Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coach George

Off-season Top 100 prospects

Ctrl +F= Juan Soto

Zero results..

Slightly disappointing to not see him but a far off prep arm like Ian Anderson..but a minor quibble.. Solid work as always George..

8 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Ctrl +F= Juan Soto

Zero results..

Slightly disappointing to not see him but a far off prep arm like Ian Anderson..but a minor quibble.. Solid work as always George..

Obviously a great hit tool with Soto, but I don't know that he has the power or speed to be a real impact fantasy player. Also, his K/BB rate was good but not great, which is a concern for a hit-tool driven prospect.

I'm pretty high on Soto (I don't have a rankings list but if I did he'd probably be in the 110-125 range), but I definitely see why he wouldn't be a top 100 guy

6 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

Obviously a great hit tool with Soto, but I don't know that he has the power or speed to be a real impact fantasy player. Also, his K/BB rate was good but not great, which is a concern for a hit-tool driven prospect.

I'm pretty high on Soto (I don't have a rankings list but if I did he'd probably be in the 110-125 range), but I definitely see why he wouldn't be a top 100 guy

Fair enough, and i wouldn't worry about K/BB for a 17 year old... Alex Kirilloff probably would be above both right now anyways with more present day power projections

1 hour ago, Slatykamora said:

Fair enough, and i wouldn't worry about K/BB for a 17 year old... Alex Kirilloff probably would be above both right now anyways with more present day power projections

Oh, I'm not worried about the K/BB at all. Like I said, it's actually pretty good. My point is that for a guy in rookie ball without standout power or speed potential he'd have to be pretty special in the K/BB department to crack the Top 100.

I actually didn't notice until you just pointed it out that Kiriloff didn't crack this list.

Care to drop some knowledge on us, @Coach George?

12 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Ctrl +F= Juan Soto

Zero results..

Soto is definitely a super young guy that has potential upside. He certainly could be included in my top 100 soon...but I'd like to see him transition into a non-rookie league. 

At this point, I don't have him close to my top 100, but he's certainly a young guy that tore up the GCL and drawn rave reviews from the Dominican leagues. 

Maybe I'm selling him short...definitely a possibility. He's definitely a guy that I have on my watch list.

I did consider Kiriloff for the back end of the list. He's a bat that still has a long trip ahead of him before making it to the show. He's probably not as flashy as some other 19 year olds that did make the list, but I do think that he's a rock solid prospect.

I have him behind Gordon, Jay, Romero and Gonsalves in the Twins organization.

20 hours ago, taobball said:

@Coach George

I'm not sure if you can help me with this or not, but I live a little south of Indy so the Pirates AAA team (Indy Indians) and the Reds AAA team (Louis Bats) are about an hour and an hour and a half away respectively, and as I don't work weekends, my goal is to try to go to the ball parks as much as possible this year, and i'm trying to make a combined schedule. I'm very excited to get to see a lot of Meadows. 

I have a ton of opportunities to see Toledo (Detroit) and Columbus (Cleveland) (4/8, 5/20, and 6/10 those two are both @ Indianapolis and @ Louisville on the same week, and Columbus 8/26). So those two teams are easily covered with no conflicts.

Based on how my schedule works out I'll have one opportunity to see (again with no real conflicts, outside of maybe another Toledo/Columbus):

5/13: Norfolk (Os)

7/8: Charlotte (ChiSox) 

7/22: Buffalo (Jays)

7/29: Pawtucket (BoSox)

8/12: Syracuse (Nats)

8/19: Rochester (Twins)

As much as just circumstances make me doubt I'll be able to make all of these, the goal is to make all six of these dates.

The real question/conflict comes from the following two weekends, which are the only opportunities I have to see these teams, but they conflict. I could theoretically go both days of the weekend but that's unlikely unless there's someone pitching or a prospect I wanna particularly see, so I know it's early but I'm wondering if you find one of these AAA teams more worth seeing than the other:

4/22: Scranton (Yanks) and Durham (Rays)

6/3: Gwinett (Braves) and Lehigh Valley (Phils) 

So I'll probably only go to one of those games, so, especially for the one in April, if you have a lean towards which would be more worthwhile, I'd be interested to hear it. I'll do my own scouting before hand for the systems obviously which I haven't done yet, but was just curious on your take, if you had one. Hoping to see some games in South Bend when I go to see my parents too, so trying to see a lot of MiLB this year.

Thanks. 

Sounds like you'll see a bunch of good games. It really just comes down to personal preference. 

I think its great to see players in person. There are certain things you just can't put on paper. Some guys carry themselves like winners.

On 12/15/2016 at 7:33 PM, Slatykamora said:

Ctrl +F= Juan Soto

Zero results..

Juan Soto is a super exciting young piece. What he is doing for his age is remarkable and remniscient of another Nats prospect...Victor Robles.

