Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coach George

Off-season Top 100 prospects

8 minutes ago, Justinrlstn said:

It's a great list, I do not understand the love given to Bradley Zimmer. Every one has him ranked above top 50 and I just don't see it. He's got solid OBP but he strikes out a ton.

He definitely had a tough year last year. He's still a really talented kid though. Great frame, really toolsy...runs, has power and can play good defense. 

Are the Ks scary? Oh yeah! But he's still got potential.

7 minutes ago, TheBoatmen said:

Assuming Lourdes Guerriel Jr is starting in the  minors does he make this list?  

I'd place Lourdes right outside the top 100.  He's a wild card. A lot of potential outcomes. I did consider him, but decided to leave him out until I have a better idea of what he is.

14 hours ago, Coach George said:

I can't say 100% but it sure seems like Cease should start the year in South Bend. 

Cease has MAJOR upside and has the potential to be one of the most exciting arms in the minors next year if he can stay healthy...very excited for Cease!

Good to hear. I'll be spending at least some time in South Bend this summer so I'll have to try and get over there during one of his starts. 

For anyone that's curious, this is the thread about my dynasty rebuild.  Many of the guys on this list are on that team. I've been working on turning it around for a couple of years now.

3 hours ago, Coach George said:

For anyone that's curious, this is the thread about my dynasty rebuild.  Many of the guys on this list are on that team. I've been working on turning it around for a couple of years now.

I like to compare.. What are your dynasty rules? 

Because I play in a contract dynasty making the playoffs every year but always looking deep into prospects 

23 minutes ago, El.mas.chingon35 said:

Thoughts on a possible Giolito and Robles deal headlining a trade for Sale. Don't know much about these 2. White Sox fan here looking for some info on these 2.

They are two of the best prospects in baseball. Giolito is close to MLB ready and Robles has as much upside as anyone in the minors!

Sale is awesome but that would be a pretty good combo for the White Sox.

1 minute ago, Coach George said:

They are two of the best prospects in baseball. Giolito is close to MLB ready and Robles has as much upside as anyone in the minors!

Sale is awesome but that would be a pretty good combo for the White Sox.

Thoughts on a possible Giolito and Robles deal headlining a trade for Sale. Don't know much about these 2. White Sox fan here looking for some info on these 2.

That's good to hear. Have zero confidence in the Sox management to identify talent. I guess well wait to see if the deal gets done

14 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I've always thought Robles was overrated, his stats don't blow anyone away and he seems to be defense oriented 

The stats sure look pretty good to me. A great on base guy, with speed and power.

He was one of the youngest guys in his league last year and played in a league that's known for suppressing offense.

Thanks for the list, good read man!

What web host do you use for your dynasty leagues?

18 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Thanks for the list, good read man!

What web host do you use for your dynasty leagues?

Glad to do it!

We use CBS!

On 12/6/2016 at 2:14 PM, Coach George said:

The stats sure look pretty good to me. A great on base guy, with speed and power.

He was one of the youngest guys in his league last year and played in a league that's known for suppressing offense.

I think I disagree with the "on base" and power part-.125 ISO. 7% walk rate (below average I believe) 

Tell me about Sixto Sanchez... everything I've read about him has been glowing but there's remarkably little info I can find. No idea what his arsenal looks like

4 hours ago, mysonx3 said:

Tell me about Sixto Sanchez... everything I've read about him has been glowing but there's remarkably little info I can find. No idea what his arsenal looks like

I've read reports that he's a super hard thrower.  He pumps the zone with 95+ mph fastballs and his slider reaches 90 mph.

He is a bit of a mystery man because he's such a young Dominican player.  His fastball is 70-80.

He's created a lot of buzz recently and his name is Sixto...what's not to like?

Is he a top 100 prospect?  Well, he made my list.  He's a fun up and comer that is fun to throw in there as the #100 guy. 

You're the first person I've seen have Rowdy Tellez as a top 100 guy. I'm a big fan of his too, what he did at AA (152 wRC+ with power and good K and BB rates) over that large of a sample is impressive. He's done it at every stop too! Why do you think he is being underrated at this point?

52 minutes ago, garlando said:

You're the first person I've seen have Rowdy Tellez as a top 100 guy. I'm a big fan of his too, what he did at AA (152 wRC+ with power and good K and BB rates) over that large of a sample is impressive. He's done it at every stop too! Why do you think he is being underrated at this point?

