Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zstlj

Roto 5x5 final keeper whir

13 posts in this topic

My 2 keepers are Kershaw and Machado who should be my final guy? 

Starling marte

Rougned odor

Jon Lester 

Ryan Braun

David Price

im thinking Marte for avg and sb help but need some opinions I will help in return

Jon Lester.  He'll be gone in the re-draft before Marte etc.

Exercise for you:  Go through all the other rosters and see who they will probably pick.  Then look who you can draft.  I think you will find you can get more Marte-level OFers easier than a Lester-level starter.  Maybe someone better than Marte in your first round even.  But not a pitcher better than Lester.

I don't completely dispute your logic, but there's also the consideration of what you need. Kershaw/Lester seems like overkill. I do think Marte is a little overrated, so he wouldn't exactly be a guy I was targeting, but I like the Machado/Marte combination going into the draft because they complement each other well.

19 minutes ago, schulni said:

I don't completely dispute your logic, but there's also the consideration of what you need. Kershaw/Lester seems like overkill. I do think Marte is a little overrated, so he wouldn't exactly be a guy I was targeting, but I like the Machado/Marte combination going into the draft because they complement each other well.

Well I used to be all about hitters over pitchers but I have changed my mind a bit over time.  I think if you can get enough true aces it is so much MUCH easier to win your league. 

Of course he is in an 8 team league and I'm going on 14 or 16 team leagues.  But having said that I still think that with only 24 keepers in the whole league Marte isn't that special akeeper.  OTOH Lester ended up ranked #7 over all (pitchers and hitters both) last season on Yahoo.  And his ERA/WHIP and K's is massive in a roto league where the K's to innings pitched is even more important given the innings limits in those leagues.

Put another way Lester finished 3rd among all starters in 2016 fantasy ball whereas Marte finished 16th among all OFers.  And 73rd among all players compared to Lester's 7th mentioned above.

I just think you drop Lester you lose him.  You drop Marte you can get him back or someone in the same range easily.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I like your logic, but Lester looks a strong regression candidate and I wouldn't fault someone for taking Marte with Kershaw already rostered. Also, with only 24 players kept, it's hard to imagine not being able to redraft Lester. I don't see him getting picked in the top 50 in most leagues, and in only an 8 team league, there will be ample opportunities to collect aces.

Another vote for Marte.  With Kershaw coming back from injury I wouldn't risk keeping another SP who's aging and with great risks of regressing. 

I don't see Lester having any risk of regressing.  He changed his pitching style so he could last longer because he puts far less strain on his pitching arm than in the past.  And aside for the first year with the cancer he has been pretty much healthy as a horse ever sense.  One of the most healthy players in the game long term.  I'd be more worried about Kershaw because the word "back injury" does not ever go well with the word "baseball".

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

This is why Marte is overrated btw:

285 Avg.  369 OBP. 19 HR.  63 SB.  92, 63 runs, rbi. ______ considered third round talent

311 AVG. 362 OBP. 9 HR.  47 SB .  71 46 runs, RBI______ considered second round talent

288 AVG.  325 OBP.  16 HR.  40 SB.  73, 67 runs, RBI._______ considered...15th round talent.