Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coach George

Off-season Top 100 prospects

1- Yoan Moncada

2- Andrew Benintendi 

3- Alex Reyes

4- Lucas Giolito

5- Eloy Jimenez 

6- Dansby Swanson 

7-  Brendan Rodgers

8- Gleyber Torres

9- Victor Robles

10- J.P. Crawford 

11- Tyler Glasnow

12- Clint Frazier 

13- Jose De Leon

14- Austin Meadows

15- Rafael Devers

16- Ian Happ

17- Josh Bell

18- Lewis Brinson

19- Anderson Espinoza 

20- Ozhaino Albies

21- Triston McKenzie 

22- Ahmed Rosario

23- Jorge Mateo

24- Francis Martes

25- Nick Senzel

26- Manuel Margot

27- Cody Bellinger

28- Jason Groome

29- Amir Garrett

30- Kolby Allard

31- Michael Kopech

32- Reynauldo Lopez

33- Franklin Barreto 

34- Brent Honeywell

35- Mitch Keller

36- Corey Ray

37- Blake Rutherford

38- Nick Gordon

39- Bradley Zimmer 

40- Aaron Judge

41- A.J. Puk

42- Willy Adames

43- Ramiel Tapia

44- Thomas Szapucki 

45- James Kaprielian

46- Sean Newcomb

47- Josh Hader

48- Dylan Cease

49- Brady Aiken

50- Mickey Moniak

51- Tyler Jay

52- Phil Bickford

53- Tyler O'Neil 

54- Harrison Bader

55- David Paulino

56- Frankie Montas

57- Jharel Cotton

58- Kyle Tucker

59- Isan Diaz

60- Yadier Alvarez

61- Zack Collins

62- Luke Weaver

63- Yohander Mendez

64- Oscar De La Cruz

65- Willie Calhoun 

66- Fernando Romero 

67- Dominic Smith

68- Jorge Alfaro 

69- Grant Holmes

70- Domingo Acevedo 

71-Chance Adams

72- Justus Sheffield 

73- Carson Fulmer

74- Dylan Tate

75- Jesse Winker

76- Jeff Hoffman

77- Chih-Wei Hu

78- Vlad Guerrero Jr.

79- Kevin Newman

80- Brett Phillips

81- Derek Fisher 

82- Nick Williams

83- Rhys Hoskins

84- Dylan Cozens

85- Rowdy Tellez

86- Kyle Lewis

87- Bobby Bradley

88- Braxton Garrett

89- Albert Abreu

90- Jeimer Candelario

91- Matt Chapman

92- Stephen Gonsalves

93- Touki Toussaint 

94- Sandy Alcantara

95- Mitch Haniger

96- Francisco Meji

97- Anthony Alford

98- Kevin Maitan

99- Ian Anderson 

100- Sixto Sanchez 

This is a very rough draft...I typed it on my phone. Don't freak out if there are any errors or omissions because that's very possible. 

Hopefully this is helpful...it's hard to be the first. No one can call me a copy cat because this is the first top 100 list of the off-season as far as I know.

2 minutes ago, Italian_guy said:

Great! 

Just to let you know, you have Robles at 7th and 9th

Ahh #7 is supposed to be Brendan Rodgers...

Maybe a moderator can fix that for me.

Nice list Coach, thanks for putting up this!  

I always like your stuff and usually have similar rankings.. Few differences than what I have on my list.. 

I've got Jake Bauers fairly high (26th) because I love the plate approach and how young he is. 

I've got Alex Verdugo pretty high as well (27th) big believer in his makeup and think he's going to be a very good player. 

I really like Luis Castillo.. 

Things I definitely agree with..

Fernando Romero - love the potential here.. He was dominant last year. 

Thomas Szapucki - If he cleans up his mechanics a bit, watch out.. The Mets already made an adjustment with his arm slot and it worked wonders. Huge steal in dynasty leagues last year, as he was most likely on the waiver wire. 

Isan Diaz - huge pop for a 2B..

Great job brotha! 

15 minutes ago, JenksDodger said:

Nice list Coach, thanks for putting up this!  

I always like your stuff and usually have similar rankings.. Few differences than what I have on my list.. 

I've got Jake Bauers fairly high (26th) because I love the plate approach and how young he is. 

I've got Alex Verdugo pretty high as well (27th) big believer in his makeup and think he's going to be a very good player. 

I really like Luis Castillo.. 

Things I definitely agree with..

Fernando Romero - love the potential here.. He was dominant last year. 

