mysonx3

James Paxton 2017 Outlook

335 posts in this topic

The big question many Paxton owners have in salary keeper leagues is what his value is with a low $ contract. I have him for $5 and can keep him another year at that price. Not going to trade him for a $23 deGrom. You would need quite a haul in that situation.

How many times does one really make lateral trades though? Trade him for an established bat or ride out the profit imo. 

2 people like this

Pax had a little trouble in the third leaving a couple fastballs over the heart of the plate that got laced for doubles. Also got unlucky with a ball being overthrown from RF and bouncing off 2nd, letting a runner get a free base, along with a hitter ripping a double that bounced right on the line that scored 2.

Still looking filthy with the Ks, even though the A's are fighting off pitches better than I thought they would. Pax is still touching 98-99 at times for the Ks and working those filthy breaking pitches. He's doing pretty well.

Big stud rolled through that inning.

Our boy leaving a lot of pitches right down the middle tonight 

I just didn't need this. I won't even get a point out of him...

at least he didnt walk many...time to drop him @mysonx3 ?

Edited by jfazz23

3 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

at least he didnt walk many...time to drop him @mysonx3 ?

@mysonx3 has been quiet tonight.  Probably watched Nola tonight and fell asleep watching all the D- offerings heading towards home plate.  James will be fine though,  MySon.

Edited by Cmilne23

36 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

@mysonx3 has been quiet tonight.  Probably watched Nola tonight and fell asleep watching all the D- offerings heading towards home plate.  James will be fine though,  MySon.

i know i was joking lol.  he still struck out 8 in like 4.1 innigns and didnt have his location

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

i know i was joking lol.  he still struck out 8 in like 4.1 innigns and didnt have his location

Just goes to show no matter how hard you throw, at this level if you don't locate you will be smashed.  Big leagues is crazy.  I've sat in vs 95 mph and almost **** my pants.  These guys go up and just casually slap it all over the yard if not located right.  

Edited by Cmilne23
4 people like this

Was watching the fifth inning with my roommate, we were both saying how Servais should have pulled Paxton after 4. it was obvious he didn't have his stuff. there's no point in sending him back out there. wish managers would pull guys earlier in general. longmen like Erasmo and Devenski are making this more possible. quality starts may be a useless fantasy stat in three years

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, tuesdays said:

Was watching the fifth inning with my roommate, we were both saying how Servais should have pulled Paxton after 4. it was obvious he didn't have his stuff. there's no point in sending him back out there. wish managers would pull guys earlier in general. longmen like Erasmo and Devenski are making this more possible. quality starts may be a useless fantasy stat in three years

Disagree - they will be a more valuable stat in 3 years. 'Saves' on the other hand...

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, tuesdays said:

Pulling a guy after 4 innings causes a ripple effect with the pitching staff. They have enough data and analytics out there to show that it's not beneficial today, and I'm assuming that will be true in 5 years too. Leaving the young guys out there to deal with adversity also helps them a bit in the long run. It's a long season...if this were an important playoff game, then it's a different story.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Dylanfan66 said:

He did not get any help from the umps or he might not have given up any runs. 

This is never an excuse for any pitcher ever. The umps strike zone has to become a part of the pitchers gameplan.

Its time to see how he bounces back mentally. Will it be a new improved paxton or the same old mental midget? 

2 people like this

Facing adversity, no bigger or more important test than that, I can't wait for his next start.

Still racked up the K's, baffling how the A's of all teams were barrelling everything but that's baseball for you.

Might make him attainable in trades again! Worth a shot.

The friggin A's lit up two of my aces this week: Darvish and Pax. Who are these guys?

I think Pax will be fine. I had a bad feeling about the game beforehand. Just seemed like he was due for a rough outing. From what I saw his velo was slightly down. Saw mostly 95 with some 96. Don't remember seeing anything above that but I only watched a few innings.

Hoping for some variance with Tigers, coming off 5, 12, 19 runs

Due for a Paxton shut down 

1 person likes this

Good;Tigers hitting .224 against lefties.

Bad: Tigers hitting .284 at home.

Last 7 days Tigers hitting .289

Night games .304

Paxton's record against the Tigers is 1-1 with 3.86 ERA.

I understand some guys have looked at all this and some haven't, due to not enough time due to work etc..Hopefully this can help some.

1 person likes this