2ndCitySox

David Dahl 2017 Outlook

567 posts in this topic

Darling David Dahl had a very solid rookie debut (.315/.359/.500, with 7 HR and 5 SB in 63 games) and plays in hitter Valhalla Coors. He did have a .400! BABIP last year, so regression is a comin. I would like to see a better walk rate too. 

 

That being said I really like him to go 20/20 next year. I think he will have a favorable lineup slot. I don't know if I would quite trust him as an OF2 just yet, but as an OF3 I'd be pretty happy (standard 12 team league). Plus ya know, Coors. If you want to roll the dice on an upside youth pick for your OF, Dahl isn't a bad man to click the draft button for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Darling David Dahl had a very solid rookie debut (.315/.359/.500, with 7 HR and 5 SB in 63 games) and plays in hitter Valhalla Coors. He did have a .400! BABIP last year, so regression is a comin. I would like to see a better walk rate too. 

 

That being said I really like him to go 20/20 next year. I think he will have a favorable lineup slot. I don't know if I would quite trust him as an OF2 just yet, but as an OF3 I'd be pretty happy (standard 12 team league). Plus ya know, Coors. If you want to roll the dice on an upside youth pick for your OF, Dahl isn't a bad man to click the draft button for.

Looking like pretty damn good value. Slugged above. 400 and .500+ throughout minors in large samples. Could hit .260, could hit .280 next year. Strikesout a lot but Coors/power is definltely there to make up for it. A good amount of walks too to keep the steals going 

Edited by 2016FantasyChamp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, elrey said:

So we're done calling him Daddy Dick?

 

Yes. Thats done.

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the talk is Desmond could play some 1B, but I need to see how this all shakes out. Gotta wonder if best case Dahl is sitting a day or two/week right now (assuming Blackmon or Cargo aren't moved). But even best case, where does he hit? 

 

Blackmon
LeMahieu
Arenado
Gonzalez
Desmond
Story
Dahl
 

I'd project him hitting 7th. I went from him likely being my final keeper to probably not, so watching situation carefully. Just seems like a drop in average, and limited counting stats, could cause him to be over drafted. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I know the talk is Desmond could play some 1B, but I need to see how this all shakes out. Gotta wonder if best case Dahl is sitting a day or two/week right now (assuming Blackmon or Cargo aren't moved). But even best case, where does he hit? 

 

Blackmon
LeMahieu
Arenado
Gonzalez
Desmond
Story
Dahl
 

I'd project him hitting 7th. I went from him likely being my final keeper to probably not, so watching situation carefully. Just seems like a drop in average, and limited counting stats, could cause him to be over drafted. 

if he hits he wont be hitting 7th all year

 

alot of things can happen for him to get a bump in lineup

1 cargo injury

2 cargo/blackmon trade

2 story regresses

3 desmond hits like he did in 2nd half of last year  237/283/347

4 break up the r/r of story and desmond

 

im not ready to disscount dahl because of the possibility of lower lineup spot/counting stats but i would if he isnt getting a full time gig and desmond gets some OF playing time

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 8:41 AM, Backdoor Slider said:

I know the talk is Desmond could play some 1B, but I need to see how this all shakes out. Gotta wonder if best case Dahl is sitting a day or two/week right now (assuming Blackmon or Cargo aren't moved). But even best case, where does he hit? 

 

Blackmon
LeMahieu
Arenado
Gonzalez
Desmond
Story
Dahl
 

I'd project him hitting 7th. I went from him likely being my final keeper to probably not, so watching situation carefully. Just seems like a drop in average, and limited counting stats, could cause him to be over drafted. 

damn that's a nice lineup 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

Only nice because of coors, put it anywhere else it would be mediocre.

 

Do you think he'll/they'll be traded? 

Edited by taobball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, taobball said:

 

Do you think he'll/they'll be traded? 

