DerekQ

Byron Buxton 2017 Outlook

558 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Deke said:

He only has 3 SBs...

But the point is he's coming out of this low he's been in and getting hot not that he's been some monster all year. And if he gets on he steals.

he only has 11 hits, 9 BBs, and 3 SBs on the year.

of those, 5 hits, 7 BBs, and 2SBs have come in his last 6 games played.

i don't remember the exact date but I want to say 6 games ago is when torii Hunter worked with him and he's been really good ever since.

2 hours ago, Deke said:

He only has 3 SBs...

I think he's been on base, like, 5 times this year. HA!!

3 people like this

3 hours ago, motown magic said:

Yup! That saying . You can't steal first base.

i had my turns with this clown. He fooled me twice . Not happening a third time 

Man, I wish you could steal first. Like, just drop the bat and run. Would be hilarious to see.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Man, I wish you could steal first. Like, just drop the bat and run. Would be hilarious to see.

Ty Cobb would steal 2nd, then run back and "steal 1st" just to steal 2nd again to F with the other team. Haha legend. 

3 people like this

10 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Ty Cobb would steal 2nd, then run back and "steal 1st" just to steal 2nd again to F with the other team. Haha legend. 

Stop.

1 person likes this

Going to repay ppl who stuck with him after that dreadful April.

3 people like this

8 minutes ago, gopherman23 said:

10.71 seconds on that triple. Billy Hamilton had the fast triple last year at 10.45 seconds. 

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/05/04/1349387683/1493861945150/asset_2500K.mp4

Buxton also made this nice catch the half-inning beforehand.

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/05/04/1349323983/1493861476242/asset_2500K.mp4

Buxton is the 2nd fastest player in the league no question. 

could have done without the bunt attempt. Not sure what the pt of that was but the triple was fantastic!! Also made a great catch in CF. This dude has a motor

I traded him away but I'm still cheeirng for him. Guys with his athleticism are fun to watch. 

2 hours ago, gopherman23 said:

10.71 seconds on that triple. Billy Hamilton had the fast triple last year at 10.45 seconds. 

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/05/04/1349387683/1493861945150/asset_2500K.mp4

Buxton also made this nice catch the half-inning beforehand.

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/05/04/1349323983/1493861476242/asset_2500K.mp4

He came into third standing. With the way the relay came in if he had torn around 3rd, he might not have made it into home, but it would have been close. The dude can motor. Please steal 25+ bases and all will be forgiven Buxton. 

1 minute ago, wh3931110 said:

Is he dead? Or will he be ok?

He made hard contact with the wall a couple times (blew open the bullpen door one of the times). Hopefully just bruised but was pulled after the inning the second time. 

Ugh.... Maybe the just want to make sure he doesn't kill himself the rest of the day:ph34r:

[Disclaimer: 100% speculation] I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled him as a precautionary move considering how much improvement he's showing and how young he is.

Edited by matdotmarshall

5 minutes ago, matdotmarshall said:

[Disclaimer: 100% speculation] I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled him as a precautionary move considering how much improvement he's showing and how young he is.

Hope you are right

I'm glad he is ok....I hate owning guys that hustle. Let the ball go by Bux and stay in the game

3 minutes ago, Zombies said:

Interesting write up on Buxton's first 162 games in the majors...Interesting to note that management and coaches admit they screwed him up...

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=31746

Oh stop with the excuses for poor Byron. Trout also struggled his first time around and was sent down. Did he also have issues after getting demoted the first time around?

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Oh stop with the excuses for poor Byron. Trout also struggled his first time around and was sent down. Did he also have issues after getting demoted the first time around?

Did every coach under the sun try to tinker with his approach and change his style of hitting? Don't think so...

No, but if you are good enough, you really should not be affected by that. He doesnt even have the injury excuse like say Pollock. He is just bad.

9 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

No, but if you are good enough, you really should not be affected by that. He doesnt even have the injury excuse like say Pollock. He is just bad.

I agree, he's been horrid, but hardly worth writing off altogether at age 23...