JT Realmuto

Salvador Perez

Russell Martin

Yasmani Grandal

Yadier Molina

Brian McCann

3rd tier

Mike Zunino

Tom Murphy/Tony Walters (platoon? Watch PT)

Stephen Vogt (starting DH?)/ Bruce Maxwell (platoon catcher strong side)

Wellington Castillo/Chris Herrmann

Wilson Ramos(hurt)/Curt Casalil

Derek Norris (WAS)

4th Tier

Yan Gomes

Francisco Cervelli

Travis D’Arnaud

Devin Mesoraco

Caeron Rupp

5th

Sandy Leon/Christian Vazquez/Blake Swihart?

Austin Hedges/Christian Bettancourt

James Mccann/John Hicks

6th

Caleb Joseph  (BAL)

Jason Castro/ John Ryan Murphy (platoon MIN)

Omar Naravez/Kevan Smith (platoon CHW)

Jett Bandy/Carlos Perez (LAA)

Tyler Flowers/Anthony Recker (ATL)

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 6

Here are my super early catcher rankings with every team included.   

What do you think you would change a good amount.  I'd like to keep most of the discussion from the top 3, which are pretty set in stone. Some are more optimistic on Sanchez, some less, I get it. Not a ton to talk about with the top 3.

What would you disagree with a lot after the top 3? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Here are my super early catcher rankings with every team included.   

What do you think you would change a good amount.  I'd like to keep most of the discussion from the top 3, which are pretty set in stone. Some are more optimistic on Sanchez, some less, I get it. Not a ton to talk about with the top 3.

What would you disagree with a lot after the top 3? 

What is Ramos situation injury wise?  I like the TB landing spot for him and I would certainly put him in that 2nd tier if he is not going to miss a lot of time. 

Speaking of injuries, what is the update on Mesoraco?  

One of the guys not on your list and maybe a "sleeper" who I will monitor in Spring and may take a shot on is Andrew Susac, who was dealt to Milwaukee last year in the Smith trade to the Giants, always liked his bat when he filled in for Posey, not sure if he has a chance to unseed I guess Maldonado, but there is something there if he wrangles that job. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, taobball said:

What do you think the PT situation is right now for Gattis?

Could see him getting dealt, hopefully to someone who uses him as a DH or everyday player somewhere, which helps his C rankings.  My general opinion of him is that he is really underrated, I would much rather have him (wherever his ADP ends up) than Sanchez at his ADP.  

Washington at one point reported Ramos would be ready for every day work by May, but I think June or July has been guessed far more often. 

18 minutes ago, taobball said:

Washington at one point reported Ramos would be ready for every day work by May, but I think June or July has been guessed far more often. 

How many times a week will he be able to catch coming off an ACL ?

Just now, Brooklyn Dude said:

How many times a week will he be able to catch coming off an ACL ?

I mean that's a really good question, I'd think not as much. But the Nationals have been downplaying it for a while. Maybe he wanted the AL to ease him in? We'll see what the Tampa doctors say the first time we hear from them. I think he's got a chance of catching up in ABs down the stretch and being huge for Roto leagues who can find a way to get him on the roster a couple weeks before he comes up. I really do think the trade to the AL has to help his potential value for this year. There's also the chance, as someone said above, that he Devin Mesoraco's. So we'll have to see. 

2 minutes ago, taobball said:

I mean that's a really good question, I'd think not as much. But the Nationals have been downplaying it for a while. Maybe he wanted the AL to ease him in? We'll see what the Tampa doctors say the first time we hear from them. I think he's got a chance of catching up in ABs down the stretch and being huge for Roto leagues who can find a way to get him on the roster a couple weeks before he comes up. I really do think the trade to the AL has to help his potential value for this year. There's also the chance, as someone said above, that he Devin Mesoraco's. So we'll have to see. 

The AL seems perfect because he's such a good hitting catcher he can DH on some of those days he's not catching.  Shouldn't affect fantasy too much once he's back as long as he's still mashing the ball.

Edited by Brooklyn Dude

32 minutes ago, parrothead said:

What is Ramos situation injury wise?  I like the TB landing spot for him and I would certainly put him in that 2nd tier if he is not going to miss a lot of time. 

Speaking of injuries, what is the update on Mesoraco?  

One of the guys not on your list and maybe a "sleeper" who I will monitor in Spring and may take a shot on is Andrew Susac, who was dealt to Milwaukee last year in the Smith trade to the Giants, always liked his bat when he filled in for Posey, not sure if he has a chance to unseed I guess Maldonado, but there is something there if he wrangles that job. 

Love Susac as a sleeper this year. I think he's got a pretty good approach at the plate. He's still fairly young at 26, and should play a decent amount.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taobball said:

What do you think the PT situation is right now for Gattis?

I don't really see an opportunity for him to get full time at bats outside of injury. Shame too because he was looking like a good value at C for the upcoming year.

1 hour ago, parrothead said:

Yeah I forgot MLW, and then when I counted it up I had 30, but thats because I forgot I put Mccann and Gattis seperate. Probably putting Moladano/Susac in that 5th tier, maybe bolding Susac as an interesting name. Could change during ST.

3 hours ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Gary Sanchez overthrows Posey for the top ranked catcher this yr. Beast 

Well BOTH Jonathan Lucroy and Wilson Ramos overthrew Posey in fantasy baseball catcher rankings last year already.  Posey finished third and was lucky neither Sanchez nor Contreras even played all year.  Don't know why Posey had an off year (for him, most other catchers are envious) but that was what happened.

