Impeccable

Off-season Closer Thread 2016/17

855 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Michael Bluth said:

Daniel Hudson fanned all three batters he faced Friday in his appearance against the Rays.

Advice: While Tony Watson has been a little shaky thus far, Hudson has allowed just one run in four innings and posted an 8/0 K/BB ratio. We like his chances of opening up as the Pirates' closer.

(Rotoworld.com)

any merit to this yahoo/rotoworld blurb?

I did a double-take when I read that too. All I know is that's the first time I've seen any mention of Hudson having a chance to open as the closer. I didn't think there was a serious competition there with Watson at this point. Everything else I've read all spring points to Watson, for sure, unless he fails.

7 hours ago, Michael Bluth said:

Daniel Hudson fanned all three batters he faced Friday in his appearance against the Rays.

Advice: While Tony Watson has been a little shaky thus far, Hudson has allowed just one run in four innings and posted an 8/0 K/BB ratio. We like his chances of opening up as the Pirates' closer.

(Rotoworld.com)

any merit to this yahoo/rotoworld blurb?

Watson is an impending free agent. I think Hudson is a great under-the-radar choice but I do think Watson is still the opening day guy

2 people like this

Checking in to see how the close battles look...

Jeanmar has looked ok.  Nobody else has looked good enough to take the job from him.  He did pitch well most of the season then lost it towards the end. 

Rodney has one scoreless inning.

Kelley has looked fine.  Glover has looked really good.  Still remains to be seen if Dusty would let him close.  He and Treinen have yet to give up a run.

Andrew Bailey has looked downright bad so far.  Door should be open for Bedrosian despite the late start.

Iglesias has looked better than Lorenzen.  They really are pitching 2ip at a time.  Storen has not looked good (27.00era) but did have a scoreless inning last time out.  .

Ottavino has pitched 3 scoreless

Madson 1ip 2er.  Not much going on here between him Doolittle & Casilla

People beginning to speculate that Hudson will close over Watson.  We'll see.

Mauer hasn't been anything special but probably doesn't have anything to worry about until the regular season.  Keep an eye on Phil Maton as a deep sleeper. ...but also keep in mind the Padres will probably be the worst team in the MLB. 

2 people like this

Rockies beat writer Nick Groke again referred to Greg Holland as the Rockies' probable closer in a story today, after calling him the "presumptive closer" in a tweet from Tuesday. Rockies' MLB.com writer in Wednesday's game recap also called him "new Rockies closer."

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/15/greg-holland-shutdown-closer-rockies-spring-game/

http://m.rockies.mlb.com/news/article/219529502/greg-holland-makes-first-rockies-appearance/

He sat mostly 93 in his first game appearance Wednesday, but finished off a 1-2-3, 10-pitch inning by inducing a flyout on a 95 mph fastball. Hit 85 with the slider and 75 with the curve, according to Groke.

On 3/11/2017 at 9:28 AM, PPolanco said:

Watson is an impending free agent. I think Hudson is a great under-the-radar choice but I do think Watson is still the opening day guy

Watson will open the season as the guy, but I saw a broken pitcher at the end of last year. I'm investing heavily in Rivero and, less heavily, but still owning shares in Hudson. Watson is not a closer to be trusted IMO. Buyer beware.

Mon, Mar 13

Adam Ottavino had a shaky appearance in Monday’s loss to the Royals, giving up two runs on three hits and two walks over two-thirds of an inning.

Advice: Ottavino was handed a 2-0 lead going into the top of the seventh, but he gave up back-to-back singles to Cheslor Cuthbert and Whit Merrifield to begin the frame. Both eventually scored on a game-tying single by Ramon Torres. Ottavino was pulled after walking two batters to load the bases. It was a rough day at the office, but Ottavino remains the presumed closer for Colorado. That could obviously change based on his performance and how Greg Holland looks after returning from Tommy John surgery.

(Rotoworld.com)

Thu, Mar 16

Greg Holland (elbow) needed just 10 pitches to get through a 1-2-3 ninth inning Wednesday in his Cactus League debut.

Advice: Holland hit 95 mph with his fastball against the first batter he faced and also broke off a couple nice off-speed pitches. He is expected to make another six to eight appearances in the Cactus League before the start of the 2017 regular season. If everything goes smoothly, the right-hander will likely open as the Rockies' new closer. That would mean a setup role for Adam Ottavino.

Sooooo Holland?

Edited by SwayzeExpress

Luckily picked Holland in reserve drafts...stoked.

\Although I think its unfair, i believe they signed Holland for this reason.

Adam Ottavino has shown he can handle the job, skill wise.

Holland used to other worldly and I believe they lean on his previous successes instead of testing the young gun in Adam.

It feels like the Rockies really want Holland to close. 

