives a lot of the ratings.  Why do people watch RZ.  To see teams score.  Why do they want to see teams score..most likely for their fantasy players. 

 

Me personally, I like to watch entire games live.  At home, not at the stadium, but live and as they are happening.

 

I do agree with someone's point and would but it as 4..all these stupid rule changes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

I have to wonder if that article in the OP is somehow politically motivated. The idea that any of the recent protests has hurt ratings is ridiculous at best. Even the most committed bigots likely still watch just to moan about the "lack of respect". At best this article is misguided and inaccurate, at worst it has some foul political and racial undertones.

 

Preach on brother.  I'm so glad you posted this here, because I come to rotoworld for all of my sociopolitical commentary.  If anyone is offended by anti-American protests, the league forcing a team to draft a homosexual, or grown men being forced to wear pink for a month......they surely wouldn’t stop watching.  Anyone who even mentions such a thing is clearly a bigoted, racist, sexist, privileged cis-male who condones sexual assault and locker room talk.

 

It’s been a long hard push for equality in the national football league.  Sure, the Rams drafted Michael Sam and ruined the dreams of some cis-male who wasn’t drafted…but then they cut Sam for no reason.  Clearly he was going to be the best football player ever, but the heteronormative NFL just couldn’t deal with Sam’s sexual preference.

 

I am amazed at the reactionary stance bigots have towards Kaepernick’s protest.  After nearly fifteen years of having combat troops overseas I’m sure people would understand those troops were fighting for an attention whore to have the right to disrespect them while they’re just trying to watch a football game.

 

Until we have true equality in the NFL, we must fight on.  We will virtue signal each other on every media format possible, and call anyone who disagrees with us names.  Just remember, we’re fighting evil bigots so anything we do is A-OK as long as it’s for “social justice”.  I’m sure we’ll live to see the day where the Detroit Dykes face off against the New England Equality in a multi-gender NFL flag football game, and I bet the ratings will be through the roof!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've hypothesized for the last couple years that injuries are the root of the NFL's problem.

 

Injuries hit the NFL from multiple angles:

 

--Every time a player gets injured the game goes to a commercial break--more injuries, more commercials. And no one likes commercials.

 

--Injuries deprive the NFL of "star power", whether it be through notable players missing games here and there, retiring early, or just having shorter career lifespans on average. For one, the league used to be full of marketable, "star" running backs. Now there's a RBBC on every team (and even those guys get injured). Tiki Barber was more entertaining to watch than Jennings/Darkwa/Vereen/Rainey/Perkins!

 

--With guys having shorter careers and not being able to stay healthy not only are NFL clubs deprived of marketable stars but they need to wade out deeper in the talent pool to simply find bodies. This results in UDFAs and guys off the street having meaningful roles while the level of play suffers. An example: last night Jacquizz Rodgers--a running back signed off the street a month ago--had 30 carries. Meanwhile in the same game did you see the Bucs were playing a lineman who in the past three weeks had been released by two teams (btw, the Bucs lineman? he got injured).

 

--The NFL gone out of their way to enforce passer-friend rules in order to protect the QB from injury. This has made it much easier for the top-end QBs to score points and accumulate big leads, which I think later in the game gives rise to garbage time--and hurts the product.

 

--Other rule changes to suppress injury (eg, moving the kickoff) have hurt the integrity of the game as well--I don't believe longtime fans of the sport appreciate new rules every year.

 

--With all the information made public about the consequences of concussions and other injuries I think more people deep down inside can't truly fully "enjoy" watching the sport, whereas before we were all blithely unaware. For myself personally, when I see a vicious open field hit now I cringe whereas a decade ago I'd probably be jumping on my sofa and pumping my chest screaming in excitement.

 

--Longer run, the threat of injuries deplete the pipeline of talent as more children and young athletes elect not to pursue the sport.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Iron-cock said:

 

Preach on brother.  I'm so glad you posted this here, because I come to rotoworld for all of my sociopolitical commentary.  If anyone is offended by anti-American protests, the league forcing a team to draft a homosexual, or grown men being forced to wear pink for a month......they surely wouldn’t stop watching.  Anyone who even mentions such a thing is clearly a bigoted, racist, sexist, privileged cis-male who condones sexual assault and locker room talk.

 

It’s been a long hard push for equality in the national football league.  Sure, the Rams drafted Michael Sam and ruined the dreams of some cis-male who wasn’t drafted…but then they cut Sam for no reason.  Clearly he was going to be the best football player ever, but the heteronormative NFL just couldn’t deal with Sam’s sexual preference.