With Ruiz gone and Jorge Alfaro up in September if he gets most the season up in Philly he could be at least third tier and maybe second tier by the end of the season with his bat.

Wilson Ramos was smart to go to the AL.  He can get some playing time in at DH and not catch as much as in Washington.  IF he can stay healthy he is in the first tier for sure.  But that is a big if and he won't be back before the All Star break most likely.  And yes the severity of his injury is indeed worrisome.

I guess Gattis comes down to who ends up with him whether he will play at catcher or not. 

Scherwaber gonna get enough plate appearances to keep catcher eligibility?  He only needs 5 in Yahoo. 

Devin Mesoraco is a very dark horse wild card.  One excellent year followed by two years basically on the DL.  One year is one thing but missing two years he may have lost his chance.  Still a late rounds possibility if you keep 2 catchers.

Late season cup of coffee for Chance Sisco with the O's maybe?  Next prospect catcher up after Alfaro most likely so keep an eye on him.

My top catchers are Gary Sanchez (think he is legit and Yankee Stadium was built for him), Lucroy in the Texas line-up and on a contender finally, Posey, Contreras getting better and better with Wilson Ramos the second half wild card and Realmundo and Sal Perez for stable and consistent B+ stats. 

Gattis it depends where he plays and Schwarber it would probably take an short, temp injury to Contreras or Montero to get 5 games in behind the plate.  Alfaro for the long term.  Zunino showed improvement as did Grandal.  I like Tom Murphy if he can get decent playing time.

Forgot Russell Martin.  He is the Jay Bruce of catchers.  The poster boy for streaky hitters.  He can go from glacial ice cold to super white hot and back again.  I'm fine with him and riding his awesome streaks if I have two catchers on my team for his sometimes really long and super deep slumps.  But not if I carry only one catcher.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

gary sanchez will be number 1 and its not even close! - Rush

but seriously, Gary touches the ball and it leaves yankee stadium....its more of a hitters park than the old stadium for sure.

14 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

40% HR/FB.  I think he's really good, but I would probably just go with the safety of Posey at #1 if I was taking a pitcher early.

If you want just safety I'd think Lucroy would be a better choice than Posey.  He did better than Posey last year and that was even before he went to Texas and that better line-up.

But I'd still take Gary Sanchez first.  He was being used as a DH a lot when not catching so he was getting almost full time ABs.  Now if the Yankees land Encarnacion maybe that won't happen but any other DH free agent might have to give up a few ABs to Sanchez when he isn't catching.  And again Yankee Stadium for Sanchez is like playing at Coors Field for most other players.  It fits him like a glove.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

If you want just safety I'd think Lucroy would be a better choice than Posey.  He did better than Posey last year and that was even before he went to Texas and that better line-up.

Um, no. "Better last year" =/= safer

55 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Right there with you. I think we're pretty clearly the minority tho

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

40% HR/FB.  I think he's really good, but I would probably just go with the safety of Posey at #1 if I was taking a pitcher early.

Okay but saying he won't have a 40 HR/FB is essentially the same as saying you don't think he's hitting 45 homers this season.

I think Norris has a bounce back year, benefits from the lineup. Change of scenery, playing for a contender. Not saying superstar numbers but I can see top 10/15

Edited by sneer

42 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Why?  He and Posey have been pretty equal in the past and last year Lucroy pulled ahead to stay.

Not really.

In 2012, Posey beat Lucroy in 4/5 roto categories

In 2013 Posey beat Lucroy in 3/5

In 2014, 3/5

In 2015, 5/5

And then in 2016 Lucroy edged him 2-3.

Lucroy has been really good for a catcher. Posey has been really good period.

This is like how people always think in fantasy football that other tight ends are close to Gronk because they were good for a tight end, but Gronk is good period.

I knew you would bite on that post, hah.  I'd still rather own Lucroy with that Rangers line-up.  And Lucroy was the top catcher in all fantasy baseball last year followed very very closely by Wilson Ramos who actually lead both going into September.  Posey wasn't that close to either of them compared to how close they were to each other rankings wise.  It is all about what you have done for me lately for me.  I could care less about 2012.  That is ancient history in baseball.

I'm not saying Posey is cooked.  But I am saying he did drop off for the first time and that raises an eyebrow.  The canary in the coal mine or just an off year he bounces back from?  Still better than most catchers, true.  But he isn't going to be as good as one named Sanchez going forward I bet.  ;-)

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I knew you would bite on that post, hah.  I'd still rather own Lucroy with that Rangers line-up.  And Lucroy was the top catcher in all fantasy baseball last year followed very very closely by Wilson Ramos who actually lead both going into September.  Posey wasn't that close to either of them compared to how close they were to each other rankings wise.  It is all about what you have done for me lately for me.  I could care less about 2012.  That is ancient history in baseball.

I'm not saying Posey is cooked.  But I am saying he did drop off for the first time and that raises an eyebrow.  The canary in the coal mine or just an off year he bounces back from?  Still better than most catchers, true.  But he isn't going to be as good as one named Sanchez going forward I bet.  ;-)

That's a justifiable opinion to pick Lucroy over Posey. I happen to think Posey will bounce back, so it's not an opinion I share, but it is justifiable.

But saying Lucroy is safer is just wrong when Posey beat him every year except last year