Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpecialFNK

Adam Eaton 2017 Outlook

63 posts in this topic

now with the Washington Nationals.

do his numbers change going to Washington/NL?

does Eaton bat 1st, or 2nd behind Turner?

Quick take is I would assume he may hit a couple fewer homers but his contact skills should carry similar numbers and I think he's got enough pop to make a couple of those non-homers doubles. Dusty Baker could be a bonus for his stolen bases. NL will hurt RBIs at the top. 

I had Adam Eaton projected for like... 

.287, 14 HRs, 92 Rs, 58 RBIs, 15 SBs

maybe

.286, 11 HRs, 108 Rs, 46 RBIs, 19 SBs. I'd call it a net positive. 

2 people like this

41 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

now with the Washington Nationals.

do his numbers change going to Washington/NL?

does Eaton bat 1st, or 2nd behind Turner?

Id imagine he hits 2nd with Turner leading off. Dusty loves speed at the top of the lineup, and its not like Turner is WIlly Taveras with the bat. Eaton at 2 looks really good in Washington, Harper 3, and Murphy hitting 4. (Id imaigne).

Turner lead off last year while Eaton did have 30 games batting 2nd, so I'm going to have to go ahead and take a guess that Turner is leadoff followed by Eaton, and then Murphy/Harper?

would that be an issue with too many LH in a row?

Eaton could be in for his best season yet.

1 hour ago, taobball said:

Quick take is I would assume he may hit a couple fewer homers but his contact skills should carry similar numbers and I think he's got enough pop to make a couple of those non-homers doubles. Dusty Baker could be a bonus for his stolen bases. NL will hurt RBIs at the top. 

maybe

You think his RBI are going to go down? I was guessing up, just because I think the Nats will be more productive. I guess a lot is predicated on him hitting 1st (probably a guarantee). I'm all for the uptick in SB... Busty loves the running game.

Is the Nats park any friendlier than the WSox?

Just now, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

You think his RBI are going to go down? I was guessing up, just because I think the Nats will be more productive. I guess a lot is predicated on him hitting 1st (probably a guarantee). I'm all for the uptick in SB... Busty loves the running game.

Is the Nats park any friendlier than the WSox?

I don't know about BA but the Cell should be far better for homers.

I mean... maybe. It's hard to drive in runs from the 1 spot in the NL, as you follow the pitcher. I had Turner slotted for more RBI's so maybe it's a bit low. 

14 minutes ago, taobball said:

I don't know about BA but the Cell should be far better for homers.

this is what I was thinking originally. but I see in 2016 he had 7 at home and 7 on the road, and  in 2015 he had 6 at home and 8 on the road.

Just now, SpecialFNK said:

this is what I was thinking originally. but I see in 2016 he had 7 at home and 7 on the road, and  in 2015 he had 6 at home and 8 on the road.

Yeah I get that, but I still think  it's a down grade. We'll see though. He gets fewer cheap homers than you'd think from someone of his size. 

No way Turner moves from leadoff after the year had last season.  0% chance.

1 person likes this

I would project similar value for Eaton. but to I don't know how dusty is wanting his guy to steal bases vs. how Robin was. 

Eaton hits too many GB to hit 2nd IMO. Too many double play opportunities for the defense. 

9 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Eaton hits too many GB to hit 2nd IMO. Too many double play opportunities for the defense. 

Or hit and run opportunities with great contact in the top two

With Dusty being a bit "old school" Eaton maybe the leadoff hitter to breakup having three LH in a row.

Like the trade for fantasy going forward as Turner could easily be a top 4 SS option going forward which is great for my rebuild dynasty team.

1 person likes this

On 12/7/2016 at 7:20 PM, jwblue said:

If Turner bats before Eaton and happily steals 50 bases Eaton will have a nice opportunity to drive in some runs.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

If Turner bats before Eaton and happily steals 50 bases Eaton will have a nice opportunity to drive in some runs.

Yeah actually I think if Eaton goes 2 this will be massive for his fantasy appeal, becuase I totally buy him for being in a 19-24 class from a 12-15 class and that's very big. I think Dusty wants to see him run. 

3 hours ago, Low and Away said:

With Dusty being a bit "old school" Eaton maybe the leadoff hitter to breakup having three LH in a row.

This is a really good point. It's either Eaton leading off or three LH in a row... unless you want to bat Rendon in the 3 hole. 

And by the "new school", you actually would prefer your best hitters in the 2, 4, and 5 holes, so Rendon might make sense in the 3 hole. Something like Turner-Eaton-Rendon-Harper-Murphy. 

Then again, it's not like having Harper-Murphy back-to-back is exploitable, so maybe the handedness concerns aren't as big as we think. 

7 hours ago, jwblue said:

In my opinion you're wasting too much power potential batting Turner leadoff. I'd go Eaton-Turner-Harper so Turner can use his pop to drive in runs and his speed to score them. No idea what Dusty will do though

1 hour ago, mysonx3 said:

In my opinion you're wasting too much power potential batting Turner leadoff. I'd go Eaton-Turner-Harper so Turner can use his pop to drive in runs and his speed to score them. No idea what Dusty will do though

Agreed, with the extra power Turner makes most sense in the 2 hole. 

Even though I think Giolito is the most over rated prospect in baseball right now I think The White Sox got away with highway robbery by bringing in Giolito for Eaton.  I would say that just about every MLB organization has an equal if not more productive outfielder coming out of the minors next season.  Plus I still think Ben Revere is better than Eaton.

On 12/7/2016 at 10:32 PM, taobball said:

maybe

Couldn't his steals go way up in Was now? Especially if he's leading off, lowest he'll be is 2, Dusty loves to run and Ventura hated running.

Why couldn't he reach 30 steals now, or isn't he that fast overall? A good increase in steals would be the one thing that makes him a value, as he didn't have great pop before and that will play up less now. 

Well Dusty is being Dusty again:

Nationals manager Dusty Baker indicated Friday that he will bat Trea Turner leadoff and possibly hit Jayson Werth second.

The assumption has been that Adam Eaton would either bat leadoff or second for the Nats, but it sounds like he might hit in the lower half of the order. Baker's reasoning is that he doesn't want to bat three lefties in a row if Eaton hits second and is followed by Daniel Murphy and Bryce Harper. That's fine, but he could easily solve that with Eaton at leadoff and Turner in the two-hole. Hopefully Baker will come to his senses by Opening Day, but we can't count on it.   ...

Rotoworld blurb here.  Love the writer's last sentence above.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

if Eaton is pushed down to something like 7 or 8 then he loses a lot of value. Werth 2nd is stupid. sure he walks, but his AVG is terrible and his OBP is worse thn Eaton's. smarten up Dusty.

2 people like this

I don't get why Dusty is so adamant about not hitting 3 lefties in a row. I guess it's an old school mentality. Regardless, it seems so obvious to me that Eaton should be in the 2 hole (I believe the 2 suits the lineup better) with Turner ahead of him given his speed. Werth should not be batting 2nd. Smh at Dusty

1 person likes this

Given the talent level that that Nats gave up for Eaton, it would be asinine not to give him every chance to succeed at the top of the lineup. Werth is near the end of a bloated contract, don't try to keep him happy when the goal is to win games - he's already a mega millionaire set for life.

2 people like this

Batting in the 2 hole is the best spot for a hitter to be in for fantasy purposes. Hoping that Eaton ends up there.

1 person likes this