 

I am amazed at the reactionary stance bigots have towards Kaepernick’s protest.  After nearly fifteen years of having combat troops overseas I’m sure people would understand those troops were fighting for an attention whore to have the right to disrespect them while they’re just trying to watch a football game.

 

Until we have true equality in the NFL, we must fight on.  We will virtue signal each other on every media format possible, and call anyone who disagrees with us names.  Just remember, we’re fighting evil bigots so anything we do is A-OK as long as it’s for “social justice”.  I’m sure we’ll live to see the day where the Detroit Dykes face off against the New England Equality in a multi-gender NFL flag football game, and I bet the ratings will be through the roof!

 

I'm so glad all of us hetero white males have strong, brave folk like yourself standing up for our rights! First it's pink gloves and kneeling during the anthem, and next thing you know your sons will catch the homosexuality disease and the military will disband. 

 

Thank you, brave manly man!  Go forth and spread your great wisdom. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

 

I'm so glad all of us hetero white males

 

You have misgendered me which is a microaggression.  In this post-gender world I identify as a non-binary gender.  Specifically I have found I am attracted to spreadsheets.  The gender I go by is "Excelsexual".  Some men like pie, I just like pi.

 

I will be awaiting your apology.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

 

I'm so glad all of us hetero white males have strong, brave folk like yourself standing up for our rights! First it's pink gloves and kneeling during the anthem, and next thing you know your sons will catch the homosexuality disease and the military will disband. 

 

Thank you, brave manly man!  Go forth and spread your great wisdom. 

 

 

username checks out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I know it's sacrilege, but fantasy football has turned the sport into a god@mn joke I'm sorry.

 

We now have a two-hour fantasy football pre-game show on ESPN every Sunday.... That celeb mock draft with Bobby Flay...Those DFS commercials.

 

What would your grandfather think if he was alive and watched Matthew Berry's show on Sunday morning? Occasionally I turn it on and think: what the heck happened?

 

Everyone and their mother is playing fantasy football now. How many people actually appreciate the sport anymore?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

I have to wonder if that article in the OP is somehow politically motivated. The idea that any of the recent protests has hurt ratings is ridiculous at best. Even the most committed bigots likely still watch just to moan about the "lack of respect". At best this article is misguided and inaccurate, at worst it has some foul political and racial undertones. 

 

If anything I would think ratings are down just because a lot of the matchups in prime time have stunk. Most have been mismatches that result in the game getting out of hand early on.  Generally people aren't lining up to watch Ryan Tannehill struggle to throw for 150 yards, or watch a game where you could crown the winner at half time. 

 

I also find game times to be difficult to schedule around. This could just be my personal situation, but I find it difficult to spend half my weekend watching football when the weather is still relatively nice, and things need to be done. The prime time games are also on later on the east coast, and it's hard for me to stay up that late on work nights. 

I agree with this. The Sunday day games have had a slight drop. The night games have all sucked and require TV packages. I've watched the TNF games on Twitter and when it was on CBS. I think the ratings drop for MNF might be primarily due to the fact nobody is paying for ESPN anymore. Now that DirectTV removed it from its basic package what's the point. Most people aren't going to pay 30 bucks for ESPN. Especially since they are gutting all their talent. I blame ESPN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The comments about the commercials are 110% right.  The double commercial break (commercial after a TD, then another break after the ensuing kickoff) is painful.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

The comments about the commercials are 110% right.  The double commercial break (commercial after a TD, then another break after the ensuing kickoff) is painful.


 

 

Despise those. 

 

Causes channel changing. More cannabis usage these days and poof next thing they know they've been watching the discovery channel for thirty minutes. 

 

;):D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

 

You have misgendered me which is a microaggression.  In this post-gender world I identify as a non-binary gender.  Specifically I have found I am attracted to spreadsheets.  The gender I go by is "Excelsexual".  Some men like pie, I just like pi.

 

I will be awaiting your apology.

 

This comes as no surprise to anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lolcopter said:

 

username checks out

LOL'd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodell is the root of all evil when it comes to what's going with the NFL. He's taken the golden goose and slowly started to run it into the ground. 

 

1. Oversaturation/Greed: Thursday nights need to abolished. Bad for viewers, bad for players.

2. No Fun League: It's real, and it's boring. Antonio Brown should be able to hug a goal post or twerk if he scores a TD. Give me a break. 

