ChicksDigTheOPS

Xander Bogaerts 2017 Outlook

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

 

At SS, that 5 category production would probably rank him just behind the first tier. 

 

People have a tendency to devalue SB but especially this year they are even more valuable than HR. 

 

.295, 10, 90, 80, 15 with 600-700 PA is valuable 5 cat production. The value is just dispersed differently in categories that aren't as sexy as big HR and RBI #s.

 

if u wanted those numbers u coulda got segura 5 rounds later

 

or Didi Gregorious undrafted perhaps

Edited by jfazz23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

if u wanted those numbers u coulda got segura 5 rounds later

 

or Didi Gregorious undrafted perhaps

Are you Nostradamus? Why couldn't you have told us ahead of time? Because right now this means absolutely zero. 

 

"Why draft Trout when you could've gotten Aaron Judge at the end of your draft?"

 

"Why draft Correa? You could've just gotten Andrus much later!"

 

I hope this sufficiently shows shows how ridiculous that line of thought is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Are you Nostradamus? Why couldn't you have told us ahead of time? Because right now this means absolutely zero. 

 

"Why draft Trout when you could've gotten Aaron Judge at the end of your draft?"

 

"Why draft Correa? You could've just gotten Andrus much later!"

 

I hope this sufficiently shows shows how ridiculous that line of thought is.

 

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you know you totally lost the argument, come back with a gif. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

When you know you totally lost the argument, come back with a gif. 

 

IMO Backdoor Slider won the argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When the empty average becomes absolute garbage...

Cherry picking to June 23rd we're looking at a stellar 186 average and a 492 OPS

 

4 god damn 92

 

1 Hr, 10 RBI, 12 Runs

 

He's been one of the worst players in the sport

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

When the empty average becomes absolute garbage...

Cherry picking to June 23rd we're looking at a stellar 186 average and a 492 OPS

 

4 god damn 92

 

1 Hr, 10 RBI, 12 Runs

 

He's been one of the worst players in the sport

I think the worst thing about this kind of slump is that Xander is too good and will most likely improve (whether it's this year or next). As a result, he's undroppable in most leagues, untradeable in most leagues, and owners will just have to wait it out. Other examples this year - Manny Machado, Josh Donaldson, Yoenes Cespedes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wRC+ down from 113 to 92. wOBA down from .348 to .317. K% up and BB% down. Not a horrible player, but he's slightly above average at best. Actually, the numbers indicate that he is below average. Hard to believe he was ranked #20 prior to this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Not a horrible player, but he's slightly above average at best. Actually, the numbers indicate that he is below average. Hard to believe he was ranked #20 prior to this season.

 

His offensive skills are ok for a shortstop, but his situation is really good.  He plays half his games in Fenway, and then plays inter-divisional games in Camden Yards, the new Yankee Stadium, and the Rogers Center.  On top of that, he did hit third for much of last season.  It wasn't crazy to hope for a repeat for his age 24 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened to this cat?  Everyone is exploding at the plate and this guy regressed?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by B&F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, B&F said:

What happened to this cat?  Everyone is exploding at the plate and this guy regressed?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm not sure, but he's benched again today for the second time in the last four games.  He's been so bad lately that I actually hope it's injury related - he battled groin and wrist issues a little while ago that might still be affecting him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RTW10 said:

I'm not sure, but he's benched again today for the second time in the last four games.  He's been so bad lately that I actually hope it's injury related - he battled groin and wrist issues a little while ago that might still be affecting him. 

He never seemed to come back fully from the wrist injury which is the theory floating among the Boston sports media.  If could well be wait until next year with Xander since he has regularly run out of steam late in the season in the past too. 

Add those two factors together and you can see why they traded for Eduardo Nunez.  Nunez was "insurance" for Devers and would help give Pedroia and his bad knew some rest but he was also their Plan B at shortstop first and foremost.  Plan C is either Marrero or Lin both of whom could be back up in September.  Lin's natural position is SS too and he looked really good when he was up in July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a very solid player but I dont think he has superstar potential like some people think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

65 ABs without an RBI

65!

99 ABs without a HR

 

It's ridiculous

 

Dont own any shares but holy hell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just traded for Bogaerts a couple of days ago. He was just a rental throw-in as part of a keeper league deal (I didn't ask for him...his owner just included him). I figured that I'd just let him ride my bench and see if he turns things around this year. Any chance that 3-for-5 was a sign of life from him yesterday? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2017 at 4:32 PM, Gumbo_Ghost said:

65 ABs without an RBI

65!

99 ABs without a HR

 

It's ridiculous

He was/has been nursing a hand injury I believe. I think this was around the time of Sandoval/3B being a black hole and Pedroia/Price injuries. If the Sox were solid and rolling I think a DL stint would have been the play. But, they were in turmoil and he played through it and slumped badly, as expected with a hand injury.

26 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Just traded for Bogaerts a couple of days ago. He was just a rental throw-in as part of a keeper league deal (I didn't ask for him...his owner just included him). I figured that I'd just let him ride my bench and see if he turns things around this year. Any chance that 3-for-5 was a sign of life from him yesterday? 

I think X is streaky and I think a lot has to do with his health. If healthy then I do think this could be turning point. 

On 8/12/2017 at 5:10 PM, colepenhagen said:

dude was being compared in the same tier as seager and carlos.... shame on them

He has most definitely been slower to develop, but he is still young. He has an advanced approach at the plate and typically takes what pitchers give him. Unfortunately, his power is pull side and he is content going opposite field for singles. I would like to see him start to pull a bit more and resort to opposite field with two strikes. Basically get more selective with what he is trying to accomplish early in counts and force the issue with offering at pitches he can pull and let the pitches he can hit for singles the other way go by early in counts. He needs to exploit the monster in left way more. 

Edited by thezing1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off an evidently injured pitcher 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody thinking about dropping him at this point of the season now? I'm surprised he's still 95% owned on Yahoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jsap said:

Anybody thinking about dropping him at this point of the season now? I'm surprised he's still 95% owned on Yahoo

been benching him for the last two weeks.  He had a good game tonight.  Don't really care.  Hell probably go for 0-4.  Just not very consistent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe starting to pull out of this funk? Six hits, five runs, four RBI in the last four games. A September surge would be nice ?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.