2ndCitySox

Jake Lamb 2017 Outlook

199 posts in this topic

How is his defense?  That could dictate whether he has a longer leash to play everyday.

Lamb will easily be thought of as a top 7 3Bman, likely top 5 this time next year. .270, 35, 90 year upcoming. The biggest sleeper in fantasy baseball this year. He changed his swing and VERY quietly was among the best hitters in baseball first half of last year. He plays in a park that's almost as good as Coors and his #'s took a dive over injury in second half last year. I am utterly shocked at the industries opinion of him currently. I've been playing fantasy baseball since 1992 and he's my utter lock for fantasy value this year.

3 people like this

On 3/2/2017 at 9:02 PM, maguirekm said:

Lamb will easily be thought of as a top 7 3Bman, likely top 5 this time next year. .270, 35, 90 year upcoming. The biggest sleeper in fantasy baseball this year. He changed his swing and VERY quietly was among the best hitters in baseball first half of last year. He plays in a park that's almost as good as Coors and his #'s took a dive over injury in second half last year. I am utterly shocked at the industries opinion of him currently. I've been playing fantasy baseball since 1992 and he's my utter lock for fantasy value this year.

Wow I hope you're right

I agree that Lamb's current price is an absolute steal. Should be an easy bet for 30 100 RBI's health permitting. 

1 hour ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

I agree that Lamb's current price is an absolute steal. Should be an easy bet for 30 100 RBI's health permitting. 

I wouldn't go that far and say it's an "easy bet" he reaches those numbers. 30 and 100 is closer to his ceiling than his floor. 

9 minutes ago, Willsea33 said:

I wouldn't go that far and say it's an "easy bet" he reaches those numbers. 30 and 100 is closer to his ceiling than his floor. 

I agree 30 and 100 isn't "easy", but to be fair he went 29 and 91 in 523 AB's last year at age 25, with a .294 BABIP.  So I think with a fully healthy year, and some progression baked in, it's also not what I'd give him as a ceiling.

1 person likes this

I just got him #175 overall and that feels like a steal.  Are people THAT scared off by his poor second half?  Couldn't he be hitting his prime? 

1 person likes this

22 minutes ago, midlip said:

Are people THAT scared off by his poor second half?  Couldn't he be hitting his prime?

My two primary leagues of old veteran fantasy ballers both bid Lamb into the mid double digits. They were not scared off. 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, midlip said:

I just got him #175 overall and that feels like a steal.  Are people THAT scared off by his poor second half?  Couldn't he be hitting his prime? 

Wow that's late. I've got him ranked at 121 but I'm really high on him this year. I wouldn't let him fall past 135-140ish picks. Part of me wonders if his poor 2nd half has anything to do with him playing nearly 50 more games than he ever had before in his career (previous high of 107). I dug a little deeper into this and noticed that his numbers really started to take a dive in August, by which time he had already played 97 games. There was a significant drop off in his average and BABIP in particular in August and September/October. His BB% and K% during those latter months were not much different from his numbers from April to July and actually had good percentages in September/October yet his ave/babip were still low. His contact rates don't really stand out and indicate they were the cause either so I'm not really sure what to think here. 

First test against an LHP this season in Matt Moore. Anyone watch his at bats?

BOOMSKI!!!

3 run jack.  This dude is going to bust out in a major way this season.

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

BOOMSKI!!!

3 run jack.  This dude is going to bust out in a major way this season.

actually had a HR in his previous at bat as well, but went just foul 

Loves me some Lamb 

Not trying to be a wet blanket here - I love the HRs, but is anyone concerned about the Ks yet? 8 in 15AB and this was also a trend for him in spring training. I was hoping he could hit more in the .275ish range this year.

I think he will...he's faced two lefties here mad bum and moore to start the season...not and excuse but just saying both k guys... bum was k'ING everyone 

2 people like this

BB% is up and still in double digits after 40 PA this season, but so is K% slightly. 3-12 so far vs LHP.

Batting .342. I'm liking what I'm seeing.

If they keep him in the cleanup spot and let him hit behind Goldy all year then he's going to get plenty of pitches to hit. He got moved around all over the place in the order last year and he obviously didn't have nearly as much protection when not batting after Goldy. Doing a great job thus far and even swiped a bag today. 

2 people like this

Faces Kershaw tomorrow. There are definitely some tough lefties in the NL West, but Jake is doing better against them so far (very small sample size)

In 2015 w/ 45 ABs he hit .200 vs. lefties

In 2016 w/ 110 ABs he hit .164 vs. lefties

In 2017 w/ 12 ABs he has hit .250 vs. lefties

If he can just hit even .225 vs. lefties he should be a very useful fantasy player, if he can hit even just a little better than that, well we can already see what that does to his fantasy value.

Good luck Rake Bam. Good luck.  

I was just thinking of other nicknames besides Rake Lamb: 

Cake Jam

Bake Ham

Rake Ram (sounds tougher than Lamb)

Quake Bam

Jake Damn

Jake the Program (Trust the Program)

Yes I had nothing better to do. #sorrynotsorry 

1 person likes this

I like Quake Bam and I also think Kershaw's a very good excuse for a Quake Bam day off. I expect him to be sitting out this one.

I got this guy in the 14th round of my 14 team keeper league and feel like I hit the lottery. Love what I am seeing so far.