taobball

Justin Verlander 2017 Outlook

127 posts in this topic

Fantasy baseball rules:

1. Don't start pitchers at Coors

2. Stream against the Padres

3. Don't start Verlander against the Indians.

He's benched against them moving forward. It's a phenomenon I don't understand, but it's there.

1 person likes this

I once did a Jager Bomb with JV in a bar in Cleveland after he got destroyed by the tribe. 2006, and it was ugly:

http://baseball-almanac.cloudhostedresources.com/?task=get&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.baseball-almanac.com%2Fbox-scores%2Fboxscore.php%3Fboxid%3D200608260CLE

I paid for the shots, he offered to sign my Carlos Guillen jersey and I declined, told him I don't do autographs. 

He gave me the knuckles, blew it up, and said "that's cool man". I was ****faced.

Might belong in the CSB thread, but there it is. 

Years ago (too lazy to look it up but Verlander was either in his first or second season), a group of buddies and I made a road trip from mid Michigan to Cleveland for a ball game. Verlander pitched that night and gavewe were partying in the Flats that evening and ran into some Tigers players like Curtis Granderson, Craig Monroe, Marcus Thames, and the recently rocked JV. Me in my drunken stupor said to Verlander as I past him on the street "nice game tonight!", not being a dick, just being drunk. 

Fast forward a half hour, hour, maybe more (remember I am ****faced) I run into JV at a bar. I just bellied up to the bar and didn't know he was there until my buddy pointed him out. I ordered Jager Bombs for me, my buddy, and JV. We downed the bombs and JV asked me if I wanted him to sign my jersey (a Carlos Guillen #9) or my hat and I told him that I don't do autographs. JV told me "That's cool, man" and gave me knuckles and blew it up. 
2 people like this

On 4/15/2017 at 10:14 PM, mtblock said:

Fantasy baseball rules:

3. Don't start Verlander against the Indians.

He's benched against them moving forward. It's a phenomenon I don't understand, but it's there.

yea i didnt really think this was an actual thing until his last outing.  so.....same.

50 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

yea i didnt really think this was an actual thing until his last outing.  so.....same.

Oh its a known thing. He repeatedly struggles against them, which is odd because they have had quite some roster turnover over the years. And its not just 3-4 ER starts either...usually 5ER or more.

My pitching has been god awful this week. Musgrove, Cotton, CMart, Paxton, Norris. Who knows what we'll get.

11 hours ago, billydough said:

I once did a Jager Bomb with JV in a bar in Cleveland after he got destroyed by the tribe. 2006, and it was ugly:

http://baseball-almanac.cloudhostedresources.com/?task=get&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.baseball-almanac.com%2Fbox-scores%2Fboxscore.php%3Fboxid%3D200608260CLE

I paid for the shots, he offered to sign my Carlos Guillen jersey and I declined, told him I don't do autographs. 

He gave me the knuckles, blew it up, and said "that's cool man". I was ****faced.

Might belong in the CSB thread, but there it is. 

But it's actually a cool story, bro.

1 person likes this

Did he forget how to pitch in the AL Central?  Unbelievable.  

On 4/15/2017 at 5:17 PM, BMcP said:

Wonder if Kate chimes in on this appearance

Now she's officially PO'd

im starting to lose faith...his age and past injury are starting to cause concern

3 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

im starting to lose faith...his age and past injury are starting to cause concern

April

3 people like this

giphy.gif

As long as JV has that, he will always be a winner. 

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, summersoff7 said:

17 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

April

I sure hope  @fawkes_mulder is right and @summersoff7 is wrong..... because I bought shares of Verlander

9 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

giphy.gif

she looks like an idiot

3 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

she looks like an idiot

If she danced like that in front of you, you'd need a clean pair of shorts.

Edited by Cmilne23
2 people like this

Line not so bad but already at 61 pitches through 3.  Why is he struggling to get out of innings?  It's becoming a disturbing pattern regardless of which team he's facing.

Edited by borindia

3 minutes ago, borindia said:

Line not so bad but already at 61 pitches through 3.  Why is he struggling to get out of innings?  It's becoming a disturbing pattern regardless of which team he's facing.

I'm watching the game, he looks pretty damn good.  Hitting 96-97 regularly.  Seattle batters are just fouling tons of balls causing him to work.  Seattle lineup ain't no slouch either.

On 4/22/2017 at 8:03 PM, summersoff7 said:

she looks like an idiot

There goes the engaging conversation fantasy.

1 person likes this

On 4/22/2017 at 10:58 AM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

giphy.gif

too bad you can't post the "hacked" photos of her that are on display....lol

simply incredible

8 minutes ago, matdotmarshall said:

Weird, I clicked "next" and got redirected to middle school.

I'm always disappointed by the lack of maturity on fantasy sports sites.