The point is someone said nice lineup, but it's not really a nice lineup, just a nice ballpark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

The point is someone said nice lineup, but it's not really a nice lineup, just a nice ballpark

 

I guess my point is that anything more than a semantic argument? 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just stating facts,. Coors makes players better and that's why I like owning them.  Just a observation.  I think the Rockies are actually putting together a good team,offensively.  If they could add some arms and a bullpen they'd be pretty hard to handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

Only nice because of coors, put it anywhere else it would be mediocre.

in 2016 the six who were already rockies averaged a 120 wRC+, which is park adjusted.

they were good in any park, not just coors, according to the numbers.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

take only 80% of all those guys numbers, and that's still a strong lineup.

y'all trippin 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, taobball said:

 

Do you think he'll/they'll be traded? 

I heard they are moving to LA with the Chargers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to put the brakes on the Dahl train a bit, with all their depth he might be the one forced to start in the minors: 

 

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/could-david-dahl-start-in-the-minors/

 

Crazy really the whole Desmond signing and whoever knows what the Rockies are planning. But I didn't realise Dahl only had 60 odd PAs in AAA, so it seems like they did promote him a bit hastily (not that it showed). We all want Cargo or Blackmon to be traded but why hasn't it happened by now, other teams lowered opinions of Rockies hitters due to the Coors effect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i saw that article but i'll be really surprised if it happens. i mean if he utterly tanks in the spring anything's possible, but that's true of anybody that young. i'd be really surprised if sending dahl back down was their actual freely chosen plan. i think fangraphs is just running out of stuff to write about during the holiday break

 

dahl might not start every single game early on if their team is crowded enough, but that's as far as i can see it going unless he slumps so atrociously he forces them to do something, and in that case they'd demote him even if they didn't sign desmond

Edited by wily mo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Just to put the brakes on the Dahl train a bit, with all their depth he might be the one forced to start in the minors: 

 

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/could-david-dahl-start-in-the-minors/

 

Crazy really the whole Desmond signing and whoever knows what the Rockies are planning. But I didn't realise Dahl only had 60 odd PAs in AAA, so it seems like they did promote him a bit hastily (not that it showed). We all want Cargo or Blackmon to be traded but why hasn't it happened by now, other teams lowered opinions of Rockies hitters due to the Coors effect?

Yeah I saw that and got sad because Dahl is a guy I'd like to keep in my short-term keeper league. But if the Rockies don't acquire a 1b of any magnitude, I'll feel better about his chances of breaking with the big boys in April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Yeah I saw that and got sad because Dahl is a guy I'd like to keep in my short-term keeper league. But if the Rockies don't acquire a 1b of any magnitude, I'll feel better about his chances of breaking with the big boys in April.

I think Dahl still plays the majority of the time in the OF. Blackmon, CarGo, Dahl... I'd guess he gets minimum of 80% of the ABs over Parra, assuming we take away any injuries/off days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right but the theory from the fangraphs article was that Desmond would play OF if the Rox acquire a decent 1B. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Right but the theory from the fangraphs article was that Desmond would play OF if the Rox acquire a decent 1B. 

Well, Cargo is getting up there in age and could always go to 1B. Or Desmond or even Dahl. 1B isn't an awfully hard position to play (for MLBers... I'd have a hard time knowing where the bag is!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of cheap (and not so cheap) mashers are still available to man 1B.  Guys like Carter, Trumbo, even Brandon Moss can take advantage of the mountain air on affordable (and, depending on if things don't pan out for the Rockies by midseason, tradeable) contracts.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Well, Cargo is getting up there in age and could always go to 1B. Or Desmond or even Dahl. 1B isn't an awfully hard position to play (for MLBers... I'd have a hard time knowing where the bag is!)

I agree. Again if they sign someone to play 1b there is potential that Double D won't break with the bigs, although I would find that to be pretty dumb. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cargo isn't exactly the picture of health.. I'm sure the Rockies consider depth a good thing. Even if dahl has to split playing time in the beginning, he'll get a fair amount of time and when cargo hits the DL you've got a great lottery ticket playing in Coors. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.