parrothead

Wil Myers 2017 Outlook

I looked into this during coffee this AM....I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'm pretty sure about 1/3 of Myers' production came in April in almost all categories, and he's batting (month split) below / around .200 most of the other months. That's abyssmal. Can't play him, can't trade him. 

2 minutes ago, Jason Werth's Beard said:

I looked into this during coffee this AM....I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'm pretty sure about 1/3 of Myers' production came in April in almost all categories, and he's batting (month split) below / around .200 most of the other months. That's abyssmal. Can't play him, can't trade him. 

And  you can't drop him with the year he had last year and 21HR's and 11SB's this year.

1 minute ago, AllNoAll said:

And  you can't drop him with the year he had last year and 21HR's and 11SB's this year.

I mean the reality is you can drop him and play a hot bat. It's the time of the year where name value or past production really holds little weight. There are options out there.

Yuli gurriel currently 55% owned.

Lucas Duda currently 18% owned.

Pads 7 runs he must of done something!!! Nope the usual 0-2, 2 K's.  

44 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Pads 7 runs he must of done something!!! Nope the usual 0-2, 2 K's.  

Mr. Automatic. Before i even checked the boxscore I knew that Windmill Wil would deliver the goods.

I mean...I get that some of his numbers are disappointing but he's still gonna (conservatively) give you around 75/25/75/15.  The AVG sucks but that's certainly not killing anyone. and is worth owning in most leagues.

31 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

I mean...I get that some of his numbers are disappointing but he's still gonna (conservatively) give you around 75/25/75/15.  The AVG sucks but that's certainly not killing anyone. and is worth owning in most leagues.

Sure but ending up at those numbers only helps in Roto leagues when 75% of his production occurred in the first month and a half of the season. In H2H and points leagues he's been brutal.

2 hours ago, High&Inside said:

Sure but ending up at those numbers only helps in Roto leagues when 75% of his production occurred in the first month and a half of the season. In H2H and points leagues he's been brutal.

what he said. 

Added another dinger to my bench stats. The day I plug him back in the starting roster will be the day he goes 0/4 with 4 Ks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

27 minutes ago, jseay65 said:

Added another dinger to my bench stats. The day I plug him back in the starting roster will be the day he goes 0/4 with 4 Ks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's a worthy start on the road. He's terrible at home. A must start against the Rockies and Giants.

This dude's 2nd k last night was an embarrassment. At 2-2 he looked at a curve that was outside, but i guess he has just gotten so used to striking out that he began to walk to the dugout, but stopped when he heard the ump call it a ball. On the very next pitch he swings through a FB up around his shoulders. 

Dude is lost up there and the look on his face after that k tells me his confidence is starting to go as well.

The thing with Wil I always worried about is his confidence.  He started talking last year how he'd convinced himself to be cocky and that he was great.  Apparently his vision/zone is well over.  He is going to have to unlearn a bunch of bad habits and anxiety all over again which is not going to happen in season.

23 minutes ago, STLSU said:

The thing with Wil I always worried about is his confidence.  He started talking last year how he'd convinced himself to be cocky and that he was great.  Apparently his vision/zone is well over.  He is going to have to unlearn a bunch of bad habits and anxiety all over again which is not going to happen in season.

Yeah this season is toast for anything other the 5-7 homers he'll likely produce by closing his eyes and swinging as hard as he can and connecting on some scrub arm.  This guy is one of the worst hitters I've had the displeasure of watching this season.  In fantasy we get things skewed sometimes because his overall ranking isn't that atrocious.  But the SBs he chips in has helped that.  But in terms of approach and swing path he's among the worst in the league.  Someone recently above said that they think this board weighs K:BB too seriously.  I completely disagree.  Anytime someone sees a big spike in K rate like Myers has it's a bad sign.  He's the 4th worst hitter in MLB vs the curveball this year.  For whatever reason he hasn't been able to layoff breaking pitches and that pretty much as lead us to the average being a new rendition of the titanic.  I would not be shocked if he ended in the .220's.  As someone above said so eloquently, "this guy sucks".

Edited by Cmilne23

1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

Yeah this season is toast for anything other the 5-7 homers he'll likely produce by closing his eyes and swinging as hard as he can and connecting on some scrub arm.  This guy is one of the worst hitters I've had the displeasure of watching this season.  In fantasy we get things skewed sometimes because his overall ranking isn't that atrocious.  But the SBs he chips in has helped that.  But in terms of approach and swing path he's among the worst in the league.  Someone recently above said that they think this board weighs K:BB too seriously.  I completely disagree.  Anytime someone sees a big spike in K rate like Myers has it's a bad sign.  He's the 4th worst hitter in MLB vs the curveball this year.  For whatever reason he hasn't been able to layoff breaking pitches and that pretty much as lead us to the average being a new rendition of the titanic.  I would not be shocked if he ended in the .220's.  As someone above said so eloquently, "this guy sucks".

Oh yeah I completely agree.  Additionally I never thought his wrists would hold up more than a season or 2 at the most and I'm sure he'll have more bone spurs and things of that sort in there to clean out before you know it.  

I always kinda liked the guy but it's well past time to say he really isn't all that good. Even in the liveliest ball era in some time.  

28 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Phillies making Myers look like a tee baller.

Your first post on page 10 was pretty much all left that needs to be said.  

1 hour ago, neljak25 said:

Just stole 2nd, 3rd, and home. Would love to see him get going down the stretch. 

Crazy what can happen when you actually reach base.  Maybe he'll start thinking it's fun to reach again?