But being in COL has its own unique obstacles. The first one being his ability to go back to back days at high altitude. Ottavino has done that before. He's done it his whole career. 

I don't think it will be easy for Holland to come back from TJ and immediately start throwing 95 day after day in COL. There has to be some adjustment period right? But Ottavino is a good RP so what if he doesn't falter? Does COL just yank him anyway, who knows. 

The Rockies are so hard to predict. They have all these vesting options on Holland but if Ottavino is doing a good enough job, why would you want Holland to get all these bonuses? There's so many factors here. 

Rather just speculate other situations. 

If Holland is sitting 95, then this is a totally different situation.  I do think they'd like for him to close because managers almost always default to the veteran with "experience."  

Colorado's pen is going to be really good at the back end, and I think this is going to be a good club.  I'd like to see a clear closer named, but I'd draft either guy in the 15-20 range.  

1 person likes this

OTOH, this is a beat writer's opinion and not something official from the club.

Means little, but Koda with the save yesterday, 2 more K's...just continues to mow guys down this spring...certainly past that hip injury that limited him at the end of last season.

4 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Means little, but Koda with the save yesterday, 2 more K's...just continues to mow guys down this spring...certainly past that hip injury that limited him at the end of last season.

I wouldn't say it's meaningless -- I think it gives the Nats confidence that their pen can figure things out without having to go get Robertson.  Still think Kelly is the closer, but Glover's starting to become a really nice ratios/Ks guy with some hope for saves down the road.

20 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

OTOH, this is a beat writer's opinion and not something official from the club.

For what it's worth, Holland has had the (CL) designation on the Rockies official depth chart for 3-4 weeks now.

It may not mean anything, but it's at least worth noting.

1 person likes this

Was listening to a podcast with David Aardsma and some guy named "The Greek" because they interviewed Shawn Kelley.  After talking the first 15 minutes about David Aardsma's career, they finally got to Shawn...

They asked him point blank, "Do you want to be the closer".  His answer was, "I really don't care.  I'm not trying to say the right thing, but I really don't care.  I'm in the back 9 of my career and I just want to win.  So if they want me to close out the last few outs of the game I will, but I'm fine pitching in whatever inning they want me to pitch in to win."

I still think Kelley still gets the first call. He's looked good this spring, but Treinen has looked good too.  Down the road if they decide to shake up the pen, they could slide Glover into closer and use Kelley as a fireman as he's apparently open to it. 

Interesting comments. 

2 people like this

All quiet on the Reds front for now, it seems. 

I bet this develops similar to how I expect the A's to develop their closer situation: multiple changes in the closers role, occasionally playing the matchups game, and 4-5 different RP on the team having at least one save. 

On 3/17/2017 at 6:55 PM, JFS179 said:

I wouldn't say it's meaningless -- I think it gives the Nats confidence that their pen can figure things out without having to go get Robertson.  Still think Kelly is the closer, but Glover's starting to become a really nice ratios/Ks guy with some hope for saves down the road.

Are we ruling out Trienen then? I can't believe they'd give it to Koda at this stage, gotta be Kelley or Trienen (damn these names are tricky to spell) for me.

They need experience in the closers role and those two guys have it and are both effective. Would think it would be Kelley but no reason they couldn't do a switcheroo.

I've read up more than I want to about the closer situation...here's the things I've seen.

1.  This is such a tough one to call.  Can't solely look at spring training numbers because the Nats are purposely not throwing Kelley, Solis, Treinen, & Blanton in MLB games to "build up their arm strength".  They had Kelley throw 2 innings in a minor league game this weekend while Treinen & Blanton threw 3.  

2.  Kelley doesn't seem to care about being the closer.  He flat out said it in an interview.  I've heard multiple people from Dusty to the pitching coach mention his two TJS and being careful with him.  The media seems to have anointed him closer.  The team hasn't said a thing about him closing.

3.  Multiple sources have gushed about Glover.  Some believe he opens as closer.  The pitching coach hinted that he wants Glover to be an end game pitcher.  Baker loves his Vets though.  I've seen recent talk about whether or not Glover will even make the team...(hey, I think that's silly too but "he has options remaining").  I don't see him starting in the minors, but the discussion is out there.  

4.  The rest is a cluster F.  Treinen also has "good stuff".  Dusty has complimented Joe Nathan...the vet of all vets.  One Nats coach said he looks "fantastic"...but his stats in games say otherwise.  Enny Romero has gotten a lot of attention in the WBC.  

We'll probably have to see how Dusty uses them next week.  

Edited by kidtwentytwo

Damn. Wish this news could've waited a couple more days. Just drafted and waiver period isn't until 22nd. Oh well let the Closer Mayhem begin.

1 person likes this

Guessing Joe Blanton. Still can't fathom Dusty trusting Glover