Tellez runs like a refrigerator and isn't exactly a physical specimen, but the guy can hit.  I like him but I guess some knock his athleticism and inability to play anywhere other than 1B. All he does is hit at every level.  There isn't a bunch of big hitting 1B hanging out in the minor leagues right now.

4 hours ago, garlando said:

It basically takes a 1B like Cody Bellinger to get a bunch of love. If Tellez continues to improve his defense and continue to show the power and good plate discipline I think you will see him rise up prospect rankings a bit.At the same time,if he does those things I think he may get a cup of coffee this year.

How are you feeling about Nick Williams' development?  I've read some people think he's been mishandled, but his talent is obvious.  I'm just trying to figure out how to value him; I have him as the last piece included in a decent sized trade and am wondering if he's a good enough value for the last piece coming my way.  I'd love to hear your opinion, if you have time.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, apap414 said:

How are you feeling about Nick Williams' development?  I've read some people think he's been mishandled, but his talent is obvious.  I'm just trying to figure out how to value him; I have him as the last piece included in a decent sized trade and am wondering if he's a good enough value for the last piece coming my way.  I'd love to hear your opinion, if you have time.

Thanks!

He's always been a tools driven prospect. He's very talented, but he took a step backwards last year after having a great 2015.

In 2015 he took a big step forward with his plate discipline and it spread to his other statistics as well.  Then last year he struck out more and walked less and only had a .287 OBP.  Some say he had a bad attitude last season that contributed to his performance.

I own him in dynasty and he's very frustrating to own because he has been so up and down, despite having really good tools.

4 hours ago, Coach George said:

He's always been a tools driven prospect. He's very talented, but he took a step backwards last year after having a great 2015.

In 2015 he took a big step forward with his plate discipline and it spread to his other statistics as well.  Then last year he struck out more and walked less and only had a .287 OBP.  Some say he had a bad attitude last season that contributed to his performance.

I own him in dynasty and he's very frustrating to own because he has been so up and down, despite having really good tools.

Yeah, I had him in dynasty as well and I lost my patience with him. Didn't help that league uses OBP as a stat and I don't ever see him being an OBP guy.

@Coach George

I'm not sure if you can help me with this or not, but I live a little south of Indy so the Pirates AAA team (Indy Indians) and the Reds AAA team (Louis Bats) are about an hour and an hour and a half away respectively, and as I don't work weekends, my goal is to try to go to the ball parks as much as possible this year, and i'm trying to make a combined schedule. I'm very excited to get to see a lot of Meadows. 

I have a ton of opportunities to see Toledo (Detroit) and Columbus (Cleveland) (4/8, 5/20, and 6/10 those two are both @ Indianapolis and @ Louisville on the same week, and Columbus 8/26). So those two teams are easily covered with no conflicts.

Based on how my schedule works out I'll have one opportunity to see (again with no real conflicts, outside of maybe another Toledo/Columbus):

5/13: Norfolk (Os)

7/8: Charlotte (ChiSox) 

7/22: Buffalo (Jays)

7/29: Pawtucket (BoSox)

8/12: Syracuse (Nats)

8/19: Rochester (Twins)

As much as just circumstances make me doubt I'll be able to make all of these, the goal is to make all six of these dates.

The real question/conflict comes from the following two weekends, which are the only opportunities I have to see these teams, but they conflict. I could theoretically go both days of the weekend but that's unlikely unless there's someone pitching or a prospect I wanna particularly see, so I know it's early but I'm wondering if you find one of these AAA teams more worth seeing than the other:

4/22: Scranton (Yanks) and Durham (Rays)

6/3: Gwinett (Braves) and Lehigh Valley (Phils) 

So I'll probably only go to one of those games, so, especially for the one in April, if you have a lean towards which would be more worthwhile, I'd be interested to hear it. I'll do my own scouting before hand for the systems obviously which I haven't done yet, but was just curious on your take, if you had one. Hoping to see some games in South Bend when I go to see my parents too, so trying to see a lot of MiLB this year.

Thanks. 

On 12/5/2016 at 7:56 AM, Coach George said:

He definitely had a tough year last year. He's still a really talented kid though. Great frame, really toolsy...runs, has power and can play good defense. 

Are the Ks scary? Oh yeah! But he's still got potential.

Me personally I have Zimmer ranked faaaar lower on my list than each of the mainstream ranking publications.