jfazz23

Robinson Cano 2017 Outlook

54 posts in this topic

One of my favorite players

where are we thinking of taking him in 2017???  i think late 2nd early 3rd.

300/30/100 for a 2nd basemen isnt a joke.

thoughts?

39 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

If this year is the nw baseline for hitters across the board, thats a fair projection.

i know homeruns are up...but this is who he is.

i truly believe he had a serious stomach parasite that zapped him for a year.

i mean, the second half of 2015 he hit 330 with 15 homers.... id like if he didnt play in seattle, but it doesnt seem to bother him over the last year and a half

last year and a half hes hitting 308/ 54/152 with his OPS just above 900

7 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

i know homeruns are up...but this is who he is.

i truly believe he had a serious stomach parasite that zapped him for a year.

i mean, the second half of 2015 he hit 330 with 15 homers.... id like if he didnt play in seattle, but it doesnt seem to bother him over the last year and a half

last year and a half hes hitting 308/ 54/152 with his OPS just above 900

Splitting some hairs but outside of this year he's only hit 30 hr one time in the middle of his prime years in one of the best home run parks in the country.

I wouldn't set 30 as a baseline for Cano at 33 without the power spike across the board. I'd probably have set it closer to 25.

10 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Splitting some hairs but outside of this year he's only hit 30 hr one time in the middle of his prime years in one of the best home run parks in the country.

I wouldn't set 30 as a baseline for Cano at 33 without the power spike across the board. I'd probably have set it closer to 25.

Yup, 25 seems right to me. If he stays healthy I think he'll hit more like 28/29 HRs, to go along with a .295/.300 avg and another 100RBI season. He's still going to be a top 2B in 2017 and 2018, and when he stops playing 2B to DH he'll be a "poor" man's Ortiz (.285-.295, 25HRs, 90RBI kinda guy). A lot of people in my league are STILL down on him. Not sure how that'll play out in redrafts, but if he falls at all I think he's a steal.

14 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Agree with this, I mean his HR last year were more than 2014 and 15 combined.  HRs were spiked especially among middle infielders, I mean Brad Miller had 30 bombs,  I probably wouldnt take him in the 2nd round, maybe 3rd, but there are a lot of middle IF I like this year.  

3 hours ago, parrothead said:

Agree with this, I mean his HR last year were more than 2014 and 15 combined.  HRs were spiked especially among middle infielders, I mean Brad Miller had 30 bombs,  I probably wouldnt take him in the 2nd round, maybe 3rd, but there are a lot of middle IF I like this year.  

the real question is, are the homers here to stay? i think they are.  i do think baseball wound the baseballs a little more to combat the modern bullpen and to increase homerun numbers.  I dont think cano hitting 39 was a 1 year fluke.  and i think 30 homers from cano is a reasonable base.

but i agree...2nd round might be early.  id gladly take him in the 3rd....4th would be a steal.

Lots of talk about his homers being due to the possibly juiced ball this year and wondering if that'll stick. I don't think it matters. Sure he'll hit less bombs with a less juiced ball, but if the rest of the league also hits less his homers will be just as valuable

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

the real question is, are the homers here to stay? i think they are.  i do think baseball wound the baseballs a little more to combat the modern bullpen and to increase homerun numbers.  I dont think cano hitting 39 was a 1 year fluke.  and i think 30 homers from cano is a reasonable base.

but i agree...2nd round might be early.  id gladly take him in the 3rd....4th would be a steal.

Last year coming off down year, I still had him 3rd behind Altuve and Gordon (before G got suspended) this year, the issue is that guys have shown power so limits a bit, but he is still very good in 4 of 5 categories.   The one thing is with him though is that 2B is a position traditionally where you plan to get SBs so when getting him or any other power w/out SB player up the middle, you need to counter that with SBs elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, parrothead said:

Last year coming off down year, I still had him 3rd behind Altuve and Gordon (before G got suspended) this year, the issue is that guys have shown power so limits a bit, but he is still very good in 4 of 5 categories.   The one thing is with him though is that 2B is a position traditionally where you plan to get SBs so when getting him or any other power w/out SB player up the middle, you need to counter that with SBs elsewhere. 

you are right he is a 0 in SB department.  you would have to make sure you get a SS or OF that runs

Brutal start to the season. Why does this team always start off like crap? 

13 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Brutal start to the season. Why does this team always start off like crap? 

Whenever they have expectations of being good they come out and gag.  If they were expected to be last place they'd come out like gang busters.  Once they're 15-20 under and out of it expect them to catch fire and erupt.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, cdd10 said:

doesn't he always start out slow?

a/k/a struggle against good, fresh arms and under the weight of lofty expectations early in the year.

Please tell me he didn't get hurt.   Replaced by Motter.  

21 minutes ago, glascock9 said:

Please tell me he didn't get hurt.   Replaced by Motter.  

Something in his legs. Nobody really saw it. He's usually good about not overdoing things with his legs so hopefully it's nothing major. He played through that hernia in 2016 which kind of ruined his season so as a Mariners fan praying that's not going to be the case. This offense just started to really take off.

This season has been riddled with injuries. kinda tired of it already

Robinson Cano has been diagnosed with a quad strain.
Cano apparently suffered the injury while legging out his double in the top of the fourth inning, as he was replaced at second base by Taylor Motter to open the bottom of the fourth. Cano also hit a two-run homer Tuesday before exiting. He could very well be headed to the 10-day disabled lis
Edited by OrangeCrush

...and he's in today's starting lineup.  Feel free to back away from the ledge.

1 person likes this

I love this guy. He might be my favorite player. As evidenced by his 1 page thread he's clearly the most set it and forget it player in fantasy. Most of his owners probably don't even realize he came out early last night.

7 minutes ago, jmoney23 said:

...and he's in today's starting lineup.  Feel free to back away from the ledge.

Fresh breath of air right there. That doesn't mean we are out of the clear. The Mariners are really underperforming, and he may be just toughing it out. This coul still be a lingering thing or a DL thing in a week or too. But at least its good enough to play on now.