3. No Fun League/Dictatorship: Teams now can't even share GIFs or video clips of their own players, unless it comes from Commissioner Dictator's office? You gotta be kidding me. 

4. Transparency: Or lack thereof. I don't think I really need to get into this one too much. 

5. Commercials: They're bad enough sitting through at the stadium, they're even worse sitting at home with a bunch of other options to flip to or do. 

 

There's more, but these are my main points, as they've also been brought out by others as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The debates have been on during some of the games and people would rather see two dumper fires fighting to be the next president than watch football.

 

I choose football... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

 

I'm so glad all of us hetero white males have strong, brave folk like yourself standing up for our rights! First it's pink gloves and kneeling during the anthem, and next thing you know your sons will catch the homosexuality disease and the military will disband. 

 

Thank you, brave manly man!  Go forth and spread your great wisdom. 

 

hahaha..I concur. Right on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time I think of the NFL, it brings to mind a line in the Seinfeld episode where George Costanza is pitching his and Jerry's "show about nothing" to NBC.

 

GEORGE (describing the show): No, no, no. Nothing happens.

JERRY: Well, something happens.

RUSSELL (NBC exec): Well, why am I watching it?

GEORGE: Because it's on TV.
 

Seems to sum up the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

 

You're insulted by the NFL trying to raise funds and awareness of breast cancer? That's just strange. I would also think research done for breast cancer would be very relevant to any other types of cancer, but I'm no doctor. 

The amount of funding that breast cancer "awareness" generates is very disproportionate compared to the cases and severity of the type of cancer. Also, Susan G Komen is notorious for having very little of the donations actually going to research. 

The partnering with the NFL is nothing more than a grand marketing ploy to generate revenue while making people feel good about themselves. I've learned that anything the NFL says is most likely said to generate money for them (can't blame them for that. Who doesn't like money?). It's the same thing with their support the troops campaigns and the coming home celebrations. They make bank on those but people don't care because they feel good for it. NFL and their teams could literally do the same stuff for no cost to them yet they make the armed forces pay for the right to have a coming home party. 

October is no different. They get money from their awareness donations and "supporting" the cause but in reality, they are in it for the money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do fantasy addicts / sports bettors actually watch NFL games anymore or do they just periodically check their mobile devices for updates while doing something else entirely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 3:42 PM, omgwtfmate said:

Thursday is too soon to both mentally and physically prepare for a football game. Thursday night games should only feature teams that are coming off a bye week. 

 

Also, the salary cap is causing teams to load up on young players who are inexperienced because it doesn't make financial sense to pay for veterans. This leads to the poor fundamentals we see every week.

 

This this this this this to both your points.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Do fantasy addicts / sports bettors actually watch NFL games anymore or do they just periodically check their mobile devices for updates while doing something else entirely?

 

I can only speak for myself...I'm watching every minute. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprise I missed this. It goes hand in hand with my these that injuries are killing the sport:

 

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-shrinking-shelf-life-of-nfl-players-1456694959

 

"According to data from Pro-Football-Reference.com, NFL careers are shrinking at an unprecedented rate. From 2008 to 2014, the average NFL career dropped in length by about two and a half years.

 

The decrease in career lengths is a historical abnormality. From 1991 to about 2008, career lengths were mostly consistent. But since 2008, players have been exiting the league earlier."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2016 at 9:47 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

Also, I know it's sacrilege, but fantasy football has turned the sport into a god@mn joke I'm sorry.

 

We now have a two-hour fantasy football pre-game show on ESPN every Sunday.... That celeb mock draft with Bobby Flay...Those DFS commercials.

 

What would your grandfather think if he was alive and watched Matthew Berry's show on Sunday morning? Occasionally I turn it on and think: what the heck happened?

 

Everyone and their mother is playing fantasy football now. How many people actually appreciate the sport anymore?

 

 

 

There is a reason that the NFL is America's #1 sport now.  Football can thank fantasy football for it's huge boom and surge in ratings.

 

On Fox and CBS there is pre-game that is completely devoted to the games and the players with nothing to do with Fantasy Football.  Those are also the TV stations that cover the games.  There is no reason to tune to ESPN UNLESS you want fantasy advice and information.  

Do you remember what used to be on ESPN on Sunday's before fantasy football analysis?  Bowling.  It was bowling all day as soon as the 10 AM Sports Center ended.  

 

You are also preaching hate for fantasy football in a fantasy football forum.  What are you trying to do here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.