I just want to point out some thing about your #7 and #25

IN SAME LEAGUE:  

@7:  20 years old.  7.1% BB. 20% k rate. . 199 ISO.  281 AVG.  342 OBP.   480 SLG.  

@25:  21 years old.  12.9% BB rate. 19.7% k rate.  . 238 ISO.  329 AVG.  415 OBP.   567 SLG.

Is 1 year 2 months really enough to make up those stats?

You are a lot lower than most on Kyle Lewis. Is this because of his ACL injury or is there something in his skill set?

22 minutes ago, BJays1993 said:

You are a lot lower than most on Kyle Lewis. Is this because of his ACL injury or is there something in his skill set?

I think he's top 40 if healthy...he's obviously very talented. The ACL and meniscus injuries were definitely scary.

Maybe I was too low, but this injury is concerning. I think he's got major upside and could easily rise up the list once he makes his return.

52 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I just want to point out some thing about your #7 and #25

IN SAME LEAGUE:  

@7:  20 years old.  7.1% BB. 20% k rate. . 199 ISO.  281 AVG.  342 OBP.   480 SLG.  

@25:  21 years old.  12.9% BB rate. 19.7% k rate.  . 238 ISO.  329 AVG.  415 OBP.   567 SLG.

Is 1 year 2 months really enough to make up those stats?

Rodgers is more toolsy, younger and most importantly PLAYS FOR THE ROCKIES

Let's cut through this toolsy stuff.  Senzel is 1 year older.  And has drastically better stats.  He looks like he has plenty of tools.    Including more power.  Not to mention most great players nowadays came from college hitters.  

Rockies is a fair point, but Reds ballpark is amazing for hitters too, especially power.  

Rodgers is worth a LOT more than Senzel right now...

I think Senzel is great, but in market value, it's not close right now.

My league I flipped Rodgers for Carlos Carrasco. Another owner flipped Senzel for Matt Kemp and some C tier prospects.

Now, we can argue merits all we want, but you don't really think Senzel has a higher market value than Rodgers, do you? 

Very fair point!  If this is a market value list than yes, rosgers is much higher.  I just think senzel is so underrated and if I was forced to keep a prospect I would take senzel.  But tbh imo the best use of prospects is for trading anyway :) 

1 hour ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Let's cut through this toolsy stuff.  Senzel is 1 year older.  And has drastically better stats.  He looks like he has plenty of tools.    Including more power.  Not to mention most great players nowadays came from college hitters.  

Rockies is a fair point, but Reds ballpark is amazing for hitters too, especially power.  

Why would we cut through the toolsy stuff? Tools are pretty darn important...

You're scouting the stat line. That can only get you so far.

Full disclosure, I actually like Senzel more than Rodgers myself, but I was just giving the reason why he's universally ranked higher

2 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I like both guys...

Like others have said, Rodgers has more upside than Senzel but I feel like Senzel is one of the safest prospects in the minors. He should be up fairly fast and he's a talented player. 

Rodgers plays SS and has the Coors factor...which helps. 

Tools are the foundation of talking about prospects.  How you can simply dismiss it while talking about prospects is beyond me.

Senzel is an excellent prospect who's incredibly safe.  However Rodgers, by far, has a higher ceiling.  If Rodgers did not play for the Rockies organization, I can see the argument for wanting Senzel.  The fact of the matter is that he does which gives him both a higher ceiling and high floor... not to mention he plays a premium position.

6 minutes ago, Coach George said:

Lucas Giolito in AA last year...

This is sort of proving my point; Giolito is not considered a good MLB player (yet).  I am saying- a good MLB players, not a prospect- that had bad numbers in the minor leagues and somehow usurped this because of "tools".  Dosent exist.  Maybe you can find a couple exceptions, but all good players had stats AND tools, or at the very least stats.  

10 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

This is sort of proving my point; Giolito is not considered a good MLB player (yet).  I am saying- a good MLB players, not a prospect- that had bad numbers in the minor leagues and somehow usurped this because of "tools".  Dosent exist.  Maybe you can find a couple exceptions, but all good players had stats AND tools, or at the very least stats.  

That is what you call a self fulfilling prophecy...

It is completely not.  I am saying- what good MLB player did not have good MiLB stats. 

You say: players can have mediocre/bad miLB stats as long as they are toosly and succeed.  I say: they need to have good MiLB stats. Evidenced by the fact that all good MLB players have good mILB stats.

10 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

It is completely not.  I am saying- what good MLB player did not have good MiLB stats. 

You say: players can have mediocre/bad miLB stats as long as they are toosly and succeed.  I say: they need to have good MiLB stats. Evidenced by the fact that all good MLB players have good mILB stats.

Good thing Rodgers has good stats...