Thomas Szapucki - If he cleans up his mechanics a bit, watch out.. The Mets already made an adjustment with his arm slot and it worked wonders. Huge steal in dynasty leagues last year, as he was most likely on the waiver wire. 

Isan Diaz - huge pop for a 2B..

Great job brotha! 

Bauers and Verdugo are certainly guys that have a lot of potential. Two names that I could probably be talked into adding  to this list. I don't see them in the top 50, but either guy could be right around that range without being questioned.

Soured on Robert Stephenson or no longer a prospect?

Good list and good work.  You know you just wanted Sixto in there for his name :-)

5 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Soured on Robert Stephenson or no longer a prospect?

Good list and good work.  You know you just wanted Sixto in there for his name :-)

That guy is really frustrating. He's a bull in a China shop when he lets it fly. In order to throw strikes and have command he has to back off of his stuff. When he backs off he's just not nearly as good. 

I won't give up on him but I've been down on him for quite a while. There is some potential there, but also a great deal of risk.

The commentary and discussions generated from a list are as valuable as the list itself. Feel free to share your own list or tell me what I've got wrong...or correct!

Great list Coach! Always a good read! Hard to argue right and wrong when it comes to prospect lists, a lot of different opinions out there. You do have Triston Mckenzie higher than most I bet, but I agree he should be that high. I think he will be the # 1 pitching prospect come mid-season. Assuming Reyes, Giolito and Glasnow will no longer be on this list.

40 minutes ago, dilly3307 said:

Great list Coach! Always a good read! Hard to argue right and wrong when it comes to prospect lists, a lot of different opinions out there. You do have Triston Mckenzie higher than most I bet, but I agree he should be that high. I think he will be the # 1 pitching prospect come mid-season. Assuming Reyes, Giolito and Glasnow will no longer be on this list.

Thanks!

I just traded for McKenzie in my dynasty league. I wanted to get him before the lists came out and had him ranked higher than expected. 

I think he's a special talent. I might be overly aggressive on him but I think it's justified. I feel like he's probably the fastest riser in the minors.

Thanks!  Yeah some of these guys are already up to stay like Swanson and Beintendi and Alex Reyes etc.  But that's okay, not complaining.  Reyes going to be a starter though or have to serve time in the bullpen first?

Can you talk me about some pitchers?  How about Jharel Cotton (#57)?  He had a nice debut this season and looks like he may stick in the majors.  Is Sean Newcomb regressing?  I've had my eyes on Amir Garrett for a while now but not as long as you have.  Think he is ready to make the big jump sometime this season or next?  Is Kopech still his own worst enemy?  Honeywell going to be maybe the first up out of the SPs not called up last year at all?  Hader instead?

17 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Thanks!  Yeah some of these guys are already up to stay like Swanson and Beintendi and Alex Reyes etc.  But that's okay, not complaining.  Reyes going to be a starter though or have to serve time in the bullpen first?

Can you talk me about some pitchers?  How about Jharel Cotton (#57)?  He had a nice debut this season and looks like he may stick in the majors.  Is Sean Newcomb regressing?  I've had my eyes on Amir Garrett for a while now but not as long as you have.  Think he is ready to make the big jump sometime this season or next?  Is Kopech still his own worst enemy?  Honeywell going to be maybe the first up out of the SPs not called up last year at all?  Hader instead?

I basically used the guys that MLB.com considered for their list. If I'm not mistaken, they remove guys once they are no longer rookie eligible. 

I've been in on Cotton for a while. Dude can pitch. He just doesn't have the frame that everyone is looking for. He's a smaller guy, but I think he could find some success in Oakland. I'm a fan!

Newcomb is the bull in a China shop prototype. He's got big stuff and he does have the big body that a lot of people like. His command is lousy but hopefully that improves. If it does then he has big upside...if it doesn't, then his in bad shape. He has a pretty high bust rate.

Amir Garrett is a supreme athlete. I love that about him. He's improved a lot in the last 18 months. He's dripping with upside. I had to go out and buy him in dynasty. He caught my eye in the 2015 Future's game and I've been "all in" since.

Koepech is kind of an idiot. He's the Nuke LaLoosh of minor league baseball. He throws it real hard but he's immature and wreckless. He's another big time upside arm. If he comes close to his ceiling then he could be special. 

Honeywell has done nothing but get people out. He's been rock solid. The question surrounds his screwball. No one really throws that pitch any more and it should be interesting to see how it transitions into the minors.

