brockpapersizer

Matt Harvey 2017 Season Outlook

18 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Saying I'm inclined to avoid him qualifies as "jumping off a building" to you? 

My skepticism/worry has more to do with the operation/recovery than the velocity he's throwing at right now, but still not exactly a great sign that he's topping out at 91/92 right now. 

It's all good.  Look, we've been around forever.  It still kills me, and I do this every year on these forums with people, and every year you can find the gem in the ruble.  Will Harvey be the gem?  No idea, but my point still stands.  Where he will be drafted vs what he can return puts him as a value proposition to be watching IMO.

No one is taking him as an SP3-4.  If you are then by all means I agree.

Rethinking him.  

His ADP is too high considering the risk.  There are much better and safer players on the board available when he is being drafted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbythepier said:

Harvey had a 1-2-3 first inning.  He had a good change-up.  He fell behind on the HR and made a bad pitch. 

I would be surprised if his velocity isn't better later in spring training as Matt regains his confidence this spring.

Great first inning.  The double that Peralta hit was a catchable ball, the commentator literally pointed out how shallow Granderson was playing right before Peralta made contact; Granderson was out of position.  He fell behind 0-2 to Adams but fought back, 2-2 count and hit Adams.  3-0 count to Martinez and he mashed.  Harvey came back and got Pham on strikes...bunt single to third and a no-throw groundball to SS before getting pulled. 

Velocity was down slightly, but I was encouraged seeing as how it was his first time seeing live batters since July.  A couple of bad pitches but also a couple of great sequences to Cardinals starters.

1 hour ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Apparently he was hitting 95-96 today. 

That's good to see, regardless of the result...

Got him dirt cheap in auction on Saturday, essentially my P5-6 hoping he brings solid return and keeper.  

• Like 1

I still don't like him.   Fantasy or personally.  Got him in rd 12 in one 12 team draft

Got shelled again today, he's a ten foot pole guy for me, The Dark Knight could be dead.

• Like 2

A few years ago I saw the college documentary on him and he came off as the biggest arrogant prick ever.  

• Like 1

Matt might do an extended spring training which makes sense as he regains his stuff.  TOS is no joke.

Hitting 96 in March actually gives me confidence that by the summer he could dealing like the old Harvey.  Should be able to get him without having to pay a steep price.  The problem is rostering him and holding onto him until he starts producing.  

One or two good starts and you could be like,  damn I should have grabbed him when I could have had him cheap.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, verycoolnin said:

A few years ago I saw the college documentary on him and he came off as the biggest arrogant prick ever.  

ive heard this too.

can you elaborate at all?  like what jumped out at you?

he always came off as a dbag to me as well.

4 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

ive heard this too.

can you elaborate at all?  like what jumped out at you?

he always came off as a dbag to me as well.

He was going to get pulled from a game fairly early because he was doing wrong but refused to come out of the game because there was a scout in the stands I think. He refused to sign as a 3rd round pick (2007) because he felt he was a 1st round player (and the money involved). One of the people who advised him to go to UNC was none other than Scott Boras.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 2014olympicgold said:

He was going to get pulled from a game fairly early because he was doing wrong but refused to come out of the game because there was a scout in the stands I think. He refused to sign as a 3rd round pick (2007) because he felt he was a 1st round player (and the money involved). One of the people who advised him to go to UNC was none other than Scott Boras.

He rubs people the wrong way but going to college instead of signing as a 3rd rounder seems like a smart decision in retrospect.

He's not the only guy to go to college instead of signing a major league contract.

• Like 3

Matt Harvey is on my DND list.  Loss of velo and concerning durability a long with an ADP in the 140's = no thanks.

27 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

Matt Harvey is on my DND list.  Loss of velo and concerning durability a long with an ADP in the 140's = no thanks.

hes getting his Velo back.....i wouldnt put anyone on a DND list , especially if they drop.

he dropped to pick #199 in a recent slow draft and I took a chance on him.  Total wild card at this point as he could rebound to 2015 numbers or he could be trash as he was last year.

5 hours ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

hes getting his Velo back.....i wouldnt put anyone on a DND list , especially if they drop.

Ehh... I'm still not buying.  Now if he fell to the early 200's I would take a chance on him but I don't see that happening much.

I would draft him as an SP4. That's sort of the range where he busts, it's not a biggie. In a keeper? SP3. Fortunately my league has a slot for AP  (arrogant pricks), so he has solid value.