Hader is crazy to watch. He has a very odd delivery but has mowed people down...he struggled a little bit in Colorado Springs but that's about like pitching on the moon. He seems like a potential reliever, but I'd like to see what happens if he gets a shot in the rotation.

I own all of those guys (except Koepech) in dynasty. I'd own him too but I think I scared his owner away with my aggressive persuit. 

8 minutes ago, Coach George said:

I've been in on Cotton for a while. Dude can pitch. He just doesn't have the frame that everyone is looking for. He's a smaller guy, but I think he could find some success in Oakland. I'm a fan!

Thanks a lot!  I'm interested a little in frame size.  Isn't that the one major caveat regards Anderson Espinoza too?  I thought it was really interesting the Red Sox waiting until Jason Groome was not only drafted but safely signed then they immediately within 24 hours traded Espinoza away for Kimbrell.  Do they know something we don't since he isn't progressing super fast in SD's system as yet?

Also about Groome, what do you think about him?  And is he years and years away or will he somehow fast track in a way that may surprise us?

Oh yeah I forgot to ask about Francis Martes.  Seemed to have a rough start last year but got better later in the season.

I promise next time I'll pick your brain about bats instead.  :-)

Love it man. As a Cubs fan love seeing Eloy way up there. Don't know if this is something you'd know but do you know if Cease will be pitching at South Bend A?

From the people I've heard supporting Cotton I'm fully in at this point. Very excited for the future.

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Thanks a lot!  I'm interested a little in frame size.  Isn't that the one major caveat regards Anderson Espinoza too?  I thought it was really interesting the Red Sox waiting until Jason Groome was not only drafted but safely signed then they immediately within 24 hours traded Espinoza away for Kimbrell.  Do they know something we don't since he isn't progressing super fast in SD's system as yet?

Also about Groome, what do you think about him?  And is he years and years away or will he somehow fast track in a way that may surprise us?

Oh yeah I forgot to ask about Francis Martes.  Seemed to have a rough start last year but got better later in the season.

I promise next time I'll pick your brain about bats instead.  :-)

Thats a great point about the Red Sox situation. I'd like to know if the addition of Groome has anything to do with the subtraction of Espinoza. 

There re is a chance that they cashed Espinoza in as a "sell high" candidate. He is a small guy but he's so young that it's hard to say that his body won't mature. The arsenal is certainly legit. With guys at his level there has to be a lot of potential outcomes.

Groome on the mound is what we're all looking for. Questions about maturity and signability caused him to fall further than expected in the draft. He was still my top arm in the 2016 class and that won't change any time soon. I like Groome a lot. He could have Strasburg upside...but he's got some LaLoosh to him too.

Martes is a bulldog. He's a thick guy...kind of a unique body for a starting pitcher. He was definitely up and down last year but the potential is pretty big with Martes. He's not going to be as "pretty" as some other arms on this list but he could turn into a really good MLB pitcher. I think his bust rate is pretty low.

8 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Where is Ronald Acuna, at least 2/3 people have him in top 30/top 3 spec for the Braves

I think you are mistaken. He's an ultra young and talented kid that has a bright future. I don't think he's a consensus top 100 prospect at this point...but he certainly could be. He's certainly very promising for his age.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on Cody Reed. You had him at 42 last year but unranked this year. Seems to have had a similar drop on most lists I've seen.

Did he really take that big of a step backward?

26 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on Cody Reed. You had him at 42 last year but unranked this year. Seems to have had a similar drop on most lists I've seen.

Did he really take that big of a step backward?

Reed is no longer eligible as a prospect. It's hard to throw the towel in on anyone, but Reed certainly looked over matched last season in the minors.

52 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Acuna could certainly be a fast riser and the talent is definitely immense for an 18 year old. I could show you quite a few lists that left him off.

He was the #17 Brave prospect according to MLB.com and was not in the top 10 Braves according to prospect 361...not that it really matters.

i definitely consider him an upside guy to keep an eye on though!

The site that had him really high is certainly the exception in my perspective.

1 hour ago, taobball said:

Love it man. As a Cubs fan love seeing Eloy way up there. Don't know if this is something you'd know but do you know if Cease will be pitching at South Bend A?

From the people I've heard supporting Cotton I'm fully in at this point. Very excited for the future.

I can't say 100% but it sure seems like Cease should start the year in South Bend. 

Cease has MAJOR upside and has the potential to be one of the most exciting arms in the minors next year if he can stay healthy...very excited for Cease!

It's a great list, I do not understand the love given to Bradley Zimmer. Every one has him ranked above top 50 and I just don't see it. He's got solid OBP but he strikes out a ton.